You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
novel or funny money saving tips
Started by Oh_Gee
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
eat out of the dumpster behind restaurants after closing time
it truly pained me knowing my school's dining halls throw out uneaten food. i understand the reasoning behind not donating it to the homeless, but still...eat out of the dumpster behind restaurants after closing time
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it truly pained me knowing my school's dining halls throw out uneaten food. i understand the reasoning behind not donating it to the homeless, but still...
I don't understand the reasoning. Please enlighten me. I can't come up with anything except legal BS.
I don't understand the reasoning. Please enlighten me. I can't come up with anything except legal BS.
you give away food for free
feel good about yourself
next day, someone claims food poisoning from the free food you gave them that you could have thrown out
now you're sued
you didn't get paid for the service but legally responsible? thanks but no thanks
it's the same rationale for not providing free service to people
you operate on someone for free, they can come back at you with a frivolous lawsuit. why take the risk when you don't have to and you make a net negative anyway?
you give away food for free
feel good about yourself
next day, someone claims food poisoning from the free food you gave them that you could have thrown out
now you're sued
you didn't get paid for the service but legally responsible? thanks but no thanks
it's the same rationale for not providing free service to people
you operate on someone for free, they can come back at you with a frivolous lawsuit. why take the risk when you don't have to and you make a net negative anyway?
Aren't there protections against that kind of stuff? It seems sh*tty that someone getting a free good/service would sue the person giving to them even if it turns out bad. Isn't that a risk you take by getting free stuff?
As someone who worked a year in the dining halls and volunteered extensively in a food pantry this is what I understand (n=1). Dining halls often leave the food out on the line to the point where it is close to bad (there is some legalese with how long food can sit out and be re-served). They also will reuse food quite a bit (today's fried chicken is tomorrow's BBQ chicken). The rest of the stuff in storage/freezers/coolers sits there until it is bad or used (generally the same case with restaurants).I don't understand the reasoning. Please enlighten me. I can't come up with anything except legal BS.
At the food pantry we can legally not serve/give away bad or super expired stuff. By the time they are willing to give it up, its usually too bad for us to give to people. Restaurants will donate a bit more (especially after menu changes), but they get tax incentives to do so as well
Aren't there protections against that kind of stuff? It seems sh*tty that someone getting a free good/service would sue the person giving to them even if it turns out bad. Isn't that a risk you take by getting free stuff?
yeah well that's america for you
poor people are among the most entitled i've ever seen
Wow. That's a sweeping generalization that shows a lot of compassion! Besides, I have personally known plenty of "poor people" who are too proud to ask for or accept help when they desperately need it.yeah well that's america for you
poor people are among the most entitled i've ever seen
I hope you have more respect for your patients than this!
I hope you have more respect for your patients than this!
What's that fundamental law of SDN physics that says that as the number of posts in a thread approaches infinity, the probability of someone equating something to being a bad doctor approaches one?
I didn't comment on that person's capabilities, or say s/he would be a bad doctor. I merely pointed out what seems to be rather obvious contempt for a large (and growing) segment of the population.What's that fundamental law of SDN physics that says that as the number of posts in a thread approaches infinity, the probability of someone equating something to being a bad doctor approaches one?
I didn't comment on that person's capabilities, or say s/he would be a bad doctor. I merely pointed out what seems to be rather obvious contempt for a large (and growing) segment of the population.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to comment on your post, I was just making a joke.
@efle
Reported.Sorry, I wasn't trying to comment on your post, I was just making a joke.
@efle
Am I missing something?Reported.
Only a sense of humorAm I missing something?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"I was making a joke @efle" Lmao
i think he was being sarcasticWow. That's a sweeping generalization that shows a lot of compassion! Besides, I have personally known plenty of "poor people" who are too proud to ask for or accept help when they desperately need it.
I hope you have more respect for your patients than this!
Back on topic - all of my bras are falling apart, but I'm not replacing them until I've paid for all my secondaries. Grocery Outlet has been a godsend. And the hospital where I volunteer gives you a meal card at the dining hall, but the food is shockingly unhealthy (and not so shockingly bland).
