NOVA vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnightin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am lucky enough to be put in this position although it is a difficult one.
I'm look for some feedback between NOVA or NYU.

I realize NYU has potentiallly the best facilities in the country, but the large class size and living costs from being in new york are huge negatives.

On the other hand NOVA is cheaper yet I believe they recommend having a car which is car + insurance + gas + parking adds up as well.
Also Nova is lesser known than NYU obviously but has almost one third of the class size.

I know there's no wrong answer but if anyone has some insight it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not going to go off of cost, go with where you can really see yourself and where you think you'll be happiest and able to succeed.

would you rather be in class all day in the cold city or on the warm beach?

this is not as obvious as you make it seem. The way I perceive it is: If i were to go to a school such as nova, I would not be able to enjoy the amazing weather which would make it even tougher to study. Living in the city, if its cold, then you would be inside anywaz.haha. so it can go either way really.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG I had the exact same problem! NYU vs NOVA!!!! I chose NOVA cos I figured Id rather be in a less stressful enviornment and at the end of the day, dental school is what you make of it. Where did u end up choosing??

I interviewed at both and I think they're pretty equal costwise. I think people don't factor in the instrument costs/fees at nova? I would go off your impression from the interview. I think the two programs had very stark differences and completely different feels. Go with your gut!

Hello everyone,

I realize NYU has potentiallly the best facilities in the country, but the large class size and living costs from being in new york are huge negatives.

On the other hand NOVA is cheaper yet I believe they recommend having a car which is car + insurance + gas + parking adds up as well.
Also Nova is lesser known than NYU obviously but has almost one third of the class size.

I know there's no wrong answer but if anyone has some insight it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
If this was me... I'd pick Nova mostly because of the smaller class size. I think NYU adds like 100 international dentists to ur 2nd year.... You'll start off with 230 students, but you'll end with close to 350

I don't really have anything against NYU (aside from the mammoth size class), as matter of fact, they have a reputation of having a very strong clinical training.

Even tho you'll have to have a car in Nova, I still think it will be cheaper because NY living cost is HUGE (even without a car)....

NYU clinics are best in the country in my opinion + you will be in the big apple 4 years of your life at least which can be an awsome experience+ NYU has much more resources for life long learners + many more to find out compare to NOVA. I actually went to both of them. And, without any thinking I would pick NYU. Sorry, I have not heard any good about NOVA recently especially after my visit.
UOP class of 2015

Thank you all for responding.
As of 2 days ago i was 99% nova.

for 30 hours now i've been really thinking it through and I have switched gears and I am taking NYU.

It seems for those worried about class size, although the number is enormous it doesnt play such a factor in terms of lectures which are all video and audio recorded as well as transcribed.

I spoke to a 2nd year student who said out of the 300+ people only 25-30 of them go to class becasue the lectures are available for you to view on your own time.

That being said at the end of the day, something in my stomach was not entirely set on nova and thats what i couldnt get over.

Nothing negative towards nova (other than the rumors of their clinical issues) but once again thank you all again

- mnightin

Thank you all for responding.
As of 2 days ago i was 99% nova.

for 30 hours now i've been really thinking it through and I have switched gears and I am taking NYU.

It seems for those worried about class size, although the number is enormous it doesnt play such a factor in terms of lectures which are all video and audio recorded as well as transcribed.

I spoke to a 2nd year student who said out of the 300+ people only 25-30 of them go to class becasue the lectures are available for you to view on your own time.

That being said at the end of the day, something in my stomach was not entirely set on nova and thats what i couldnt get over.

Nothing negative towards nova (other than the rumors of their clinical issues) but once again thank you all again

- mnightin

great call. the only knock on nova is that during your clinical years there are limited number of seats, i do not know if NYU has the same issue. My cousin goes to nova and he is in his fourth year and i got the info from him. It is still a great school in a great location, so you really cannot go wrong. best of luck to you

Hello everyone,

Thanks

I would go the cheaper route.