NOVA, Salus, and Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAlmighty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently scheduled for an interview at Salus, Western, and NOVA. I have some difficulty gauging at the pro's and con's of these schools.

I hear Western has good dedicated and nice professors, good curriculum. However it is not accredited but little people are concerned because they most likely will be accredited. They do not have any info on the rotational program because it takes new schools a while to get their rotational program set up

I hear NOVA has a decent curriculum and professors. They are accredited and have a good rep. And they have a good rotational program.

I hear Salus has a solid curriculum but their professors can be mean sometimes because they've been around for a while and do not care how the students are treated. It is an accredited program nontheless. They have a decent rotational program as well.

Anyone else, current students have insight on this? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think all of the schools are good schools, many a times it depends on your dedication and what you make of it. However, you will see after your interviews that you will come up with your own lists of pros and cons for each depending on your personal experience with each. A lot of people say that ultimately you should pick the school where your debt will be the least and where you'll be the happiest.

I didn't apply to Western but I did apply to Nova and Salus. I got into both schools and turned them both down. What I didn't like about Salus was that the clinic was about 15 minutes away from the school and they didn't even have a shuttle or anything, meaning I would've had to drive my car there in the snow and cold weather (I'm from Florida). Also Salus has a pretty high tuition. I turned down Nova because I didn't like that I would be sharing a building with the dentistry, pharmacy, medical etc students. When I interviewed it seemed way too crowded for me, the cafeteria, the library, the hallways, there were people everywhere. I think deeper down I really just want to get out of Florida as well, but this made me realize that I would be happier at a stand-alone optometry school, not a big university. Again, my decision was made on personal experience. One persons con may be another persons pro, or vice versa, it just depends how you look at it. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear Salus has a solid curriculum but their professors can be mean sometimes because they've been around for a while and do not care how the students are treated. It is an accredited program nontheless. They have a decent rotational program as well.

This is such a strange criticism that I think you must have talked to someone who had a bad experience with a particular professor. I can't imagine a lot of students or alums going around saying this. Salus, like any other school, has its strengths and weaknesses, but for the most part, the professors are really nice and helpful. Even the ones who are a little older laugh and joke around with the students. I would actually say that the personalities of the professors really add to the school. Sure, you might get someone that you don't like for a certain class or something, but the professors are way more personable than most of the ones I had in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really know much about NOVA and I turned down an interview at Salus, but I'm currently going to Western and I LOVE it! The admin/faculty really cares about their students and most of them have the most infectious personality. You see patients 5 weeks into school. It is incredibly motivating when you can apply what you learn practically immediately. The area is a little on the shady side, but you see a lot of visual problems in the immediate populations as well as surrounding areas like LA or the OC. There are so many vision screenings that allow you to practice what you learned. Good luck and hope to see you here next year!

Thanks for all the insightful responses!

I am actually leaning a lot towards Western just because it is closer (I live in California) and I hear good things about them, good professors and good curriculum. But they are a new school and not as established as other schools. I do feel somewhat confident that I can make the most of my time at the school. I just don't want to be rejected from places after I graduate and not get hired because my degree is from a less established school :(

I think all of the schools are good schools, many a times it depends on your dedication and what you make of it. However, you will see after your interviews that you will come up with your own lists of pros and cons for each depending on your personal experience with each. A lot of people say that ultimately you should pick the school where your debt will be the least and where you'll be the happiest.

Again, my decision was made on personal experience. One persons con may be another persons pro, or vice versa, it just depends how you look at it. Best of luck.

I feel like my debt would be similar at all 3 schools. Maybe Western might save me a bit of money just because I am from California so I might not need to buy another car.

Yeah hopefully I can better assess my options after I interview at these schools.

I don't really know much about NOVA and I turned down an interview at Salus, but I'm currently going to Western and I LOVE it!

The admin/faculty really cares about their students and most of them have the most infectious personality. You see patients 5 weeks into school. It is incredibly motivating when you can apply what you learn practically immediately. The area is a little on the shady side, but you see a lot of visual problems in the immediate populations as well as surrounding areas like LA or the OC. There are so many vision screenings that allow you to practice what you learned. Good luck and hope to see you here next year!

Why did you turn down an interview at Salus?

Thanks! Yeah I have been hearing a lot of great things about Western's curriculum too.

