Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I never thought I'd really be here at this point. Figured nerves, "life" would interfere and then I'd be forever stuck in the "need to take the MCAT" mode and by default, always have something to do or focus on.

Now I sit and the test is done. For real. I scored it but won't know until October 10th. Not really anxious about the score to me the test was a big "meh" - one passage in CARS had me flow charting :confused: to figure out who was doing what to whom and with what (seriously, would rather play CLUE!)...

But now what? It's that "no sense of purpose" at this point other than wait for results.

Sure, Irma hit FL and I volunteer with ARC and will likely be headed to Puerto Rico when civilians can enter (military goes first to secure, then we follow).

So... I've gone through the entire first season of Designated Survivor (which seems a lot like a DC based Battlestar Galatica), cleaned the house, walked the dogs, washed the cat (without chain mail), cleaned the gutters, curbs and palm tree debris from my ex-BFF Irma...

What does everyone else do when not in school, not working, etc? How do you stop from being absolutely bored?

Maybe I could go silent audit classes? Take a coursera course in Python?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I never thought I'd really be here at this point. Figured nerves, "life" would interfere and then I'd be forever stuck in the "need to take the MCAT" mode and by default, always have something to do or focus on.

Now I sit and the test is done. For real. I scored it but won't know until October 10th. Not really anxious about the score to me the test was a big "meh" - one passage in CARS had me flow charting :confused: to figure out who was doing what to whom and with what (seriously, would rather play CLUE!)...

But now what? It's that "no sense of purpose" at this point other than wait for results.

Sure, Irma hit FL and I volunteer with ARC and will likely be headed to Puerto Rico when civilians can enter (military goes first to secure, then we follow).

So... I've gone through the entire first season of Designated Survivor (which seems a lot like a DC based Battlestar Galatica), cleaned the house, walked the dogs, washed the cat (without chain mail), cleaned the gutters, curbs and palm tree debris from my ex-BFF Irma...

What does everyone else do when not in school, not working, etc? How do you stop from being absolutely bored?

Waiting for my MCAT was probably the longest month of my life haha. It sounds like you're handling it better than I did.

Do things you enjoy, start a new hobby, etc. not everything needs to be all pre med app stuff all the time. Enjoy life before your matriculation.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm still scribing. And I cleaned every room in my house from top to bottom - well, I've still got about 3 rooms to go, so there's that. Plus my kids' extracurricular activities require a full-time chauffeur. Still volunteering a lot for the various causes I support. I work out when I have time, but I honestly don't have that much of it, even with classes and MCAT out of the way. It makes me wonder how I did all of this last year, when I WAS in school and studying for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really bored, find something resume-building to do. If you don't know Spanish, learn that... Join a research lab/clinic. But my guess is, you're just in post-test let-down and anxious for time to pass until you get your score. I don't know if there's much to help with that.. ;)

Or, even better, you could sit in bed all day and do nothing but watch Netflix. That's what I'd do if I had a prolonged period of time off.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks, guys/gals. It's weird with the MCAT - I'm not anxious about the score given it was rescheduled 2 times in a matter of 2 weeks (9/2 due to transformer blown at building, rescheduled to 9/9 but Irma, took on 9/19 - Yerkes definitely was in play, sadly on wrong side). Kind of took the test with a January date in mind though I am very definitely hoping I was one and done!!

The Spanish idea is a good one - think Coursera has an intro class checking into that; what about Mandarin? French? (think DWB does a lot of work in Africa where the languages tend to be native + French); I do pick up free furniture and repurpose which is really therapeutic. All that sanding and priming and ... don't think I can do Netflix forever - I'm so used to be active (work + school + MCAT) that now with nothing? I don't want to fall into a sad mode...

Anyway, keep the ideas coming - I'm sure there are others who will find themselves at one point or another not working, not in school, not studying with time on their hands...

Exercise,
socialize with family and friends,
read books,
meditate,
go on hikes,
buy a hammock,
volunteer,
get a part time job,
cry because the suspense is killing you,
and so on!

There's a lot to choose from. I had the same mini-issue during the summer... I finished classes, and was taking a short break from research and had literally nothing to do; you just gotta go out and explore!

