NOVA vs UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mana19

Reaction score
Hi! I was fortunate enough to get accepted to both Nova and UF. Both programs have their pros and cons, and I was wondering if current students at either schools would be able to talk more about the program, and why they prefer the school they're at... I'm in-state so I know tuition is considerably higher for Nova, however if you were to exclude tuition, what school would you choose if you had the option to go back and choose between the two schools, and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was fortunate enough to get accepted to both Nova and UF. Both programs have their pros and cons, and I was hoping people would help with any additional considerations... I'm in-state so I know tuition is considerably higher for Nova, however if you were to exclude tuition, what school would you choose and why?
I would stop there and just go with UF. Any money you save can be reinvested in yourself with CE credits to make up for anything you didn't learn at Nova. UF also probably has a more notable name compared to Nova, not that it matters as much but it does say something. I would go with UF if you can, the amount of money you'll save in the end will make up for any experience you missed at Nova. I know that's probably not something you wanted to hear, but after seeing how many students and dentists on this forum keep hammering down the cost of tuition, I think we should try to listen and just go with the cheapest option. I think also UF has a lot more research opportunities with it being a public institution so if that's something you're interested in then definitely consider that option as well, Nova will have some research but not as much compared to UF.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was fortunate enough to get accepted to both Nova and UF. Both programs have their pros and cons, and I was hoping people would help with any additional considerations... I'm in-state so I know tuition is considerably higher for Nova, however if you were to exclude tuition, what school would you choose and why?
do not pass go
UF all the way...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have visited both schools, been waitlisted at both between my two applications, and I also work for a corporate dental office in FL that hires many dentists from the 3 FL dental schools schools fresh after graduation... the short version is that UF is a clinically superior school where you will treat a higher number of patients during your 3rd and 4th year than if you went to nova (uf wins for this alone in my book).
A dentist I work with who went to nova told me that she and her friends literally had to strategically share patients so that everyone got their minimum treatments for graduation, which is a a red flag.

Also, money. A repeating theme I have heard from the doctors and dentists I have spoken with is that they wish they had just picked the cheapest school. Study hard. Once you pass your exams and graduate, patients don't care where you went to school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users