NSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fin-Nor said:
so how's it like to be a green person for a day?

It felt like skipping class... :)

Actually, it was way cool. I got to inject and inspect and ultimately pull teeth! Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay Class of 2008...question for you.

I have a "Point of Contact" paper that I need filled out (way before I will be in Florida) by the registrar/bursar's office for a scholarship. I have tried to send it to NSU 3 times (with SASE so it would be returned with no cost to them). Does anyone have any clue who I could call and a number at which to reach someone so that I can send it to the proper person.

I can't get anyone at any number I have as a point of contact to even answer the phone so that I know who to send it to. Any names/numbers/email addresses would be appreciated.

Thanks

Any info on Gardens At Nova would be helpful. Pet policy???? Proximity to HPD. Better or worse than Sun Forest????? :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Gardens at Nova is nice, but you could live at Cedar Key or Sunforest and still be able to walk to class. Or you could live at Palm Trace in nicer apartments for about the same price and same driving distance.

Just my $.02.

Anyone else get screwed by the dickhead on SPE?? why is that Dr. still grading us?? i thought they were getting rid of him.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

kaikai128 said:
Okay Class of 2008...question for you.

I have a "Point of Contact" paper that I need filled out (way before I will be in Florida) by the registrar/bursar's office for a scholarship. I have tried to send it to NSU 3 times (with SASE so it would be returned with no cost to them). Does anyone have any clue who I could call and a number at which to reach someone so that I can send it to the proper person.

I can't get anyone at any number I have as a point of contact to even answer the phone so that I know who to send it to. Any names/numbers/email addresses would be appreciated.

Thanks

For scholarships, you probably need to get a hold of anyone in the student accounting office, or financial aid. call one of those and they should be able to help you or at least point you the right way. numbers on the website

That match list is pretty diverse this year. 9 people in that class went into EM. Thats a good amount!

I am procrastinating on my bacteriology exam studying and watching the freaking draft.

I should be seriously flipping out but for some reason I am not....I'll probably bomb it but eh....

I only have a few weeks left before I have my 6 week vacation!

Can someone please explain the match numbers to me....

SO the total is 168,,,but I know NSU graduates more than that....I think for that entering year the class was 180 or 200....so what happend to the rest of the students. I know NSU doesnt have much of an attrition rate so that probably isnt it? Any ideas? Thanks

discover said:

SO the total is 168,,,but I know NSU graduates more than that....I think for that entering year the class was 180 or 200....so what happend to the rest of the students. I know NSU doesnt have much of an attrition rate so that probably isnt it? Any ideas? Thanks

Not sure but NSU has significantly increased numbers over the last few years and I am not sure of those that started so far back. I know there is only like 200-210 of the current m2's. We started around 220 but I know we have about 3-5 that already have left due to multiple things and thats not counting who may have academic proplems at the end of the year. As for the difference in that match? who knows

discover said:

There IS high attrition at NSU - we've just invested too much time and money to formally drop out. Some ideas w/regard to the #s. First of all, NSUCOM does increase its class size some each year. The class of 2005 started with something like 224 students... In addition, some specialties also match interns outside the NRMP. There are also students participating in undergraduate fellowships, research, or MPH programs who elect to take an additional year. Aren't there 6-8 OMM fellows ??? Still others fail, drop out, or withdrawal from medicine altogether.

Match statistics can be pretty misleading. The NSUCOM match list, as you know, incorporates the AOA, military, and NRMP programs. There's not much formal guidance with regard to the match process, and its up to you to wade through the muddy waters of graduate medical education. Talk to the upperclassmen, keep an open mind, and get the information from people who have met with success. You'll interact with lots of attendings and some residents during the clinical years- those relationships are priceless in terms of creating an effective match strategy. Passing the required pre-clinical coursework (like physio) and ace-ing step I of the boards also helps! LOL. Good luck and congrats on your acceptance to NSU. Don't call it NOVA. Dean Silvagni gets pretty worked up over that. For more specifics, email Dr. Bart Whitehead about the numbers game- He's the "Director of Student and Administrative Services" His email is:
[email protected]....