Exercise - definitely can do this!!
socialize with family and friends - no family, new area, few friends :(
read books - on my list
volunteer - I am with the ARC but on hiatus while we await assignment to Puerto Rico
get a part time job - looking for this; just ended a contract due to Irma but since Weds, been actively seeking a new role
cry because the suspense is killing you - definitely not killing me :D it'll be what it'll be... I'm happy/relieved I finally scored it!
you just gotta go out and explore!
It's the last point that I'm thinking, like where? So odd after 53 years to be sitting in a place where I'm bored out of my mind. If I had the funds, I'd travel but I'm saving them... glad to know I am not alone in this conundrum.

It's the last point that I'm thinking, like where? So odd after 53 years to be sitting in a place where I'm bored out of my mind. If I had the funds, I'd travel but I'm saving them... glad to know I am not alone in this conundrum.
Wait, am I reading that correctly? You're 53 years-young and are applying to medical school? That's awesome!

Also there are some cheap(er) ways to travel. If you really want to, go look at workaway.info. It's an organization that sets you up with individuals around the world (literally anywhere from India to France) that are willing to give you food and accommodation in exchange for some work; my friend did it for three months and had an incredible experience in South America. (I'm pretty sure it can be shorter than that too.) The only issue is finding a cheap(er) way to fly, if it's far—but even then, with enough planning and bargain-hunting, I'm sure you could find a flight that's not too bad!

Or you can take a little roadtrip. Or you could backpack for a week or two. Both are less expensive but no less rewarding!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, guys/gals. It's weird with the MCAT - I'm not anxious about the score given it was rescheduled 2 times in a matter of 2 weeks (9/2 due to transformer blown at building, rescheduled to 9/9 but Irma, took on 9/19 - Yerkes definitely was in play, sadly on wrong side). Kind of took the test with a January date in mind though I am very definitely hoping I was one and done!!

The Spanish idea is a good one - think Coursera has an intro class checking into that; what about Mandarin? French? (think DWB does a lot of work in Africa where the languages tend to be native + French); I do pick up free furniture and repurpose which is really therapeutic. All that sanding and priming and ... don't think I can do Netflix forever - I'm so used to be active (work + school + MCAT) that now with nothing? I don't want to fall into a sad mode...

Anyway, keep the ideas coming - I'm sure there are others who will find themselves at one point or another not working, not in school, not studying with time on their hands...

Huh. I redo furniture as well. We'll definitely have to get together! Seriously - waiting for my MCAT was the longest month this year. I was thankfully in the middle of moving and working on my AMCAS application, but there's the post-stress "depression" that sets in. The adrenaline is gone and you're waiting. I've been doing duolingo for Spanish, but let me know if you find a good Coursera course because I definitely need to brush mine up.

You could buy and sell furniture on Craigslist - find something really cheap, redo it, sell for a profit. I think I've made multiple thousands of dollars doing that (and not always on purpose - I buy something I like that is way underpriced, then spruce it up, then have to get rid of it the next year). Downside is that furniture takes up so much room.

Maybe join a gym and take a class each day? Or the YMCA? I really want an extra 4 hours each week so I can be a volunteer tutor, so you could look into something like that.

Good luck! I'm hoping October 10 comes sooner than you think, but it will still be a long few weeks.

Wait, am I reading that correctly? You're 53 years-young and are applying to medical school? That's awesome!
Your eyes be not deceiving you :) and thank you!!!

there are some cheap(er) ways to travel. If you really want to, go look at workaway.info.
Definitely looking into that!! I've been to 36 countries and all 50 states but most of that was work related so what I saw was on weekend excursions. If it were ski season, I'd head to CO (dogs and adult child be @#$ed ;) )

Huh. I redo furniture as well. We'll definitely have to get together!

We must! Seriously, I'm hoping you get the response from said school nearly the same day I get what I want from the MCAT. We can celebrate, talk over ideas; I just picked up a lightly used but slightly water damaged Broyhill hutch - needs a little help on the corner but I love it!! and there's the dresser --> tv stand (pretty common updo, I think)

The adrenaline is gone and you're waiting. I've been doing duolingo for Spanish, but let me know if you find a good Coursera course because I definitely need to brush mine up.

