NS FL 1-4 Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sapientnarwhal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
FL1: 128/126/130/128 (512)
FL2: 131/128/128/129 (516)
FL3: 129/126/129/129 (513)
FL4: 128(wtf)/quit/because of/chemphys (fail)

I've heard that the NS FL6 is exceedingly difficult, but I found it to be far easier than the FL4 C/P. I missed 18 questions on FL4, with close to half of them being due to errors in calculation and stupid mistakes (not paying attention to question stem and giving the opposite answer). I ended up missing 14 questions on FL6 C/P for a 128, also making an alarming number of stupid mistakes (I ended FL4 and decided to do more C/P sections).

I scored a 131 on FL2 after an intense week of content review following FL1, yet my scores are steadily declining if not plateauing. Typically there are 3-4 questions that I would likely miss even if I had 5 min. to spare for each question, but I do not know why I am missing so many.

How can I improve? My scores range from 128-131 on both NS and Kaplan, though I am always hard-pressed to finish the sections on time.

I desperately want a 520+ but it seems like I am destined for a 510-514. This is pretty disheartening, as my test date is 4/20. My last hope for success will be my performance on the AAMC C/P SB, but I doubt my luck will be any different.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @sapientnarwhal -

Have no fear! It is very, very, very possible for students who are scoring in the 512+ range on NS tests to make a final push and exceed that score. I can personally attest to working w/ students who scored in the 511-513 range on their last NS FLs before focusing on AAMC material for the final 3-4 weeks of studying and getting 520+ scores. Keep in mind that the Section Banks are also quite difficult and therefore not fully representative, and that the scored AAMC practice exams are still probably your best bet for a prediction of where you're at score-wise in the final stages of prep. (It's also worth noting that plateauing is a really common experience in MCAT prep, and non-linear improvement definitely happens).

On Test Day itself, confidence and mindset count for a lot, and in my experience those factors help account for whether students wind up overperforming their practice scores. By 1-2 weeks out, I would suggest starting to place a particular focus on mindset/focus/outlook-related issues - on Test Day itself, you ideally want to walk in well-rested, confident in yourself and your prep process, and ready to kill it (w/out going to the other extreme of overconfidence), so in the run-up to Test Day, it's good to make sure that everything is where it should be in terms of your sleep cycle, diet, etc.

But it sounds like you're in a very good place right now -- keep up the awesome work, focus on consolidating lessons that you're learning from your exams, and I think that excellent results are w/in reach!

Reactions: 1 user
My NS average from exams 1-4 was ~514 and I got 521 on the real deal, so I'd say you're in pretty good shape. I'll also say that this was exactly my average from the AAMC exams, so trust those scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @sapientnarwhal -

Have no fear! It is very, very, very possible for students who are scoring in the 512+ range on NS tests to make a final push and exceed that score. I can personally attest to working w/ students who scored in the 511-513 range on their last NS FLs before focusing on AAMC material for the final 3-4 weeks of studying and getting 520+ scores. Keep in mind that the Section Banks are also quite difficult and therefore not fully representative, and that the scored AAMC practice exams are still probably your best bet for a prediction of where you're at score-wise in the final stages of prep. (It's also worth noting that plateauing is a really common experience in MCAT prep, and non-linear improvement definitely happens).

On Test Day itself, confidence and mindset count for a lot, and in my experience those factors help account for whether students wind up overperforming their practice scores. By 1-2 weeks out, I would suggest starting to place a particular focus on mindset/focus/outlook-related issues - on Test Day itself, you ideally want to walk in well-rested, confident in yourself and your prep process, and ready to kill it (w/out going to the other extreme of overconfidence), so in the run-up to Test Day, it's good to make sure that everything is where it should be in terms of your sleep cycle, diet, etc.

But it sounds like you're in a very good place right now -- keep up the awesome work, focus on consolidating lessons that you're learning from your exams, and I think that excellent results are w/in reach!

I'm pumped to see this post (test date 8/18). Taking NS 2 tomorrow morning. Took NS1 last week and got a 509 127/127/128/127. On CP and BB I realized that I had about 15 questions left with 10mins in both sections. How do you get timing down? I need to get better at the timing in those sections. I honestly feel like I can crush it once I have the timing down. Also, I need to finish studying my PS and physics! Any advice would be much appreciated. BTW, I love NS and all that you folks offer for free, the MCAT podcast, etc. You rock!