NP, PA, or AA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballerina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
I'm really confused.
Can someone explain to me the difference between NP-s, PA-s, and AA-s?
Which of them has the best opportunities, salary, hours and less stress?

Members don't see this ad.

So nobody here is NP, AA or PA?
Can anyone give me advice?

PA is trained on the medical model. NP is based on nursing theory. Other than that they basically compete for the same jobs, and then bicker about who has more autonomy and cite examples that represent <1% of the profession to back up a totally inane argument. If you are debating between NP and PA choose based on which theory you prefer, nursing (patient "care") or medical (patient "cure"). I got nothing on AA.

ballerina said:
hi,
I'm really confused.
Can someone explain to me the difference between NP-s, PA-s, and AA-s?
Which of them has the best opportunities, salary, hours and less stress?

An AA is an anesthesiologist assistant. They function day-to-day as anesthetists in the OR. AA is to anesthesiologist as PA is to MD. The other comparison about a nursing model vs medical model (NP vs PA) from the other poster was good as well. An AA trains in a medical-school environment, whereas a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) trains in a nursing-type model.

The primary difference between AA's and CRNA's is that AA's will always be working with anesthesiologists who provide medical direction (similar to a physician supervising a PA). They are designed to function as part of the anesthesia care team, which means anesthesiologists, CRNA's and/or AA's working together to take care of the patient.

Because of licensure issues, AA's practice in only about 15 states at the moment, although that number is increasing every year. CRNA's are able to practice in all 50 states, and depending on state laws or local policies, may practice independently.