You could buy and sell furniture on Craigslist - find something really cheap, redo it, sell for a profit. I think I've made multiple thousands of dollars doing that (and not always on purpose - I buy something I like that is way underpriced, then spruce it up, then have to get rid of it the next year).
I think you nailed it on the head. Adrenaline is gone; poof like the wind and I'm looking for the fix, that purpose.

Do you pick up the furniture from flea markets? CL? FB? I found that hutch on FB in the Marketplace for free and once fixed, I think I'll keep it but you have me thinking about ways to make some extra money.

Golf, fish, and sleep. Not necessarily in that order.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bar hop
Tinder
Weightlifting
Running
Boozing
Get a job - deliver pizza
Drive for uber or lyft
Mow lawns
Do yard work for neighbors
Volunteer
Play video games
Read some books
Go to the library and read something
Buy the manual to your car and start figuring out how to work on cars
Join a local bowling league, become the dude from the Big Lebowski
Watch the Big Lebowski four hundred times
Sit and contemplate your life - revel the existential crisis
Watch the Big Lebowski again

I'm 53.

Thinking no one wants to see me :laugh:

Bar hop, Tinder, Weightlifting, Boozing, Get a job - deliver pizza (did this when I was 18 - 22), Drive for uber or lyft (vehicle is too old, too many miles), Do yard work for neighbors (already do this for free; live in an elderly neighborhood)

I'm in the same boat! My scores go out 10/3, but after my test I only had 2 weeks of freedom until fall quarter started.
Spent those 2 weeks visiting family in Texas, hanging out with friends, binge watching Stranger Things on Netflix, and worked on some new art projects. Now that the quarter has started I at least have my hw assignments to focus on so I don't go crazy waiting for the results.
Good Luck to you! 10/10 is just around the corner! :soexcited:

When I have loads of free time, probably loads of volunteering at various places. Non-clinical and clinical places

Never content with doing nothing. There's always something you can be doing. That's my motto

Do you pick up the furniture from flea markets? CL? FB? I found that hutch on FB in the Marketplace for free and once fixed, I think I'll keep it but you have me thinking about ways to make some extra money.

I'm obviously behind this week! I find furniture on the FB marketplace (need to redo my location since I'm trying to sell stuff), craigslist, and other places. I have fixed search terms for craigslist that I'll use periodically to see if anything has been updated. There are some thrift stores around - so I make note of any really good stores that have interesting furniture and revisit from time to time. Half the fun is the challenge of finding something and figuring out how to fix it up!

Being an applicant at 53, what do you think your biggest challenges will be this cycle? I'd imagine some push back from schools regarding your age due to limited time in practice and taking on massive debt at an age where many are gearing up for retirement. I worked admissions for a non-medical program in the past that outright rejected anyone over 50, claiming that it would take the spot of someone who had enough time to actually contribute to the field. Thoughts?

Watch the Wire, "it is the greatest television series of all time."

Being an applicant at 53, what do you think your biggest challenges will be this cycle? I'd imagine some push back from schools regarding your age due to limited time in practice and taking on massive debt at an age where many are gearing up for retirement. I worked admissions for a non-medical program in the past that outright rejected anyone over 50, claiming that it would take the spot of someone who had enough time to actually contribute to the field. Thoughts?
My biggest challenge is my 30 year old GPA; my schools are pretty well vetted to be non-trad, "length of life" friendly.

As far as taking someone else's seat, I'll leave it up to the fine people who make the decisions on who gets a seat. ;)

Watch the Wire, "it is the greatest television series of all time."
Going to check it out. The funny thing that glows and has sound coming from it is all new! Just realized Scandal is ending this year:arghh:

I can't imagine not working, not going to school... I'd be locked in a psych facility by now. Props to you for making it work!

Worked full time through all three degrees I have, MCAT prep, etc. Just dropped down to part time after I finished school to free up my schedule for any possible interviews. My job is pretty inflexible about getting days off after the schedule is made and I'm literally making my schedule for 10/29-12/9 right now, so it would probably have been near impossible to have days off the same days as any possible interviews if I worked full time still.

Just going down to part time, combined with no school, is giving me enough free time to make me nuts. I've kept up volunteering but it's only once a week for four hours. I'm thinking about picking up extra hours volunteering. As it is, I've mostly just been picking up overtime at work. 60 hours/week at part time status FTW!