Frozen veggies and pasta go a long way!Back on topic - all of my bras are falling apart, but I'm not replacing them until I've paid for all my secondaries. Grocery Outlet has been a godsend. And the hospital where I volunteer gives you a meal card at the dining hall, but the food is shockingly unhealthy (and not so shockingly bland).
i'm a guy. when i asked one of my female friends how much bras were, i was shocked. i feel for you, bud. the most expensive guy thing i have to buy is a suit, but that'll likely last yearsBack on topic - all of my bras are falling apart, but I'm not replacing them until I've paid for all my secondaries. Grocery Outlet has been a godsend. And the hospital where I volunteer gives you a meal card at the dining hall, but the food is shockingly unhealthy (and not so shockingly bland).
check your privilege
what does this even mean lmao
does this look like tumblr to you
mixtapes are usually free though... unless you hope it lands you a record deal?Not really one for saving money. But I'm dropping my mixtape soon. That should probably cover tuition.
lol are you the rapper who recorded his mixtape entirely at an apple store?
D
deleted393595
In the midst of the app cycle, share your stories of how you are saving money for app fees.
Mine is just eating ramen for lunch so far. Grad student who left my lab left me a box of his cup o noodles
I separate apart my toilet paper into two to save $$$ (hopefully someone here gets the reference)
What about it is confusing to you? It means you're a douchebag. Way to generalize all poor people with your ignorant and shameful views. I've grown up dirt poor my entire life and have never felt "entitled" to ****. You are classless.
lmao get over yourself
being poor isn't some badge of courage
As someone who worked a year in the dining halls and volunteered extensively in a food pantry this is what I understand (n=1). Dining halls often leave the food out on the line to the point where it is close to bad (there is some legalese with how long food can sit out and be re-served). They also will reuse food quite a bit (today's fried chicken is tomorrow's BBQ chicken). The rest of the stuff in storage/freezers/coolers sits there until it is bad or used (generally the same case with restaurants).
At the food pantry we can legally not serve/give away bad or super expired stuff. By the time they are willing to give it up, its usually too bad for us to give to people. Restaurants will donate a bit more (especially after menu changes), but they get tax incentives to do so as well
It's not legalese -- It's science and food safety. Foods that have been held too long in a temperature "danger zone" are simply no longer safe for human consumption, so those "food poisoning" claims don't actually belong in air quotes at all. The risk is real, and it's not inconsequential.
won't you just use 2x the Paper thenI separate apart my toilet paper into two to save $$$ (hopefully someone here gets the reference)
i don't get the reference. is it past my time
i was born in 1992
The Office?I separate apart my toilet paper into two to save $$$ (hopefully someone here gets the reference)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I absorbed the other fetus. Do I regret this? No. I believe his tissue has made me stronger. I now have the strength of a grown man and a little babyOh how the turntables have....
Honestly, if you are fortunate enough to live in one of the 39-ish states to have an Aldi, shop there. At times, their prices are better than Walmart and their off-brands taste exactly the same. It is owned by the same family who owns Trader Joes. I often buy meat and packaged items from there. Also, Sprouts is a good store for fresh veggies and fruit (everything else is super expensive). Usually, I spend about 60 dollars on groceries every two weeks. It is of note that I also eat out a lot so stopping that is a good way to save money, so I hear.
Also, in Birmingham, AL there is a man willing to pay $10k for a girlfriend. You have to refer a friend and they have to last with him for at least 6 months. Depending on your ethical issues, you may be able to sell out a friend or 5 for some nice money that should cover secondaries quite nicely.
To contribute something productive....
1. Don't go out to eat often, pack your own lunch
2. Don't pay for cable - everything is on the internet
3. When you go out to bars, pay attention to specials/prices. That pitcher of generic domestic beer X could be half price at the place next door.
4. Buy in bulk.
5. Figure out how necessary your books are. I've wasted a lot on a few.
6. Look at specials on everything. The movie theatre near my campus has $5 movies on Tuesday. Why pay $10 to go on Wednesday?
7. Ask for student discounts. Works out pretty decently.
1. Don't go out to eat often, pack your own lunch
2. Don't pay for cable - everything is on the internet
3. When you go out to bars, pay attention to specials/prices. That pitcher of generic domestic beer X could be half price at the place next door.