Salus, like any other school, has its strengths and weaknesses, but for the most part, the professors are really nice and helpful. Even the ones who are a little older laugh and joke around with the students. I would actually say that the personalities of the professors really add to the school. Sure, you might get someone that you don't like for a certain class or something, but the professors are way more personable than most of the ones I had in undergrad.

That's good to hear :) But I also came to realize PCO offers almost every applicant an interview :( And their clinic is like a 15 minute drive from campus? Not sure how much that matters but it seems like a very well established school. It feels like a degree from there will look way better than one from Western... lol

I turned down Salus primarily because of location, I did hear good things about their technology though. It's probably a dumb reason, but I got an interview to Salus so early that I didn't think they were competitive enough and I didn't want to waste money flying out to an area that wasn't high on my school rankings anyways. Now that you've said Salus offers an interview to practically everyone...kinda solidified that decision.

Personally, I wouldn't emphasize so much on school reputation because the faculty changes all the time and THAT IMO is the most indicative of how effective the school will be in helping you pass the NBEO and becoming a good OD. (Aside from your own efforts of course). NECO was my first choice but then I realized many of those doctors are now at Western. Western also emphasizes on humanism, treating the patient as a whole, and giving back to your community which is super important to me. Another reason why I would not emphasize on how old a school is, is that the more set they are in their way of teaching, the less flexible they are to a changing profession.

Of course, it's up to you. These are just my reasons for me. Good luck! I'm sure you'd do well no matter where you go as long as you have a strong passion for the profession.

Hi. I am currently scheduled for an interview at Salus, Western, and NOVA. I have some difficulty gauging at the pro's and con's of these schools.

I hear Western has good dedicated and nice professors, good curriculum. However it is not accredited but little people are concerned because they most likely will be accredited. They do not have any info on the rotational program because it takes new schools a while to get their rotational program set up

I hear NOVA has a decent curriculum and professors. They are accredited and have a good rep. And they have a good rotational program.

I just did some research on them before the interviews and then weighed the pros and cons after I found out whether I was accepted. That way I didn't get my hopes up to only have them all cut down. I'll give you some food for thought, though:

Western - yea, the limited rotations thing sounds like a program. Unless you really really like it during the interview, it's cheaper, etc., then I would skip.

Don't know about NOVA.

Salus - They know what they're doing, probably because they've been doing this whole optometry school thing the longest. You will get a good education. Also, the 3 PCO grads I shadowed all liked it a lot. Additionally, it is one of the bigger programs, which I liked because I won't be "stuck" with the same faces for four years. I agree with some earlier posters that the criticism is oddly specific and that the teacher issue may be an individual gripe rather than a festering school dilemma. Also, note that Salus is private and expensive.

I just did some research on them before the interviews and then weighed the pros and cons after I found out whether I was accepted. That way I didn't get my hopes up to only have them all cut down. I'll give you some food for thought, though:

Western - yea, the limited rotations thing sounds like a PROBLEM. Unless you really really like it during the interview, it's cheaper, etc., then I would skip.

Don't know about NOVA.

Salus - They know what they're doing, probably because they've been doing this whole optometry school thing the longest. You will get a good education. Also, the 3 PCO grads I shadowed all liked it a lot. Additionally, it is one of the bigger programs, which I liked because I wouldn't be "stuck" with the same faces for four years. I agree with some earlier posters that the criticism is oddly specific and that the teacher issue may be an individual gripe rather than a festering school dilemma. Also, note that Salus is private and expensive.

Ah mistakes mistakes!

I just had my interview at Western and i LOVED it... It's kind of weird, everyone was so nice, the facility was very new, the students gave helpful advice, close to home, good weather, etc. I just had an overall good feeling after touring the school for the second time.

Western - yea, the limited rotations thing sounds like a program. Unless you really really like it during the interview, it's cheaper, etc., then I would skip.

Also, note that Salus is private and expensive.

I think Western and many of the schools are also private?

I turned down Salus primarily because of location, I did hear good things about their technology though. It's probably a dumb reason, but I got an interview to Salus so early that I didn't think they were competitive enough and I didn't want to waste money flying out to an area that wasn't high on my school rankings anyways. Now that you've said Salus offers an interview to practically everyone...kinda solidified that decision.

Personally, I wouldn't emphasize so much on school reputation because the faculty changes all the time and THAT IMO is the most indicative of how effective the school will be in helping you pass the NBEO and becoming a good OD. (Aside from your own efforts of course). NECO was my first choice but then I realized many of those doctors are now at Western. Western also emphasizes on humanism, treating the patient as a whole, and giving back to your community which is super important to me. Another reason why I would not emphasize on how old a school is, is that the more set they are in their way of teaching, the less flexible they are to a changing profession.

