Nova vs. UPenn vs. UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaryL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been extremely fortunate to be accepted to these 3 schools, still in shock :') However now I'm completely torn.. each school has so many attractive qualities and I've probably changed my mind about 10 times since I got the calls yesterday
Here are a few of my impressions of the schools, but if you guys have any input that would be greatly appreciated!

Nova:
- the weather is gorgeous (I'm from Canada so this is a huge plus) and I love the beach
- the campus is beautiful, I really liked the clinics and everything
- my dentist highly recommends this school
- I got an amazing vibe from the students and faculty and really feel like I will fit in well
- only downfall right now is that it's far

UDM:
- Great clinical program
- super close to home (only about 4 hours), I could probably still live in Canada (on the Windsor side)
- very very Canadian student friendly
- Downside is I'm not too sure how I feel about being in Detroit..
- Because the interview was on a Saturday I wasn't really able to gauge the student vibe.

UPenn:
- The best interview experience, they made me feel so comfortable and were so nice.
- Philly is a great city and not too far from home (8-9 hour drive)
- Overall great program with lots of honours and research opportunities
- Opens lots of doors for specializing (not sure if I want to or not)
- Downside is definitely cost, which would be a lot more than the other two
- The students seem more competitive with each other than other two (just my impression)

Members don't see this ad.

No scholarship at Upenn? Since you are canadian all 3 schools are going to cost a fortune.

I do know UDM has a great canadian student pool, maybe thats where you would feel most at home.

Congratulations on your acceptances! I also got a really friendly vibe from all of the faculty and students at Nova. If you end up going to Nova, I look forward to being classmates!

It sounds like being close to home is a pretty big concern for you. I think that any of those schools will train you to become a great dentist so I would choose the school that you would feel the most "at home" with because you're going to be there for at least another 4 years!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptances! I also got a really friendly vibe from all of the faculty and students at Nova. If you end up going to Nova, I look forward to being classmates!

It sounds like being close to home is a pretty big concern for you. I think that any of those schools will train you to become a great dentist so I would choose the school that you would feel the most "at home" with because you're going to be there for at least another 4 years!

In the grand scheme of things being close to home isn't as important to me as enjoying the location I'm in, it's just one of the pros/cons of the school. Right now I'm actually really having a hard time deciding between Penn and Nova!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I've been extremely fortunate to be accepted to these 3 schools, still in shock :') However now I'm completely torn.. each school has so many attractive qualities and I've probably changed my mind about 10 times since I got the calls yesterday
Here are a few of my impressions of the schools, but if you guys have any input that would be greatly appreciated!

Nova:
- the weather is gorgeous (I'm from Canada so this is a huge plus) and I love the beach
- I got an amazing vibe from the students and faculty and really feel like I will fit in well

UDM:
- Great clinical program
- super close to home (only about 4 hours), I could probably still live in Canada (on the Windsor side)
- Because the interview was on a Saturday I wasn't really able to gauge the student vibe.

UPenn:
- The best interview experience, they made me feel so comfortable and were so nice.
- The students seem more competitive with each other than other two (just my impression)
Girl .. I wish I got into UPenn. lol UPenn was my number one choice and second was UDM luckily, I have friends at both of these schools and I can guarantee you my friend at Penn is extremely satisfied with the location, curriculum, faculty student environment and overall quality of the program. It's also Ivy League so if you're looking into specializing the rate for specialization is high at Ivy. Penn is renowned for its program. I can only speak about these two. I don't know anyone at nova or anyone who's familiar with the program.
UDM is my number one choice only bc my significant other is going to be in Michigan for med school. Other than that you are right Florida and Pennsylvania are much better than Detroit in terms of city. I liked the homely vibe at UDM but I've heard nova is great in that aspect too. If I had to be totally unbiased and had no personal ties to UDM and the area I would pick penn.

Last edited:
Girl .. I wish I got into UPenn. lol UPenn was my number one choice and second was UDM luckily, I have friends at both of these schools and I can guarantee you my friend at Penn is extremely satisfied with the location, curriculum, faculty student environment and overall quality of the program. It's also Ivy League so if you're looking into specializing the rate for specialization is high at Ivy. Penn is renowned for its program. I can only speak about these two. I don't know anyone at nova or anyone who's familiar with the program.
UDM is my number one choice only bc my significant other is going to be in Michigan for med school. Other than that you are right Florida and Pennsylvania are much better than Detroit in terms of city. I liked the homely vibe at UDM but I've heard nova is great in that aspect too. If I had to be totally unbiased and had no personal ties to UDM and the area I would pick penn.
Thanks for your input!! I'm totally rooting for you!! I will probably end up turning down UDM because I'm more leaning towards penn and nova, I wish I could give you my spot :) hopefully with the spots opening up you'll get in!

PM me with any questions you may have about Penn.

Thanks for your input!! I'm totally rooting for you!! I will probably end up turning down UDM because I'm more leaning towards penn and nova, I wish I could give you my spot :) hopefully with the spots opening up you'll get in!
Thanks Mary you're amazing. I definitely know you're gonna do great wherever you end up. You are super smart and an even better person :) I know Penn is impeccable. My friend and many students and alumnis have said that. But, you are right.. Florida weather and laid back lifestyle is definitely hard to leave haha. Best of luck to you and I know you'll do amazing. xo

Anyone have an up to date opinion on the clinical experience at Nova?

How is the patient flow?

Are you finding it hard to complete requirements on time? Finding the right patients.

Experience level for each procedure? Basically are students graduating with the minimum exposure required.

Are a lot of the procedure pushed to the specialties? Are you still getting exposure to complex procedures (According to skill level)

The only threads I can find are from 2007-2009 and I want to know if it has improved since.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I know Canada is more north than Philly, but it's still cold here November-March and I am not a fan of it myself. Just saying, don't know if you'd feel a huge difference from Canada here, but I've also never lived in Canada either haha.

Nova:

UDM:
- Great clinical program

UPenn:

I'm a D1 and can definitely say my classmates and I aren't super competitive with each other! As you know, we're not ranked (except top 10 out of a class of 120) and we have really high specialization rates, so everyone can succeed together - it's not you vs your friend sitting next to you. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you have about Penn!