7
762513
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just finished all my coursework and am in the research semester in a DNP/FNP program with expected graduation in May. I recently was emailed an opportunity for a acute care fellowship at a academic medical center different from my system of employment. I am torn on what choice to make.
I have worked as an RN in critical care for the last 5 years, and was lucky enough to have a fantastic intensivist agree to precept me for my final semester in the ICU setting. If I applied for the fellowship I would have to leave a system which I really like and start over in terms of PTO and retirement. The pro's are the reputation of the academic system, the fellowship experience, and the extra year of training. The con's are a pay difference of 50,000 dollars, starting over in a new system, and meeting all new attendings with the uncertainty that follows.
With the APRN consensus model in play, I feel I may be better off working as an NP and taking the required courses to become dual certified in acute care as well as family practice. I feel like if I was hired I would regret not using the year of training to become board certified as opposed to becoming trained in the fellowship.
Any thoughts on board certification vs. fellowship training?
I have worked as an RN in critical care for the last 5 years, and was lucky enough to have a fantastic intensivist agree to precept me for my final semester in the ICU setting. If I applied for the fellowship I would have to leave a system which I really like and start over in terms of PTO and retirement. The pro's are the reputation of the academic system, the fellowship experience, and the extra year of training. The con's are a pay difference of 50,000 dollars, starting over in a new system, and meeting all new attendings with the uncertainty that follows.
With the APRN consensus model in play, I feel I may be better off working as an NP and taking the required courses to become dual certified in acute care as well as family practice. I feel like if I was hired I would regret not using the year of training to become board certified as opposed to becoming trained in the fellowship.
Any thoughts on board certification vs. fellowship training?