Of course, it's up to you. These are just my reasons for me. Good luck! I'm sure you'd do well no matter where you go as long as you have a strong passion for the profession.

Im hearing this more and more often that people shouldn't emphasize too much on school reputation, which does make sense. The guy that gave the presentation on the schools curriculum when I had my interview at Western actually moved from NECO.

I am more drawn towards Western now but then again this was my first interview. I still have NOVA, Salus, and UIW to interview for atm and am thinking of turning down 1 or 2 if I am accepted to Western.

Were there a lot of applicants at the interview? I just submitted my application (pretty late). Good luck

I think 16 people were interviewed that day. I think it's never too late try :)

Yes, do weigh out the pros and cons. I think you should go with your gut feeling because you know who you are and where you would fit in the most.

On a side note, I probably saw you, The Almighty! Hope everything went well.

For rotations, we have it set up and I know there are a lot of sites. I'm not too sure about specifics since I'm a first year. We started our clerkships though and the ODs in the surrounding areas are Quite varied in specialties. Plus side is, we've been out in the field a lot for vision screenings, community screenings, etc. Pretty cool!

So excited for y'all! Hope you guys get into the schools you want!

I was just offered an interview at NECO but thing is they want me there either this or next Friday, which is very soon considering I am from CA and I have a midterm next Friday...

When I asked, they told me their class is already 3/4 full and that if I cannot make it by next Friday, I will be scheduled for late Feb/March (if scheduled at all) and my odds will be lower because of rolling admissions :(

Should I go to the interview? Im still so confused about how much the name of the school I attend matters when I job hunt etc... because I know NECO is older than WesternUCO...but maybe deep down I want to stay in CA.. ugh -__-

On a side note, I probably saw you, The Almighty! Hope everything went well.

For rotations, we have it set up and I know there are a lot of sites. I'm not too sure about specifics since I'm a first year. We started our clerkships though and the ODs in the surrounding areas are Quite varied in specialties. Plus side is, we've been out in the field a lot for vision screenings, community screenings, etc. Pretty cool!

So excited for y'all! Hope you guys get into the schools you want!

I thought it was okay. Im still waiting to hear back since they will notify me via snail mail.

Maybe you did see me. I apologize in advance for the ridiculous username though if we ever meet in person (or maybe we have met already). Fortunately for me, you did not know which one of the 16 interviewees I was haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Salus, and I'm doing well academically, but I wish I had picked Western U. So, that might help some people out. Salus has a lot of good people and they are really strong in some things, but overall, I think they're coasting on their reputation quite a bit at this point.

I go to Salus, and I'm doing well academically, but I wish I had picked Western U. So, that might help some people out. Salus has a lot of good people and they are really strong in some things, but overall, I think they're coasting on their reputation quite a bit at this point.

Is it because of the rumor that they "interview everyone"?

I'm a Nova first year and turned down PCO. (Didn't apply to any unaccredited schools, sorry Western) but I thought that the 160+ class size at PCO was a bit daunting in my opinion. Location wasn't the nicest (and I'm not comparing Florida to PA, I'm saying Philly in general-and I'm from DC-I was a little afraid.)

Nova has been around for close to 30 years and has great rotation sites set up and you can petition to set your own up if you find a facility and a doctor worthy and willing to teach. It's a long process from what I hear but a cool option.

My understanding is that PCO is the only school out of the 3 where you don't have interdisciplinary classes. Here and at Western some first year sciences (1 for us 1st semester and 2 this one) were shared with other programs. Dental mostly for us. PCO only has an Au.D and PA program so I'm not sure if there is a lot of curriculum crossover, but I could be wrong, I just haven't spoken to any students there about it. Either way, I find it to not be a big deal. All our OD classes are obviously just us, and our class is just over 100. (103?)

What I'm not a huge fan of at Nova is the "mandatory attendance policy" that all the health professions have to abide by. We have the scrub dress code, but that honestly just makes it easy to get dressed in the morning. I just wish we had a better color :( But requiring students that are all adults to go to class is insane. We are supposed to fill out ABSENCE forms if we miss class. COME ON. We know what teachers are strict on attendance and which ones aren't. We also know which ones have good notes online and who we can avoid class...they are usually the ones who aren't strict on attendance. We skip these and nobody says anything. I do better in these classes-ironic, isn't it. Nope, since I learn visually, not by being read information off slides. I can do that myself. End rant.

