NP with PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skidder11

Angry Puppy Face
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an RN with a BSN and a few years of nursing experience. I'm planning to continue my education, and I have always wanted to get a PhD but was wondering if being a NP/PhD and seeing patients on the side would make me more marketable (similar to MD/PhD). Research is my primary interest but I would like to be able to practice clinically as well. I'm not interested in getting a DNP. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would most def make you more marketable! And if you were teaching you could instruct the BSN, NP, and PhD students.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not certain that you will see a cumulative effect across the board from accumulating those different degrees like you might hope, but I think you’ll have access to some niche positions that you might be very happy with. If you spread yourself too broadly, you risk ending up a master of none, and that brings in less value to an employer that relies on revenue, like on the patient care side. But I do think the academic and teaching side would find it a unique curiosity that they may be more likely to embrace. It’s sounds like that might be the side that appeals to you.

But the NP does come with a cost in time, attention, and money, so it might not factor in to being worth the novelty when you take a look at he big picture. To be honest, it would be like a very ghetto MD/PhD because you are lacking the hard sciences that make the MD/PhD as robust for research applications as it is. As a nurse with a couple of biology degrees and then some, I’m aware of what nursing doesn’t bring to the table.

As far as your plan’s usefulness towards instructing students, I think it’s also a bit of a simplification to think that having the flexibility to teach at every level means your marketability is unmatched. There aren’t a lot of positions where you would even want to teach at every one of those levels (BSN, NP, and PhD). And schools of nursing are mostly segmented, so having insight into all three realms doesn’t always guarantee an administration role is a better fit vs someone heavily invested in focusing on one discipline.

I used to think that having several different skills added up to more marketability by offering a broad knowlege base, but I’m evolving on that base on what I’ve experienced and what I’ve learned from other people I’ve talked to. Being a former medical lab scientist hasn’t piqued the interest of my nursing employers, they just want to know about my years of nursing experience (although it really has been personally helpful). And nobody has thought much of my once stated interest in double certifying in PhMnp and FNP. You have to maintain those certs and excel in both of them, and that becomes unwieldy for something an employer doesn’t get much out of. Personally, it seemed like a cool accomplishment, but who really wants to go to the NP that merely dabbles in the craft, especially when we are already coming out of school a bit behind the curve when it comes to clinical hours? I’d want that setback to be bridged by plenty of clinical time.

So while I sympathize with your professional interest, I think you’ll be best served by planning to take those challenges on one modality at a time, rather than gathering up professions like Easter eggs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both!

pamac, I had similar thoughts on having both degrees. NP appeals to me less than a PhD, so I think for now I will focus on the PhD.

Status
Not open for further replies.