NPI / Medicaid Numbers for Post Doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

channah13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Is anyone here familiar with how to sign up for an NPI and Medicaid number as a Post Doc (or when working under someone else's license prior to licensure)? My agency requires that everyone has those numbers, even when billing under a licensed clinician. On the NPI registry there are tons of different categories (taxonomies), but we couldn't find one that seemed to fit for a post doc... obviously psychologist doesn't work without a license, and the practicum students all use "Student in an Organized Health Care Education/Training Program" which doesn't work either because they have to send a copy of a current transcript when applying for their medicaid number to prove that they're still a student. Our former psychologist moved out of state and all my coworkers are social workers or counselors, so I'm at a loss of how to proceed. Any guidance you guys could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I did this during my postdoc and I think I was under counselor or some other related term. PM me if you want me to look it up (my old taxonomy is still on record with my new one).

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a post doc, but had to go through the NPI registry for internship and I just called them with all sorts of questions. They were very helpful.

I know that I'm about a week late, but I wanted to thank you both for your help. We called Medicaid without any success, but I didn't think about speaking to the NPI registry directly. That makes a lot of sense!

Reactions: 1 user