Now or Next Year?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franfranny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I used to be a pre-dental student, but I discovered pharmacy during the summer and realized that pharmacy really resonates with me more than dentistry did. I still have to take the PCAT, but I have most of my prerequisites already completed since most overlap with dental school prerequisites. I am just unsure if I should wait to apply for the next cycle or go ahead and apply for this cycle.

The main reason that I would wait until next cycle is that I do not have any pharmacy-related extracurriculars, but is that a significant factor? Also, I fear that if I apply for this cycle I would be too late and have to compete with other applicants who do have pharmacy experience and all of their courses completed.
The other reason is that I would have to scrounge for Letters of Recommendation. The only science professors that I can think of writing letters for me are the professors that wrote me letters for when I was in the process of applying to dental school during early summer, and I feel like it would look bad if I turned around and asked them to write me new letters for a different field :oops:

What are your opinions on what I should do? Should I take my time and apply for the 2018 cycle, or do you think I have a chance to go ahead and apply for this cycle? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I used to be a pre-dental student, but I discovered pharmacy during the summer and realized that pharmacy really resonates with me more than dentistry did. I still have to take the PCAT, but I have most of my prerequisites already completed since most overlap with dental school prerequisites. I am just unsure if I should wait to apply for the next cycle or go ahead and apply for this cycle.

The main reason that I would wait until next cycle is that I do not have any pharmacy-related extracurriculars, but is that a significant factor? Also, I fear that if I apply for this cycle I would be too late and have to compete with other applicants who do have pharmacy experience and all of their courses completed.
The other reason is that I would have to scrounge for Letters of Recommendation. The only science professors that I can think of writing letters for me are the professors that wrote me letters for when I was in the process of applying to dental school during early summer, and I feel like it would look bad if I turned around and asked them to write me new letters for a different field :oops:

What are your opinions on what I should do? Should I take my time and apply for the 2018 cycle, or do you think I have a chance to go ahead and apply for this cycle? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

When would your PCAT date be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools have November or December deadlines. Taking the PCAT in January will make you a "late" applicant for January at the very least.

So I would be considered late even if I submit my application in late November and denote that my PCAT will be in January? Thank you for answering all my questions so far btw

So I would be considered late even if I submit my application in late November and denote that my PCAT will be in January? Thank you for answering all my questions so far btw

Private message me, but yes because your application is basically incomplete without the PCAT.