Nova Southeastern BS/DO Class of 2016/2017

FutureCTDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just admitted to NSU's BS/DO for the 8 year program. I was wondering who else has been admitted. There's a facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=61978033959

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! im in the 8yr too ;)
so excited for fall ;)

What are the stats required to get into a BS/DO program. I wonder if my sister would be interested...

What are the stats required to get into a BS/DO program. I wonder if my sister would be interested...

I had a 1340/1600 and a 4.85 weighted average. Good LORs, hundreds of hours of shadowing in vitreo-retinal and corneal-refractive surg, in both clinical/medical situations and in surgery. In addition to all this I did really well in my interview. You can probably get in with lesser stats but I don't know how often that happens.

Congratulations!

Just curious, what is the tuition at the combined program?

Thanks, but I am curious as to why they want your Cr and Math scores only now? :) The SATs are now measured out of 2400.

So scaling your score: you had a 2010 and a high GPA basically. However, your experiences were really unique: not many high school students have observed surgery.

Anyway, good luck :thumbup: and thanks for the info!

Another question: did you ask questions relating to OMM and the why DO lecture?

Thanks, but I am curious as to why they want your Cr and Math scores only now? :) The SATs are now measured out of 2400.

So scaling your score: you had a 2010 and a high GPA basically. However, your experiences were really unique: not many high school students have observed surgery.

Anyway, good luck :thumbup: and thanks for the info!

Another question: did you ask questions relating to OMM and the why DO lecture?

They only care about CR and Math in the program at least for minimums. On their site for dual admissions they have a list of requirements. I did ask about OMM it is a part of their curriculum, I toured the OMM lab it was really nice. It is an important part of the curriculum as it is a part of COMLEX Step I. However it isn't given top billing. I did not get the why DO lecture/question. I had some from my essay which mentioned a rural focus. My dad is an MD so that's how I was able to do surgery he graduated from Penn State-JMC 5 year BS/MD in the late 70's so I knew what to expect regarding these programs. It is a really nice pleasant interview. If you go to interview feedback I filled one out for NSU in late March or early April. I'll try to find the address for it.

20K Undergrad and 27K for FL residents and 35k OOS for Med school
Thats not too bad at all, actually.

Thats nothing compared the ridiculous 50k per for the 8 yr BA/MD program offered at Union College/AMC.

And Ft Lauderdale versus Albany? Fogettabout it! :D Take it an run!

Do they give you some special tuition discount? The instate tuition for Nova is 32,300 this year for the DO school.

Do they give you some special tuition discount? The instate tuition for Nova is 32,300 this year for the DO school.
Maybe things have changed. I don't know in that regard. Are you including fees? Are you in the BS/DO?

I was just wondering for everybody in the program is anyone from CT? Where is everybody from?

Who is going to NSU for the BS/DO? I haven't heard from that many people as to whether they plan to go or not.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Congrats guys!

I had a 1340/1600 and a 4.85 weighted average. Good LORs, hundreds of hours of shadowing in vitreo-retinal and corneal-refractive surg, in both clinical/medical situations and in surgery. In addition to all this I did really well in my interview. You can probably get in with lesser stats but I don't know how often that happens.

Why didnt you apply to UMs 7 year program? also with stats like this youre bound to do well in undergrad and mcats, why settle for nova? there are much better schools out there. This isnt a shot at nova, i just dont understand why youd commit yourself to a school (any school really) now before even starting college?

Why didnt you apply to UMs 7 year program? also with stats like this youre bound to do well in undergrad and mcats, why settle for nova? there are much better schools out there. This isnt a shot at nova, i just dont understand why youd commit yourself to a school (any school really) now before even starting college?

I applied to other programs and made my choice of Nova for several reasons A) flexible, they will allow me to transfer 30 AP credits B) the DO/DMD which is huge for me as medicine goes down the tubes I have the option to practice dentistry C) Nova had nicer facilities D) They offered to allow me a Leave of absence to pursue a JD or MBA even if it wasn't at NSU

Also as to commitment in a BS/MD or BS/DO if you don't care for the med school apply elsewhere or transfer after MS-I or II. If you get a decent basic sciences gpa plus a halfway decent Step you can transfer. In a combined program if nothing else you are guaranteed a med school spot.