Novice questions regarding MD/PhD

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do you apply to the medical school, the graduate school, or both? If so, is there some uniform application system like AMCAS?
2. Do you take the GRE, the MCAT, or both?
3. Are all of the programs 7 years in length? Is the PhD in medicine or do you choose a discipline that interests you?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do you apply to the medical school, the graduate school, or both? If so, is there some uniform application system like AMCAS?
3. Are all of the programs 7 years in length? Is the PhD in medicine or do you choose a discipline that interests you?

I found this on the AAMC website, it looks like it has tons of information that can help you when I was reading about the MD-PhD program.

https://www.aamc.org/students/research/mdphd/

1) You apply through AMCAS .
2) Definitely take the MCAT and each program has their own requirements on whether or not you need to take the GRE.
3) No it depends on how long it takes you to get your PhD, which requires a research project to pan out.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a physician scientist forum that has lots of threads and useful stickies on applying to MD/PhD programs and going through medical school as an MD/PhD: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32

1) You apply to MD/PhD programs through AMCAS for the most part. There are a few school that accept people during the second year of medical school but this is much less common.
2) You take the MCAT. Check with each program to find out if you need to take the GRE, I did not, but I applied 9 years ago at this point so I don't know if that has changed.
3) Many schools restrict the topic of your phd to biomedical sciences - things like genetics, immunology, biochemistry. Other schools let you get a PhD in anything. Some schools have special programs in things like epidemiology in addition to the normal biomedical sciences. National average for length is 7.9 years at this point. My school will no longer allow people to finish in 7 years.

You get a lot of latitude in deciding what to do research on.

And I could be wrong about this, but do MD/PhD students have to pay for med school? Cause I know most PhD programs are not only free but you also get a healthy living stipend, so maybe its the same for MD/PhD programs.

So, here's my experience applying and being in an MD/PhD program:
1) All the programs to which I applied used AMCAS. However, there is an additional section and essays for MD/PhD applicants.
2) All programs require the MCAT, and some PhD programs will require GRE scores.
3) Very few people finish in 7 years unless PhD programs count medical school classes towards their graduate coursework.
4) Most programs are fully-funded. MSTPs have government funding. Other programs are funded by the school or by private institutions.
Feel free to send me a PM if you want to talk more :)

You get a lot of latitude in deciding what to do research on.

And I could be wrong about this, but do MD/PhD students have to pay for med school? Cause I know most PhD programs are not only free but you also get a healthy living stipend, so maybe its the same for MD/PhD programs.

Many are free, but it depends on if they are federally funded I believe.

Many are free, but it depends on if they are federally funded I believe.

The MSTP programs have to pay for medical school tuition and offer a stipend during those years. There is also a tier of programs that are working towards getting MSTP funding (an NIH grant that provides a small amount of money and a lot of prestige) and have the same policies as the MSTP programs. One thing to look out for with non-MSTP programs is to make sure that you do not have to pay back medical school tuition if you do not finish the program. Some non-MSTP programs will make you do this.

Thanks for the help everyone. One more question:

If you get into just an MD program but decide you want to do a PhD too is it possible to start part way into your MD program?

Depends on your school. Might depend on your classmates. Some schools always take one or more students from the MD class into the MD/PhD program. Other schools will do it if someone drops out of their MD/PhD class. Other schools will only do it under special circumstances. Some schools will never do it. Some schools will allow you to take 4 years off and apply to graduate school on your own but not provide any support.