NP Collaboration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychAPN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am brand new to this forum as a member, but have gone through various posts in the past and enjoyed the information provided. I am currently a Psych APN student in NJ, graduating in January, and am starting to be met with the reality of finding employment. My passion is in outpatient care, but the big road block that I have come across is finding a collaborator. Many of my colleagues that I have spoken with either have concerns about cost, are not ready to dive into private practice, or have a negative perspective on collaboration. Having worked with some amazing doctors as a nurse, I am a firm believer in the need for collaboration and can clearly see the benefits. The education, experience, and expertise a collaborator brings to the table can not be dismissed.
This brings me to finding a collaborator. How have you found collaborators? What is the typical agreement and fee schedule? I've seen ranges from only paying for face to face/phone meetings to a percentage of income and many things in between.
If anyone could point me in the right direction or would like to collaborate with me, please contact me. I have a growing interest in substance abuse and have already completed the X waiver training, just to put that out there.

Members don't see this ad.

As a new NP, I can imagine that collaboration is preferable as you venture out as a new grad. Down the line, you might want some daylight between yourself and paying a physician to supervise you. I think a safe bet for you should be to gain your footing working for a practice that is already set up before you try to essentially go solo right out of the gate.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with PAMAC....you should find a job first and learn how to practice psych before trying to venture out on your own and paying a physician collaborator.

PsychAPN, are you in a state that requires collaboration? New Jersey isn't an independent state, so I'm wondering if you are hoping to collaborate as backup, or would it be a requirement for you to be able to practice? I assumed you wanted collaboration as a way to basically get an orientation that you could pretty much get by working for someone else. But it sounds like you want to be independent, and are motivated. I don't know if you are tied to N.J or can move around, but if you can, you'd probably appreciate working in an independent state.