NS FL 2 C/P Q10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Relevant information:

1 L samples from each broth were then inoculated with A. aceti grown in 5%, 10%, or 15% bacterial concentration growth media. The acidity of each broth sample was evaluated by acid–base titrationwith a standardized solution of 0.1 N sodium hydroxide, using phenolphthalein as an indicator. The acetic acid content of the fermentation products were measured 24, 48, and 72 hours after inoculation and reported as titratable acidity (%TA) in Table 2.X

Table 2 Titratable acidity percentage (%TA) in acetic acid fermentation broths

image_273333004431454597003169.png

Question:

Which of the following most closely approximates the pKa of phenolphthalein?

A.

B.

C.

D.

Explanation:

D is correct. Indicators function in acid-base titrations to identify, via color change or a similar mechanism, that an expected pH, and thus the titration endpoint, has been reached. In order to function in this way, an indicator must undergo a color change near the desired pH. This typically occurs because of a reversible change in the protonation state of the indicator. It is desirable then that the pKa of a chosen indicator be within ± 1 unit of the target pH. For the titrations performed in the study of acetic acid, a weak acid, and sodium hydroxide, a strong base, the end point of the titration will occur at a pH greater than 7. Of the possible pKa values given as answer choices, only D could function well as an indicator for a pH in this range.

A, B, C: These pKa’s would be too low to serve as an indicator of a solution pH greater than 7.

I picked B, because based on the table that is where the ranges fell. I don't understand why the titrant matters. The goal was to quantify the concentration of acetic acid, not sodium hydroxide. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

The whole point of a titration is to find the equivalence point of the reaction between the acid and the base. A SA and a SB usually has the point around 7. IN this case, you are dealing with a WA and a SB (Acetic Acid and NaOH). So when you react it, you're gonna obtain an equivalence point above 7, around the range of 9-11 in my opinion.
For the Indicator, how can you even tell if a reaction has even happened? In a lot of cases you could be dealing with colorless substances. When the exchange of H+ and OH- are equivalent with each other, it can give off a substance that can react with the indicator to tell you when the reaction has happened. You've seen the photos where theres like a pink substance in an Erlenmeyer flask right? The reaction turned pink because the indicator was right at the equivalence point to tell you when the exchange between H+ and OH- were the same or at least similar.
Overall, its just the fact where you want the indicator to be +- 1 to the pH of the equivalence point. So I'm thinking the answer should be 9.3

The whole point of a titration is to find the equivalence point of the reaction between the acid and the base. A SA and a SB usually has the point around 7. IN this case, you are dealing with a WA and a SB (Acetic Acid and NaOH). So when you react it, you're gonna obtain an equivalence point above 7, around the range of 9-11 in my opinion.
For the Indicator, how can you even tell if a reaction has even happened? In a lot of cases you could be dealing with colorless substances. When the exchange of H+ and OH- are equivalent with each other, it can give off a substance that can react with the indicator to tell you when the reaction has happened. You've seen the photos where theres like a pink substance in an Erlenmeyer flask right? The reaction turned pink because the indicator was right at the equivalence point to tell you when the exchange between H+ and OH- were the same or at least similar.
Overall, its just the fact where you want the indicator to be +- 1 to the pH of the equivalence point. So I'm thinking the answer should be 9.3

So let me make sure I understand this - because it is a weak acid, it takes a lot of OH- to dissociate it enough to reach the equivalence point of OH-. Therefore, because it uses a lot of OH-, that means that it makes the solution super basic. Yes?

So let me make sure I understand this - because it is a weak acid, it takes a lot of OH- to dissociate it enough to reach the equivalence point of OH-. Therefore, because it uses a lot of OH-, that means that it makes the solution super basic. Yes?
Because it is a weak acid, that means that it won't dissociate completely. The H will come off from the acid, but it will almost immediately go back to the conjugate base.
What the OH- does is that it stabilizes the H+ from going back to the acid by binding do it. You will need the power from OH- (a strong base) to counteract the strong power of the H+ to go back to the weak acid, hence the amount of H+ in the overall solution is lower. pH is a measure of how much H is in the solution. If theres LOW H+, that means theres HIGH OH-, and that means the pH is ABOVE 7

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you should notice first that the values given in the table are not pH measures. They are acidity content by percentage. Also, knowing that the end point for titrating a weak acid with a strong base is above 7 is something that's good to know. One of your gen chem labs probably focused on this very concept.

OP, you should notice first that the values given in the table are not pH measures. They are acidity content by percentage. Also, knowing that the end point for titrating a weak acid with a strong base is above 7 is something that's good to know. One of your gen chem labs probably focused on this very concept.
Probably...10 years ago.. o_O

#old