Nowhere to go for rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docsrocks58

Reaction score
Can anyone share places that are taking students for rotations? My school is unable to provide any rotations and I've been calling around in multiple states to no avail. I am willing to go really anywhere. Hoping to match OB near NC/SC, but am open to anywhere that will take me. Also, if anyone has recommendations for OB rotations, please share. I have applied to over 20 places on VSAS and haven't even heard back from any. HELPPP.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone share places that are taking students for rotations? My school is unable to provide any rotations and I've been calling around in multiple states to no avail. I am willing to go really anywhere. Hoping to match OB near NC/SC, but am open to anywhere that will take me. Also, if anyone has recommendations for OB rotations, please share. I have applied to over 20 places on VSAS and haven't even heard back from any. HELPPP.
Your school doesn’t have an ob rotation for you?!

This due to COVID????

What is your school telling you?

Is this a new school?

Members don't see this ad :)

This is my 4th year, so I've already done my 3rd year core OB rotation. But I'd obviously like to do more. They said they don't have anything for me since the 3rd years are doing rotations with the doctors at the local hospital.

This due to COVID????

What is your school telling you?

Is this a new school?

Yep. They told me to call everywhere and see if any doctors will take me on. I've called within a 60 mile radius of Raleigh, N.C., Multiple cities in SC, Multiple cities in Arkansas (where I am for school), and Milwaukee/Chicago area. No one is taking outside students. Idk what else to do at this point.

Currently in a similar boat do not have an OB, IM or Peds rotation and EM rotation post to next year (currently 3rd year)

Yep. They told me to call everywhere and see if any doctors will take me on. I've called within a 60 mile radius of Raleigh, N.C., Multiple cities in SC, Multiple cities in Arkansas (where I am for school), and Milwaukee/Chicago area. No one is taking outside students. Idk what else to do at this point.
Sadly, due to COVID, you're not the only one in this boat. My own students lost all of their core rotation in one subject area, and we miraculously managed to scrambled and cobble up new ones.

The harsh truth is that your health comes first, even at the bitter price of taking a LOA for a year.

This sadly also illustrates one of the dangers of attending anew school, which will not have such an extensive arrangement of clinical sites as more established schools.

What are the kids at U AR doing?

I am at an established school and many in my class are having the same issues. Sadly, most DO schools require 4th years to set up their own elective rotations and this year there aren't many available. The schools should be held responsible for not providing training for their students, but I doubt they will.

I'm sure UArk students are fine because they have a large academic hospital that can accommodate 3rd and 4th years. I doubt many of those students were doing more than 1 or 2 aways.

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly, due to COVID, you're not the only one in this boat. My own students lost all of their core rotation in one subject area, and we miraculously managed to scrambled and cobble up new ones.

The harsh truth is that your health comes first, even at the bitter price of taking a LOA for a year.

This sadly also illustrates one of the dangers of attending anew school, which will not have such an extensive arrangement of clinical sites as more established schools.

What are the kids at U AR doing?
This is a DO school program not a *new* DO school problem, unfortunately. The pandemic should be highlighting just how bad 4th year is at a lot of schools and they should be held accountable.

Reactions: 3 users
Try Permian Basin in Texas. They have OB fellowship for FM and i heard they have med students rotating

Reactions: 1 users