NS E4 FL #58 Spoiler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treeclimbingmonkey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I couldn't find a good description for this answer.

1608221210619.png

I remember groupthink being described as conforming to a group view to avoid feeling like an outcast. Hence, the reason I don't understand why C can't be a possible answer.

The correct answer is D, but I don't understand why.

Thank you all for your help! :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Groupthink is more a social phenomenon. Also, choice D is false because in-group members think the out groups are different from them. If choice D was worded “viewing out groups as different and necessitating violence...,” then it fits the def. of groupthink.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding why C is wrong (in other words, why C is an aspect of groupthink that contributes to mob violence), it's helpful to know Janis's eight symptoms of groupthink. One of these symptoms is the illusion of morality, which is sometimes described as an unquestioned belief in the morality of the group. Basically, groupthink doesn't just involve conforming to the group's views to avoid exclusion! Instead, members actually believe that what the group is doing is morally right—that it's making the world better, fulfilling a higher purpose, or something along those lines.

Here are all eight of the symptoms. I highly recommend learning them; it'll make questions about groupthink way easier, as we'll see from looking at the answer choices for this question:
  • The illusion of unanimity (this allows us to eliminate choice A)
  • The illusion of invulnerability (this lets us eliminate choice B)
  • The illusion of morality (this one, again, lets us get rid of choice C)
  • Self-censorship of ideas that don't align with the group consensus
  • Pressure on dissenters
  • Collective rationalization
  • Excessive stereotyping (particularly of opponents of the group)
  • The existence of mindguards
If you have any questions about any of these, let me know! Otherwise, good luck studying :)

Regarding why C is wrong (in other words, why C is an aspect of groupthink that contributes to mob violence), it's helpful to know Janis's eight symptoms of groupthink. One of these symptoms is the illusion of morality, which is sometimes described as an unquestioned belief in the morality of the group. Basically, groupthink doesn't just involve conforming to the group's views to avoid exclusion! Instead, members actually believe that what the group is doing is morally right—that it's making the world better, fulfilling a higher purpose, or something along those lines.

Here are all eight of the symptoms. I highly recommend learning them; it'll make questions about groupthink way easier, as we'll see from looking at the answer choices for this question:
  • The illusion of unanimity (this allows us to eliminate choice A)
  • The illusion of invulnerability (this lets us eliminate choice B)
  • The illusion of morality (this one, again, lets us get rid of choice C)
  • Self-censorship of ideas that don't align with the group consensus
  • Pressure on dissenters
  • Collective rationalization
  • Excessive stereotyping (particularly of opponents of the group)
  • The existence of mindguards
If you have any questions about any of these, let me know! Otherwise, good luck studying :)
Thank you very much!

Reactions: 1 user