4. Buy in bulk.
5. Figure out how necessary your books are. I've wasted a lot on a few.
6. Look at specials on everything. The movie theatre near my campus has $5 movies on Tuesday. Why pay $10 to go on Wednesday?
7. Ask for student discounts. Works out pretty decently.
Last edited:
But my girlfriend would be so disappointed...she really enjoys our date nightsI also eat out a lot so stopping that is a good way to save money
Back on topic - all of my bras are falling apart, but I'm not replacing them until I've paid for all my secondaries.
UUMMMMMM. That's gotta be the best one i've heard on SDN.
But my girlfriend would be so disappointed...she really enjoys our date nights
Are you in Birmingham?
UUMMMMMM. That's gotta be the best one i've heard on SDN.
Thanks
Thanks#freethenipple
disconcerting that you have only 1 to free. Any interest in NAC reconstruction?
Haha are you familiar with the hashtag? Hilarious new development: http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-...ng-n/065b6c51-d799-4927-8dd5-7921ede0d8bd.htmdisconcerting that you have only 1 to free. Any interest in NAC reconstruction?
What? I'm in St L but I feel like I'm missing somethingAre you in Birmingham?
Ohhh I went and read the posts above. Ha! We've been dating 5 years, she's worth at least $14,000
I second the never buying cable thing. There's nothing good on television and if there is (Game of Thrones, Sherlock, South Park) the Internet is always there for you.
Cable is expensive too, people pay a lot of money for basically just sports nowadays.
Cable is expensive too, people pay a lot of money for basically just sports nowadays.
Haha are you familiar with the hashtag? Hilarious new development: http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-...ng-n/065b6c51-d799-4927-8dd5-7921ede0d8bd.htm
am i the only one that thinks this is a weird thing to get all riled up about
Thank you, yes, on my personal list of things that are wrong with this world, this issue is quite low.am i the only one that thinks this is a weird thing to get all riled up about
EDIT: To be fair, the issue is one of many in the whole gender equality movement, and lines are blurred when transgender men want to post shirtless photos on social media. So I'm in favor of the hashtag, but you won't see me spending a lot of energy on it.
Last edited:
omg you guys get food tickets?! and yea there's a lot of junk food surprisingly; loads of fried mainly.Back on topic - all of my bras are falling apart, but I'm not replacing them until I've paid for all my secondaries. Grocery Outlet has been a godsend. And the hospital where I volunteer gives you a meal card at the dining hall, but the food is shockingly unhealthy (and not so shockingly bland).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol i read about thatAlso, in Birmingham, AL there is a man willing to pay $10k for a girlfriend. You have to refer a friend and they have to last with him for at least 6 months. Depending on your ethical issues, you may be able to sell out a friend or 5 for some nice money that should cover secondaries quite nicely.
I second making all your meals. Eating out is a huge expense. I prep all my food anyways for bodybuilding, but brown rice with some chicken and veggies is dirt cheap and better for you than whatever crap you would be eating anyway.
also, www.seekingarrangement.com is a good way to make money
also, www.seekingarrangement.com is a good way to make money
I know its kinda off-topic, but in regards to the food waste thing, there are actually things that can be done:
http://www.theguardian.com/business...market-food-waste-reaches-european-parliament
To stay on-topic, bring instant coffee from home, and just use the hot water at the coffee shops on campus!
http://www.theguardian.com/business...market-food-waste-reaches-european-parliament
To stay on-topic, bring instant coffee from home, and just use the hot water at the coffee shops on campus!
i work with a ministry that collects donated food (about to expire) from supermarkets. it's fine for us to distribute those to people in need as long as the packages are sealed and it visible isn't spoiled. however, i think cooked food from restaurants might be a little unsafe to give awayI know its kinda off-topic, but in regards to the food waste thing, there are actually things that can be done:
http://www.theguardian.com/business...market-food-waste-reaches-european-parliament
To stay on-topic, bring instant coffee from home, and just use the hot water at the coffee shops on campus!
I coleased my apartment for a month and stayed in a 24/7 campus library. Saved a cool $500
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 917