Nova students: Get ready for the MTE...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, future classmates. If you have not been alerted, be aware that we will be taking a medical terminology exam during orientation week. This exam will consist of 150 questions. In order to prepare for it, we must purchase a textbook titled, "Medical Terminology, 3rd edition" by Barbara A. Gylys and Regina M. Masters. The book contains 587 pages. Fortunately, it's not very expensive, as you can find it on such websites as Amazon.com for $38.90.

PS: Vacation time is over to an extent, considering the book is almost 600 pages. So, let's start preparing now.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, future classmates. If you have not been alerted, be aware that we will be taking a medical terminology exam during orientation week. This exam will consist of 150 questions. In order to prepare for it, we must purchase a textbook titled, "Medical Terminology, 3rd edition" by Barbara A. Gylys and Regina M. Masters. The book contains 587 pages. Fortunately, it's not very expensive, as you can find it on such websites as Amazon.com for $38.90.

PS: Vacation time is over to an extent, considering the book is almost 600 pages. So, let's start preparing now.:)

:laugh: lmao that sux ***. u actually sound exciting about studying a book with 600 pages but props to u. what happens if u dont do good on that test during orientation??

:laugh: lmao that sux ***. u actually sound exciting about studying a book with 600 pages but props to u. what happens if u dont do good on that test during orientation??

Lol, I am not particularly excited, but as an incoming pharmacy student, I must comply with this requirement. Besides, I may be wrong, but I have the impression medical terminology is pretty easy and shouldn't be so difficult to learn. After all, if they instruct us to buy the book and prepare for the exam come orientation, I figure it's because they know we'll be able to get through 600 pages in a short period of time. If it's something like physiology or organic chemistry, then, that would be another issue, but hopefully, it won't be so bad. I seriously doubt they would expect us to teach ourselves particularly difficult material from an entire book in order to prepare for an exam. Bad or not, we still have to do it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, I am not particularly excited, but as an incoming pharmacy student, I must comply with this requirement. Besides, I may be wrong, but I have the impression medical terminology is pretty easy and shouldn't be so difficult to learn. After all, if they instruct us to buy the book and prepare for the exam come orientation, I figure it's because they know we'll be able to get through 600 pages in a short period of time. If it's something like physiology or organic chemistry, then, that would be another issue, but hopefully, it won't be so bad. I seriously doubt they would expect us to teach ourselves particularly difficult material from an entire book in order to prepare for an exam. Bad or not, we still have to do it. :thumbup:

i don't know bc anyway u put it a 600 page book to learn in 3 months or less does not sound easy at all. It's kind of unfair for them to pull such a thing on those students but hopefully for u it's not too bad. U might have the ability to not take it if you have taken a Medical term. class in college so find out.

just finished my medical terminology class with an A....Glad that i took the class in spring semester...i am ready for the MTE...

just finished my medical terminology class with an A....Glad that i took the class in spring semester...i am ready for the MTE...

Do you think it is doable to learn medical terminology from a 600 page book between now and the start of the semester? I'm just wondering because the test will consist of 150 questions that can be from ANYWHERE in this book.

I went and bought the book yesterday for $54.00 from the nova bookstore. Its a moderately thick book and I was wondering the same thing. But it doesn't seem hard at all. Only thing thats hard is that there is a lot to learn. Its basically just all definitions. About 600 pages worth of definitions. I don't know what to focus on. Apparently its a new test. No one I have spoken to so far who went to nova had to take it. So I guess I am on my own. I am thinking maybe learn a chapter a day? Sound reasonable? They did say we have to successfully complete it. Guess my summer is over.

I went and bought the book yesterday for $54.00 from the nova bookstore. Its a moderately thick book and I was wondering the same thing. But it doesn't seem hard at all. Only thing thats hard is that there is a lot to learn. Its basically just all definitions. About 600 pages worth of definitions. I don't know what to focus on. Apparently its a new test. No one I have spoken to so far who went to nova had to take it. So I guess I am on my own. I am thinking maybe learn a chapter a day? Sound reasonable? They did say we have to successfully complete it. Guess my summer is over.

Hello there. I am going to buy the book from amazon.com for about $38 and some change. I e-mailed Claire Gallican, the director of student services who sent us the orientation letter by e-mail, and asked her about the process of preparing for that test. She replied and told me that I will be surprised that much of it is simply material I have seen in my undergraduate studies. I guess think of anatomy and physiology. Many of the medical terms are derived from there. From my understanding, medical terminology is not that hard to learn anyway because much of it is based on Greek roots, prefixes, and suffixes. Once you know the basic roots, prefixes, etc... the rest is easy probably. For example, if you look at the medical condition, dermatitis, you must recognize two parts to this med term. First, the prefix "Derm" is Greek for skin. "Itis" means inflammation. When you know these two terms and realize their significance, you'll know dermatitis stands for inflammation of the skin. I guess this is more or less what this book will be like.

Do you think it is doable to learn medical terminology from a 600 page book between now and the start of the semester? I'm just wondering because the test will consist of 150 questions that can be from ANYWHERE in this book.

i think you have enough time to prepare for the test...we had a very good textbook for our course... if you get the prefixes,suffixes and word roots then you will be fine..don't try to memorize every single term ...reviewing flashcards also helped me a lot..

Do international pharma.D. program also have the exam?

Do international pharma.D. program also have the exam?

I am not sure of international Pharm.D.'s. If anything, you will probably receive an e-mail notification stating whether or not you must take it.

What happens if you don't pass? Would they kick out out?

I don't know about this particular program, but usually when schools require tests like that (my school required a computer proficiency test), they just make you take an extra class if you don't pass the test. It would be quite harsh to kick someone out after orientation week.

I don't know about this particular program, but usually when schools require tests like that (my school required a computer proficiency test), they just make you take an extra class if you don't pass the test. It would be quite harsh to kick someone out after orientation week.

I agree that it would be harsh to kick someone out after orientation week. At the same time, the academic workload would be even more overwhelming for a student if he or she had to take an extra course all because of failing the test. The extra course would probably be counterproductive and drive a student out. If anything, I believe the school would allow the student a second opportunity to retake the exam.

Hey. I wouldn't worry too much about failing the MTE. I bought the book almost two weeks ago and have been studying from it. Contrary to the perceived difficulty of covering nearly 600 pages on your own, the material in the book is not hard at all. Everything is anatomical and physiological terms, definitions, and other words you have seen when you took AP as an undergrad. It is mostly a workbook that introduces you to the numerous definitions and contains fill in the blank exercises after the introduction of a new term. The fill in the blank exercises reinforce your understanding.

Word roots, prefixes, and suffixes are defined and put together to form medical words. For example, let's assume you have no idea what the term lipocyte means. The book will first teach you what the root word, lipid or lipo mean and what cyte means. You will learn that lipo is "fat" and "cyte" is cell. Once you learn that, you will know a lipocyte is a fat cell or adipocyte.

That should be pretty easy, especially if you learned your AP well. So, don't worry about failing. Besides, I e-mailed [email protected] about the exam and she said we would be prepared for it and will have time to prepare for it anyway. Like I've said here, she also told me initially that much of the material in the book is a review of what I learned or was supposed to learn in undergrad. And it was true. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.