Now what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrGucciGal

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just looked at my PMR elective evaluation from an away rotation that I did in July. The evaluator (my attending) gave half of the ratings in satisfactory pass and half in high pass but at the end of the evaluation when it asks for final grade she gave me "satisfactory pass". I was expecting to get honors or at least high pass considering that PMR is what I am applying to this year and I verbalized to her that this is what I want to do and asked her for a LOR. Now I am worried that this "satisfactory pass" will be looked down upon when PD's look at it in my dean's letter. What was she thinking??? The comments on the evaluation were very good but now I am worried about what she will write in the LOR. Should I be freaking out or not? Are my chances for getting into a good program decreased or the same?
 
DrGucciGal said:
I just looked at my PMR elective evaluation from an away rotation that I did in July. The evaluator (my attending) gave half of the ratings in satisfactory pass and half in high pass but at the end of the evaluation when it asks for final grade she gave me "satisfactory pass". I was expecting to get honors or at least high pass considering that PMR is what I am applying to this year and I verbalized to her that this is what I want to do and asked her for a LOR. Now I am worried that this "satisfactory pass" will be looked down upon when PD's look at it in my dean's letter. What was she thinking??? The comments on the evaluation were very good but now I am worried about what she will write in the LOR. Should I be freaking out or not? Are my chances for getting into a good program decreased or the same?

I wouldn't get too worked up. I didn't honor my away elective at the program I matched at (thanks, Dr. K!). Some attendings are a little funny with evaluations. From the comments she gave you on the eval, she'll prolly give you a good letter of rec and that will prolly carry more weight.

Good luck! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DrGucciGal said:
Thanks for the encouragment.

At my school we can get H/HP/P in our core 3rd year rotations. We can only get P in our electives and rest of MSIV year. So, therefore, when PD's get my dean's letter, they will see a P for my three PMR rotations, but for other applicants they may have a HP/H. Do all PDs know that some schools do not give honors for the MSIV year. Thanks.
 
hmmmm that's a tough one - I've never heard of such policy. Perhaps you can ask the dean to include in the dean's letter explanation of that policy.

Dr. Guccigal, I wouldn't get discouraged - it's only one grade. If you are truly concerned, perhaps you can ask her what you could have done to improve your performance so in future PM&R electives (if you have any scheduled), you can do better. (that way, it doesn't look like you're complaining or whining - just trying to improve) 🙂