I started hiking in the local state parks at least twice a week because I have put on some weight from stress and I'd like to get rid of it. I started playing the piano again, too - used to be good, but haven't played in years now. I'm also thinking about learning a foreign language during this free year just to have something to do. I took French in high school and college; maybe it's time to learn Spanish. :)

I can't imagine not working, not going to school... I'd be locked in a psych facility by now. Props to you for making it work!
Wouldn't say it's working; due to Irma my contract ended on 9/15 but found out on 9/16 (3 days pre-MCAT). So, I find myself going gonkers. Today's events (geebuz, I am BORED!)

1. picked the 3M auto-wrap off the front of my truck (it's been there since 2009 when the truck was new - bug guts be darned, I was pickin' and a peelin' that gunk off; still have some to do tomorrow, thank God)

2. picked up dog poo in the yard (5 dogs = big mess)

3. sent out 9 resumes in different parts of the country all with cover letters addressing that client's particular needs and how I can fulfill

4. washed the dachshund

5. fed the fish, did the dishes, cleaned the interior fencing (keeps the great danes out of the other side of the house)

6. steel wooled my chrome rims

7. dremeled the dogs' nails

Really a whole lot of busy but nothing ... hate this with a passion!! So, I would not say it's "working" :( bored. to. tears.

Huh. I redo furniture as well. We'll definitely have to get together! Seriously - waiting for my MCAT was the longest month this year. I was thankfully in the middle of moving and working on my AMCAS application, but there's the post-stress "depression" that sets in. The adrenaline is gone and you're waiting. I've been doing duolingo for Spanish, but let me know if you find a good Coursera course because I definitely need to brush mine up.

You could buy and sell furniture on Craigslist - find something really cheap, redo it, sell for a profit. I think I've made multiple thousands of dollars doing that (and not always on purpose - I buy something I like that is way underpriced, then spruce it up, then have to get rid of it the next year). Downside is that furniture takes up so much room.

Maybe join a gym and take a class each day? Or the YMCA? I really want an extra 4 hours each week so I can be a volunteer tutor, so you could look into something like that.

Good luck! I'm hoping October 10 comes sooner than you think, but it will still be a long few weeks.
This sounds exciting! My wife and I are trying our hands at the refurbishing business lol. We are starting with a few bucks and seeing what it will net us. To the OP, I would suggest the Python idea. My friends are computer science majors and talk about creating apps on a weekly basis! I have so many ideas for a future business and apps seem to make things easier (Who knows if this will even happen haha).

When I have loads of free time, probably loads of volunteering at various places. Non-clinical and clinical places

Never content with doing nothing. There's always something you can be doing. That's my motto

How do you manage to fit it into gaps so seamlessly?

Most-places I've ever volunteered at have always wanted wanted commitments of a year or more, had background checks, and done lots of due diligence. Do you just show up at a children's hospital with Wind in the Willows and waltz in?

Most-places I've ever volunteered at have always wanted wanted commitments of a year or more, had background checks, and done lots of due diligence. Do you just show up at a children's hospital with Wind in the Willows and waltz in?
No. I've been doing clinical volunteering since junior year of high school, regardless, if I know I am not doing anything for two weeks I let them know the days I will commit to come which will probably be everyday if that was the case, and not to mention my year long Non-clinical Ec's which meet on specific days.

2. picked up dog poo in the yard (5 dogs = big mess)

Holy moly, you do have a full time job already right now. I like cats better than dogs just because I think even one dog is too much work...

Assuming you're living in the same geographical area, it's really not too bad. I signed on with a local hospital in March that wanted at least a 3 month commitment for four hours every week. Required a full background check, a quantiferon for TB, etc. It was honestly easier to schedule around when I was working full time and in school full time, because I always had the exact same block of time on the same day of the week free.

However, I picked a department that's chronically short-staffed where a volunteer can do almost exactly the same job as a paid staff member, and those are really the keys to finding a very flexible volunteer position. If they need help all the time, and you meet the needs just as well as a paid employee, they'll really work with you on scheduling. I still do my scheduled four hour shift (8-12 on Monday now) but if I feel like staying longer, changing my regularly scheduled day/time, or coming in an extra day, they never turn me down.