Nova vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taryn0818

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Accepted to both NYU and Nova. Don't know which to choose. If anyone could provide some insight (all aspects considered- lifestyle, academics, prestige/reputation, possibility of specialization) it'd be greatly appreciated! California resident, so OOS for both.

Members don't see this ad.

Nova. Don't be 1/300 faces. It's also cheaper.

Reactions: 3 users
I love New York, but the cost of living in Manhattan is incredibly high. I also wouldn't choose NYU if I possibly wanted to specialize.
Don't know too much about Nova, but I do have an acquaintance there and she seems to be enjoying her dental school experience.
Why would NYU be bad for specializing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk what part of California you are from but NYC can get pretty darn cold during the school year. However, there is nothing like living in the city. It just comes with a very large price tag. Nova is also around 400k if I am not mistaken so it will be expensive regardless, but NYU will definitely be more expensive. It is possible to lower your cost of living in nyc if you are willing to live with other people and cook for yourself etc. NYU has been around a long time and has a great clinical program with the largest patient pool in the country to accommodate the large class. The large class size shouldn't be an issue because the class is broken up into smaller groups for clinics, classes etc. Nova is relatively new and if I recall correctly from my interview, some students mentioned having difficulty with finding patients in order to graduate. However, if you stay on top of things it shouldn't be an issue and you will graduate on time. Specializing will be tough regardless of which school you choose. Choose the school that you got the better vibe from. The school where you think you will be able to fit in and thrive. I definitely got the relaxed feel at Nova and the students and staff were very welcoming. You don't get that relaxed feeling at NYU, but that may because of the location. It is the city that never sleeps for a reason. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh and if it matters, Nova is getting a fresh clinic for next year.

Nova if you want to start a practice one day.

Reactions: 1 user
i have friends at NOVA, and i currently go to NYU. i also interviewed at NOVA when i applied..

that being said, NYU is way better clinically. the patient pool here will give you so much exposure, it's pretty tough to beat. but, the choice is yours as finances are always #1. good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: 1 user