What I'm not a huge fan of at Nova is the "mandatory attendance policy" that all the health professions have to abide by. We have the scrub dress code, but that honestly just makes it easy to get dressed in the morning. I just wish we had a better color :( But requiring students that are all adults to go to class is insane. We are supposed to fill out ABSENCE forms if we miss class. COME ON. We know what teachers are strict on attendance and which ones aren't. We also know which ones have good notes online and who we can avoid class...they are usually the ones who aren't strict on attendance. We skip these and nobody says anything. I do better in these classes-ironic, isn't it. Nope, since I learn visually, not by being read information off slides. I can do that myself. End rant.

Oh my goodness, that is ridiculous. The attendance policy alone would have kept me far from NOVA. A lot of us at PCO skip a decent amount and still do fine. In fact, I think it lets us do better because we're allowed to plan out our study time better. From what I can tell, a lot of optometry schools need a massive overhaul. This kind of stuff is so pointless. I really wish that optometry students could band together and get some of these kinds of policies changed. If people weren't willing to pay, then the schools would adapt. And then you hear all of these stories about the declining job market (which I have heard from many a recent grad)...

I heard the same thing about Salus, from both students that alum. The professors can sometimes be mean and say things like "you're not meant to be an eye doctor". Granted like every person has their day, I could have been a bad one. Regardless of the rumors, Salus is my dream school since I was a little girl and nothing not even a crabby professor can change that. I think if you have that kind of attitude.. then you can make the right choice for you. No matter what the type, the school is what YOU make of it, it either FITS you or it doesn't. Good luck in your choices :)

I heard the same thing about Salus, from both students that alum. The professors can sometimes be mean and say things like "you're not meant to be an eye doctor". Granted like every person has their day, I could have been a bad one. Regardless of the rumors, Salus is my dream school since I was a little girl and nothing not even a crabby professor can change that. I think if you have that kind of attitude.. then you can make the right choice for you. No matter what the type, the school is what YOU make of it, it either FITS you or it doesn't. Good luck in your choices :)

To a degree, but some things are beyond our control.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck, and yeah don't let the words of one professor deter you. Most of them are really friendly.

Last edited:
Is it because of the rumor that they "interview everyone"?

No, this isn't what I was referring to specifically. I don't know much about their interview process. I guess you would need to look at statistics on the percentage of interviewees who are accepted.

I'm a Nova first year and turned down PCO. (Didn't apply to any unaccredited schools, sorry Western) but I thought that the 160+ class size at PCO was a bit daunting in my opinion. Location wasn't the nicest (and I'm not comparing Florida to PA, I'm saying Philly in general-and I'm from DC-I was a little afraid.)

I don't even have mandatory attendance in undergrad...

In a few days, I will be interviewing at Salus and Nova. I guess I'll form my own opinion of them then. I do think Western remains one of my top choices for now. I had an interview there 3-4 weeks ago and no decision has been made yet. I am very glad my other interviews are scheduled a month later so if I got into anywhere else, I wouldn't be forced to make a decision before hearing back from Western. (Apparently the school has been really busy with accreditation)

Is Philly like very dangerous or something? I have never been there.. but at least the area looks decent on Google maps street view lol..

No, this isn't what I was referring to specifically. I don't know much about their interview process. I guess you would need to look at statistics on the percentage of interviewees who are accepted.

Haha what were you referring to? And yeah I saw this a while ago but they do not disclose how many people they interview.

http://www.salus.edu/optometry/od_ClassProfile2012.pdf

PCO had an applicant who was 61 years old. I'm all learn until you die, but 61 y.o. in optometry school would be hilarious :laugh:

Oh my goodness, that is ridiculous. The attendance policy alone would have kept me far from NOVA. A lot of us at PCO skip a decent amount and still do fine. In fact, I think it lets us do better because we're allowed to plan out our study time better. From what I can tell, a lot of optometry schools need a massive overhaul. This kind of stuff is so pointless. I really wish that optometry students could band together and get some of these kinds of policies changed. If people weren't willing to pay, then the schools would adapt. And then you hear all of these stories about the declining job market (which I have heard from many a recent grad)...

Yeah the attendance thing is heinous, we still skip. We're all adults and not everyone learns the same way and some of us learn better not sitting in class on our own. We're also paying $30,000 for tuition-we should be able to do what we want.