Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to share some insight on my NOVA interview that I had yesterday. I came to NOVA with an open mind since not many people know much about this new "resort" school. The reason I mention resort is because of the awesome scenery and atmosphere here. It is just unbelievable how much fun the dental students seem to be having. My other interviews current students always had something negative to say, but here everyone was positive and excited about this school. NOVA is definately getting high up there, and I believe this years class (YAH-Es class) will definately spruce them board scores up. The facilities are awesome and jaw dropping. The students are more friendlier than ever. Everyone seems to be having a ball.

Anyways, regarding the interview. The interview consists of Lunch or breakfast depending on the interview time. After lunch with students/dean/faculty etc the group (usually 5-6 people) are taken for a tour and then brought back for a financial aid meeting. Then the interviews happen.

I had three interviewers including: Ms. Su-Ann Zarrett (one of the nicest and sincere admission directors out there), Dr. Lippman (the dean of admissions), and Dr. Nichols. The only negative thing about the interview experience was that as one person interviews the rest waits until that one person is interviewed and then the next person is taken to the room. This meant a 2.5 hours wait for me since, again. like at UPENN I was last. However, the interview is very laid back. Dr. Lippman definately lets the people feel welcome so does Fern Valen, a very energetic woman who will definately try to make you feel welcome. My interview lasted about 25 minutes, as did other peoples except one person who was in and out in 10 minutes. But general questions from my applicaiton was presented, also the main question: Why dentistry.

The one thing I noticed was that unlike schools I have toured/visited the school sells itself. No one is hounding you how great the facilities are and how great the clinics are...you just see it. It is a breath of fresh air, indeed. Other schools interviews just consist of selling their school, but NOVA just sells itself.

The one main concern of mine was: Patients. I've been told on SDN that NOVA doesn't have patients and they have to hunt patients down, however...that is not true. I spent almost 6-8 hours in clinics here yesterday and today and i can tell you that NOVA has the same if not more patients than Temple. I'm not making this up. There is a 4,000 patient waiting list. If you wanted to see a student doctor you would have to wait until Feb or March of next year to get you chance!

The faculty is very nice. They are very concerned with their students and treat them like colleagues. It seems like a new culture in the dental profession. Please feel free to PM or post if you have more questions.

I will attach photos of NOVA soon as i get back to Seattle.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention. The dean of admissions: Dr. Lippman told our group that if you had made it to the interview then "you've made the cut." The interview is there just to see your personality, etc.

also, unlike previous years NOVA is going to be interviewing only 300-350 applicants. Su-Ann said that the school has already received 2,000 apps. Last Year NOVA had very high numbers: 3.4 18+ DAT which is higher than many east coast schools. From my talks it seems like they are striving for a 3.5+ ave gpa for the class of 2003.

I met many students who only had applied to NOVA since they loved it so much, one student with a 28 DAT is going to NOVA. Also, many students from Ivy League backgrounds are choosing NOVA I spoke to two people who went to UPENN for undergrad and chose NOVA that really told me a lot.

DesiDentist

Listen to DA man! I am very glad to hear and actual see the fun that DesiDent is having here at my school. It was a true pleasure to meet him finally. Everything he said here I believe and holds true. We, D1s, at Nova do balance well between studying and "extra-curricular" activities when the course load permits.

:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything DesiDentist said. I wasn't too sure about Nova when I applied, but after seeing the school and the students, Nova has reached the top of my list. I've been to 4 interviews so far and I've been the most impressed with Nova.

I have to admit though, the interview was not as laid back as everyone says. All the students told me before the interview that it was really casual. Not the case when I got in to that interview chair. In my freshman year my grades were not the best. It kept coming up repeatedly. I explained it pretty well and brought up the fact that in my senior I took 26 credits of upper level science couses and had ~3.7 GPA. But, it still kept coming up. One of the interviewers even stuck up for me and brought up the fact that I did very well on the DAT. Still, the issue didn't die.

I hope what Desi said is true and that interviewing truly means we have made the cut. I loved Nova! I hope I get accepted. At the end of the interview they told the four of us that were interviewing that day that we would have letters on December 1. I hope it is an acceptance letter! If it is, look out Florida, here I come!

SEriously, i agree with all the above posts

i had a tough time choosing b/w nyu and nova....i put a deposit down w/ both schools. it really came down to name and reputation for me, but i think both schools are outstanding. u can't lose with either. bottom line is this: at nova, you're studying in a stress free environment. i'm glad i chose nyu tho....it's a non-competitive environment and it's nyc!!!

but i can't help but think 'what if' w/ nova!!! su ann is awesome...the whole admission staff there is incredibly nice. nova is definitely on the rise.

yah-e....a big group of us here at nyu are goin on a cruise for spring break....we're gonna send out an email to our whole class....u should try to make it out w/ us! our break is around march 8th.....we're thinkin' about a 3-4 day cruise in the bahamas or somwhere down there......

Pi_Guy:

Great to hear from you. Your spring break sounds like fun, unfortunately in early March, we'll still be in school. Our spring break is not until mid-April. If you guys deport in Miami, my colleagues will be more than glad to meet you guys somewhere prior to your departure. Hope things are going well at NYU, keep me updated on your spring break plans.

Nova is definately sounding better to me every day. I'm just curious about how strict they are with their interview dates. I am scheduled for Friday, November 22. Can I reschedule to like a Monday? Anyone know? Thanks!

Arby

Arby
I think NOVA only interviews on Tuesdays, Thurs, and Fridays.
You can call to see if you can reschedule. My appt. is on Nov 12th, but then I changed it and I was offered dates in October!

Interesting post, Desi. After hearing this, I'm more keen on NOVA. I want to apply to more Southern schools, but unfortunately most don't really accept out of staters. It sounds like a great blend of atmospheres. I was in Ft. Lauderdale last year during Christmas/ New Year's. It's pretty far from Miami, like 30 miles.

By the way, how are the girls there? I have to admit that it may be a prime reason over Temple, Tufts and NYU.

And Yah-E, so you will not be on break in March. But you're in Ft. Lauderdale, spring break comes to you!

Hey thanks for your help Beagle! I will look for a better date and then call them on Monday to reschedule.

I interviewed at Nova on Oct.15 and like Desi said the place was amazing. Your mouth will drop when you see the facilities. I think they compare with Case Western except for the dental sim lab. I can vouch that all the students had a smile on there face and was totally positive about the school. They said they never had to wait for a chair and the patient pool was plenty. The faculty was also super nice. I thought it was great that they take everyone being interviewed to meet with the dean. He will really get you pumped about the school. I thought the actual interview was very laid back. I have taken the DAT several times and Dr. Lippman said," no big deal i'm not good at those standardized tests either". He was impressed i brought my scores to a more respectable score. Nothing was mentioned about my grades and i'm no 3.5 student. There was only one other person being interviewed with me. They asked her why dentistry? She said,
"I orginally wanted to go into medicine etc." She said they gave her a very dirty look. Don't anyone else make the same mistake. I would really love to be apart of the school and hope an acceptance is coming in 7 weeks or so. By the way if you go there for an interview, stay at the Best Western Rolling Hills. Very nice hotel,amazing pool, close to school, free shuttle to airport and school and only $60.