NP and PA differences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cecilia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, ...why are NP's allowed to practice without supervision and Pa's are not , if PA's education is so much closer to the medical model. I don't get it.

Members don't see this ad.

many states require np's to be supervised ...they just call it "collaboration " instead but it means the same thing.....
do they need an md to review their work on certain patients, yes....are they then independent....no
can they practice as generalist like pa's? for the most part...no, they are limited by the extent of their training
peds np can't see adults
ob np can't see men or kids
adult np can't see kids
the fnp degree is a fairly general np degree and allows the most flexibility if you want to go the np route

So, I guess in California, they are allowed to work on their own. I saw an add on a magazine that had 3 FNP's but no doctor in the office. Or may be I should call them and find out to be clear.

cecilia said:
So, I guess in California, they are allowed to work on their own. I saw an add on a magazine that had 3 FNP's but no doctor in the office. Or may be I should call them and find out to be clear.
they might have a collaborating doc outside the practice.
pa's can do this too. there are lots of rural pa only practices where a doc stops by 1 day a month to chat and review a few charts.....
in north carolina the requirement is 1 30 min mtg every 6 months. no chart review. california has a new law that only pts who receive a sch 2 narcotic(morphine, etc) require review. no hard drugs? no required review.