novel or funny money saving tips

Started by Oh_Gee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Before Interview Invites come in:
1. Make mileage accounts for your local airports top 3 airlines
2. When booking flights, the pristine time is ~47 days before take off. This is not always doable but just don't book too early or the week of. Check prices on Monday, Tuesdays, and Sundays. The best deals for flights are generally offered on Tuesdays.
3. Find a credit card that'll give extra points for flights
--I recommend the chase sapphire preferred card, great rewards system, and you get ~$500 in points if you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months (easily doable if you get it for booking flights/buying interview material this fall).
4. Getting 1 decently priced, quality suit is better than getting a 3 for 1 deal at Jos A Bank/men's warehouse (they're of lower quality and only offer those deals because they're originally overpriced).
5. Go to a local mom n pop tailor shop rather than one at a dept store. Most of the time it'll be way cheaper but of comparable quality and generally faster. Also being friendly and polite with them means they probably won't charge as much when you come back 3 months later 5 lbs fatter and need a very minor alteration.

Whenever:
6. Use Uber or share shuttles in/out of airports. Be that cool guy that emails other applicants to see if anyone wants to save money by sharing rides. If you're in NYC, just use the metro.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you work OP? If so, then my cousin taught me to stick your money in envelopes and label them accordingly on what allowance you're given. It doesn't have to be a physical envelope, but it does help if you do it physically so you don't overspend if it's just in a bank account.

For example, each week I put $75 in an envelope labelled "food," I put $20 in for gas, and the rest I put in savings. I wasn't allowed to spend any of the extra money until the end of the month and I could buy whatever I wanted (it was usually workout supplements or clothes.)
 
Do you work OP? If so, then my cousin taught me to stick your money in envelopes and label them accordingly on what allowance you're given. It doesn't have to be a physical envelope, but it does help if you do it physically so you don't overspend if it's just in a bank account.

For example, each week I put $75 in an envelope labelled "food," I put $20 in for gas, and the rest I put in savings. I wasn't allowed to spend any of the extra money until the end of the month and I could buy whatever I wanted (it was usually workout supplements or clothes.)

$20 of gas in a month... wow, that's pretty sweet. Is your gas subsidized?
 
Since you do have to spend a lot, might as well get paid for it. Get an airmiles credit card, which could get you a free plane ticket come interview season. Just don't be an idiot about it--ie don't carry a balance!
 
cheeeeell. sometimes you have to laugh at yourself a bit. I misread. das all.
Okay, thanks for clarifying. I was just unsure because sometimes people get really upset at other users over simple misunderstandings, and I wanted to be sure that my intent was not misunderstood.
 
Okay, thanks for clarifying. I was just unsure because sometimes people get really upset at other users over simple misunderstandings, and I wanted to be sure that my intent was not misunderstood.

Sorry... I just had to laugh at this. Don't worry about how other people take your comments/opinions. Be yourself!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad