NSU acceptance class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, I'm debating on whether or not to do the concurrent MPH degree offered by NSU. Or is it concurrent? Does it become a five year program if you opt for the MPH?

Can I wait until after first year to decide if I can go and complete the MPH?
You will have to wait until after first semester to begin the MPH program.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I'm debating on whether or not to do the concurrent MPH degree offered by NSU. Or is it concurrent? Does it become a five year program if you opt for the MPH?

I think I will do it. I am thinking of academic medicine though.

Members don't see this ad :)

The MPH is concurrent and as HemeOnc said you must at least complete first semester to apply/start the program.

Dania Beach today was awesome:cool: And I suggest taking an airboat ride in the everglades; that was a lot of fun too.
I think we go to Dania beach during orientation for a beach party/bbq. Score!

Hey kuba, did you spot any gators in the everglades?

Hey Kuba! Hope you're having fun down in Ft. Lauderdale! Post some of the cool pics ya got, if you can, on the facebook group. Seeing pictures of sunlit beaches will help give us Northerners hope as we slug through this ridiculously cold weather :laugh:

Ok guys, looks like I've come across a little error on NSU's part with regards to apartment locations.

My roommate went apartment hunting down in florida, and told me that sundance was nearby. I look up sundance on this here map on the NSU site, which shows a location of apartments close to campus. Lo and behold, sundance (#33) on the map is at least 10 miles away from the NSU main capus, waay out in Dania beach.

When double checking with the roommate, he gave me the address of the apartment, which is infact just down the street from the NSU main campus, and nowhere near the location that's shown on the map.

Moral of the story: don't rely completely on the map. Just a heads up.

Ok guys, looks like I've come across a little error on NSU's part with regards to apartment locations.

My roommate went apartment hunting down in florida, and told me that sundance was nearby. I look up sundance on this here map on the NSU site, which shows a location of apartments close to campus. Lo and behold, sundance (#33) on the map is at least 10 miles away from the NSU main capus, waay out in Dania beach.

When double checking with the roommate, he gave me the address of the apartment, which is infact just down the street from the NSU main campus, and nowhere near the location that's shown on the map.

Moral of the story: don't rely completely on the map. Just a heads up.
You probably realized this, but the Sundance on the NSU site map does exist and is located in Dania Beach, but it's a hotel complex now. There's also a Sundance apartment complex in central Florida too. It seems like it's a common name. But yeah, there is a Sundance condo complex next to the Sunforest which is down the street from NSU's main campus.

Members don't see this ad :)

You make the decision about 1/2 way thru your first year...you don't have to decide now.

as HOD noted: Sundance condos are RIGHT across the street from school right next to sun forest...sundance is actually closer to school then sunforest

Hi NSU-COM Class 201:)

Hope everyone that has matriculated is doing well and getting some r and r and having some fun before the start of med school; and I hope that everyone that is awaiting an interview/acceptance to NSU-COM gets in this year.:luck:

I know its way early but I thought it would be fun to post our specialty interests:

ANESTHESIOLOGY

CRITICAL CARE

DERMATOLOGY

EMERGENCY MEDICINE

FAMILY MEDICINE

HOSPICE & PALLIATIVE MEDICINE

INTERNAL MEDICINE & IM SUBSPECIALTIES

---Cardiology

---Gastroenterology

---Nephrology

NEUROLOGY

OB/GYN

OPHTHALMOLOGY

PAIN MEDICINE

PATHOLOGY

PEDIATRICS

PM&R

PSYCHIATRY
sasevan:love:

RADIATION ONCOLOGY

RADIOLOGY

SURGERY & SURGERY SUBSPECIALTIES

---Plastic Surgery

---Neurosurgery

---Orthopedic Surgery

-Otolaryngology

-Urology

Deposit=paid:scared:

Wow Kuba! Congrats! No worries. Small amount in the grand scheme! :D
Though now you will probably hear from UMDNJ, of course....:rolleyes: (that was at the school, not you!)

All paid up too...go NSU-COM!!!:clap:

Does anyone know if commuting from Miami to NSU-COM is advisable?:confused:

That was my plan but a couple of people at the dental school at NSU say that they had to move near the campus cause they're often in the anatomy lab until midnight.

i would highly advise against it...altho there are a couple of ppl from my class commuting from miami, boca, coral springs...so it can be done..

Ask yourself this: Can you handle the prospect of commuting upto 2 hours each day from Miami to Ft lauderdale, because of rush hour traffic?
If the answer is no, then stay away from miami

thanks for the feedback:thumbup:

How can I pay this deposit on the phone or online? Always last minute...

You can do it by calling them, the HPD admissions office and then say you want osteopathic medicine when they ask and just say you want to pay by credit card or whatever.

I've been looking to apply very early for the class of 2012 this next application cycle. Stats ~3.2Gpa and 30R MCAT, with a great LOR from a family medicine DO who graduated in '62. Was wondering if I should retake the MCAT and add a few EC's or anything else that might help out my chances. Really interested in emergency medicine with my eye on one of the residency spots at Mount Sinai. I think I would also like to do the concurrent MPH route. Was wondering if anyone had any advice that would help prepare me for a great success (translation=acceptance). Thanks for any help. :cool:

I've been looking to apply very early for the class of 2012 this next application cycle. Stats ~3.2Gpa and 30R MCAT, with a great LOR from a family medicine DO who graduated in '62. Was wondering if I should retake the MCAT and add a few EC's or anything else that might help out my chances. Really interested in emergency medicine with my eye on one of the residency spots at Mount Sinai. I think I would also like to do the concurrent MPH route. Was wondering if anyone had any advice that would help prepare me for a great success (translation=acceptance). Thanks for any help. :cool:

haha, was that a Borat reference? ANyways, I got in very early with a 3.2 gpa and 32 mcat.

No, definitely do not retake the MCAT. Your MCAT is good, your gpa is subpar, but the mcat should counter that. Take the time to polish your application, maybe add an interesting EC, etc. Best of Luck:luck: .

Ask yourself this: Can you handle the prospect of commuting upto 2 hours each day from Miami to Ft lauderdale, because of rush hour traffic?
If the answer is no, then stay away from miami

I currently live in Miami and work in Fort Lauderdale. It really is reverse rush hour traffic so it is not that bad...it can take as little as half hour most days or as much as an hour if you have an accident or traffic for whatever reason. I'm going to be doing the same commute with NSU for the first two years and hopefully can score a Miami placement my last two years, bc my hubby works really long hours, and it makes more sense for me to do the commute especially since it is reverse the flow of traffic.

I currently live in Miami and work in Fort Lauderdale. It really is reverse rush hour traffic so it is not that bad...it can take as little as half hour most days or as much as an hour if you have an accident or traffic for whatever reason. I'm going to be doing the same commute with NSU for the first two years and hopefully can score a Miami placement my last two years, bc my hubby works really long hours, and it makes more sense for me to do the commute especially since it is reverse the flow of traffic.
Sounds good to me. You're used to it so it's become routine. :)

Yep, I live in NW Miami and 5 minutes from I-95 so going up in the AM (especially on the Turnpike) is about 30 minutes and in the PM probably no more than 45 minutes (of course, this is if there are no accidents on I-95 and/or the Turnpike-which today there was and it took me about 1.5 hours:mad: )
My real concern was with having to stay late at NSU for anatomy lab or something and then getting back to Miami only to have to get up early to go back up to NSU.
In any case its now a mute point for me since I was up there today renting an apartment and I'll now be 5 minutes away from the school:D
P.S. I'm with you on the Miami placement; do you know if JMH or Mt. Sinai have rotations?

Yep, I live in NW Miami and 5 minutes from I-95 so going up in the AM (especially on the Turnpike) is about 30 minutes and in the PM probably no more than 45 minutes (of course, this is if there are no accidents on I-95 and/or the Turnpike-which today there was and it took me about 1.5 hours:mad: )
My real concern was with having to stay late at NSU for anatomy lab or something and then getting back to Miami only to have to get up early to go back up to NSU.
In any case its now a mute point for me since I was up there today renting an apartment and I'll now be 5 minutes away from the school:D
P.S. I'm with you on the Miami placement; do you know if JMH or Mt. Sinai have rotations?

I know that Mt. Sinai has rotations with NSU, but I'm pretty sure that JMH does NOT. Maybe you can do a visiting rotation at JMH during 4th year...but not sure...UMiami and JMH seem to be getting more insular with each day, so I don't know if there is a great chance of that.

Hey all,
I just had a quick question regarding how long it took NSU to get back to you with regards to your acceptance. Did it take a week? Do you know what days the admissions board met on? I interviewed down there on March 9th and Im anxiously awaiting word from them. How did they notify you? email? phone call? website? I've gotten into Lecom-Bradenton and WVSOM, but I don't want to pay 46k (in tuition) / year to go to medical school especially when I could go somewhere else for 20K/yr less. (LECOM-B) But, Im still not sure about which one I want to go to. However, if I get into NOVA, then ill go there for sure. Thanks alot for your help guys, and hopefully I'll see you in the fall.

Don

They also told me in the interview that they wouldn't know how long it would take to get back to me... is that just a generic statement that they told you guys as well, or is it just b/c its so late in the process? Just wondering.

I interviewed on a friday, the adcom met the following monday (I think), and I got the call on the friday of that week, which is exactly what they told me. However, because it's late in the game, things may have changed.

Got a call the friday morning a week after my interview, which was on a thursday the previous week.

Hey all,
I just had a quick question regarding how long it took NSU to get back to you with regards to your acceptance. Did it take a week? Do you know what days the admissions board met on? I interviewed down there on March 9th and Im anxiously awaiting word from them. How did they notify you? email? phone call? website? I've gotten into Lecom-Bradenton and WVSOM, but I don't want to pay 46k (in tuition) / year to go to medical school especially when I could go somewhere else for 20K/yr less. (LECOM-B) But, Im still not sure about which one I want to go to. However, if I get into NOVA, then ill go there for sure. Thanks alot for your help guys, and hopefully I'll see you in the fall.

Don

They also told me in the interview that they wouldn't know how long it would take to get back to me... is that just a generic statement that they told you guys as well, or is it just b/c its so late in the process? Just wondering.
It took me almost three weeks to hear because of the adcom's inability to meet on the scheduled review day and the Dean's absence when the letter needed to be signed.

for those commuting from miami..this is something to consider...Even tho you are "used to the routine" ...it may seem to make it more bearable..

however..after class from 8-3ish sometimes till 5...and if you do MPH..till 9 pm!!...and then having to study hours upon hours after class not to mention the extra hours of lab that is usually required (this is medical school you know)...is it really worth your sleep to commute? i dono about you..but my sleep is priceless.. and limited to say the least...just my 2 pennies...

WTF! Was it big?

It was an adult but not full sized. It wasn't the required length for animal control to come get it, so we had to scare it off into the wooded area behind my building:rolleyes:

I know that Mt. Sinai has rotations with NSU, but I'm pretty sure that JMH does NOT. Maybe you can do a visiting rotation at JMH during 4th year...but not sure...UMiami and JMH seem to be getting more insular with each day, so I don't know if there is a great chance of that.

I like Mt. Sinai a lot and LOVE JMH; I hope to do my residency at the latter.
Do you know if one can do all rotations at Mt. Sinai?
Mt. Sinai would be great but actually Broward General may even be better; dunno really.
I wisn NSU's Med Village would be built by the time we're ready for rotations but I guess the best we could hope for would be for it to be built by residency.
Any news on the Med Village?

Does graduation from NSU give you a leg up on residencies at Mount Sinai?
:cool:

I like Mt. Sinai a lot and LOVE JMH; I hope to do my residency at the latter.
Do you know if one can do all rotations at Mt. Sinai?
Mt. Sinai would be great but actually Broward General may even be better; dunno really.
I wisn NSU's Med Village would be built by the time we're ready for rotations but I guess the best we could hope for would be for it to be built by residency.
Any news on the Med Village?

NOBODY...regardless of what rotation you are selected into will be spending their entire 3rd/4th year at the hospital. The months that are usually in the hospital are: OBGYN (1), IM (3), Surgery (2), Peds Inpatient (1), Psych (1), Emergency (1).

For Mt Sinai, usually you will do your surgery, IM, and ER at Sinai. Psych, OB and Peds are sometimes done at other hospitals. The amount of time you spend at your base hospital changes from rotation to rotation.

Everyone will be doing 2 months of Family med OUT of the hospital, Geriatrics (often at nursing home types of places), 1 month of outpatient peds, and 3 months of rural rotations (two in FL, one wherever you choose). The rest of your 4th year is made up of elective/away rotations.

That is what they are like this year at least...things change a little bit from time to time. Don't worry--there is a TON of time to figure out the rotation thing during your 2nd year of medical school. It is absolutly nothing to think about now. Worry about passing Physiology and Microbiology first. ;)

...I have no new news on the medical villiage, I think it's all up in the air.

Does graduation from NSU give you a leg up on residencies at Mount Sinai?
:cool:

Medicine is all about who knows you, and impressing the right people. If you do rotations in the Miami area/Mt.Sinai and IMPRESS everyone, it can definately help you getting a residency slot.

However, you can also be your own detriment if you ruffle feathers while you are on your rotations at Mt Sinai and piss people off. I know a few ppl who have been "moved" from rotations because they were not liked by staff or made other critical errors in judgement. These people probably won't be getting residencies in those hospitals. ;)

Everything in life is what you make of it.

Medicine is all about who knows you, and impressing the right people. If you do rotations in the Miami area/Mt.Sinai and IMPRESS everyone, it can definately help you getting a residency slot.

However, you can also be your own detriment if you ruffle feathers while you are on your rotations at Mt Sinai and piss people off. I know a few ppl who have been "moved" from rotations because they were not liked by staff or made other critical errors in judgement. These people probably won't be getting residencies in those hospitals. ;)

Everything in life is what you make of it.

So, are you hoping to get a residency slot at Mt Sinai through your rotations?

MikeyLu, yes, the commute from miami to ft. lauderdale is not ideal. But the reason why I will most likely end up at NSU over other schools (and likely an MD school) in Florida is its location and/or commuting distance to South Florida (Miami). I love sleep as much as (if not more than) the next person, but my spouse has a really time intensive job in Miami who couldn't move to Ft. lauderdale and make the commute in the direction of rush hour for two years so that I can sleep an extra hour. Plus, I'm not a fan of Ft. Lauderdale...so I'd like to minimize my time there.