-PuSh

pushinepi2 said:
There IS high attrition at NSU - we've just invested too much time and money to formally drop out. Some ideas w/regard to the #s. First of all, NSUCOM does increase its class size some each year. The class of 2005 started with something like 224 students... In addition, some specialties also match interns outside the NRMP. There are also students participating in undergraduate fellowships, research, or MPH programs who elect to take an additional year. Aren't there 6-8 OMM fellows ??? Still others fail, drop out, or withdrawal from medicine altogether.

Match statistics can be pretty misleading. The NSUCOM match list, as you know, incorporates the AOA, military, and NRMP programs. There's not much formal guidance with regard to the match process, and its up to you to wade through the muddy waters of graduate medical education. Talk to the upperclassmen, keep an open mind, and get the information from people who have met with success. You'll interact with lots of attendings and some residents during the clinical years- those relationships are priceless in terms of creating an effective match strategy. Passing the required pre-clinical coursework (like physio) and ace-ing step I of the boards also helps! LOL. Good luck and congrats on your acceptance to NSU. Don't call it NOVA. Dean Silvagni gets pretty worked up over that. For more specifics, email Dr. Bart Whitehead about the numbers game- He's the "Director of Student and Administrative Services" His email is:
[email protected]....

Hey there,

I just read your post and it kinda scared me...you stated that there IS a high failure or attrition rate at NSU. During my interviews and talking to students most complained about the attendance policy but stated that almost everyone passes. I was also told that only like 4-5% fail a hard class like physio but almost all remediate and pass....

SO how much failing is actaully going on there....this is actually one of my biggest fears to invest all this time but failing because of some curve or something....Maybe I just read your post wrong...anyway thanks

"SO how much failing is actaully going on there..."

By attrition, I only meant to suggest that the time, money, and demands of medical education are enough to wear anyone down. I don't know if those actual statistics are available. 4-5% sounds about right. Again, attrition can be difficult to quantify because students are held back for a variety of reasons including personal, financial, academic, and educational. The good news is that the basic science year is one of NSU's strongest attributes. Professors have an open door policy. If you've met Dr. Laubach (Dean of the College of Medical Sciences), then you know he's absolutely hysterical. To quote from one of his lectures on leishmanaisis:

"You know who your friends are when they'll carry your balls across a river."

Enjoy the ride!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point ben. There are a lot fo reasons.

BTW I love laubach. I had the pleasure of meeting him for the first in in Peru. He got up in front of 100 volunteers and pretty much said...."gimmie your s**t so I can look at it" with a big ass smile. It toally cracked up the room but they wanted to see some pathology from feces. I am just kinda sad they we get him at the end of microbiology when we are numb. Its totally worth me going to class cause he is pretty witty and he makes it a little more interesting.

I have to give props to our school for the presentation last night. For those that don't know we had a presentation from 5pm till about 9:30ish in Steele. What the program was about was how our current 4th year students went about getting their current residencies. Now, I will admit the program ran a bit long...especially since m1's have an exam monday and m2's have board coming up...then again it was mainly a program for m3's.

The first half hour was a seminar about CV's and general interviewing help. Then we had multiple people come up and talk about their residencies they just recieved. This included OB/GYN, 2 EM, gas, PM&R, FM, IM, Optho, military, and others. Even as a m1 I found it extremely helpful and it answered a LOT of my questions I had in the process. Of course SDN is a big help too but it was nice to hear the stories from fellow students that just went through the gambit we are currently in and ended up in sweet programs. I'm just giving props....ok now I am going to go study...I swear!

I love gas!

da man with the brownish tan,

Ga$ Mani

one more week and then we'll be m2's. lol.

still the bottom, but at least not the very bottom.

one week? Hell, I am just happy to be done with classes!!!!!

Oh, and I have to say every day Mycology and Parsitology were worth the price of admission....every day. Those were some awesome slides..... (said in my best old school voice)

Robz said:
Oh, and I have to say every day Mycology and Parsitology were worth the price of admission....every day. Those were some awesome slides..... (said in my best old school voice)

i guess i wasted my money's worth. never paid attention while sitting back there.

then you missed the great pictures.....awesome.

Worms exploding out of a human, elephantitis of the scrotum, and things living in your eye....classic AND disgusting.

easiest of the year.

Here's to your last exam...just some thoughts...

I drew cartoons/pictures for this test...here's a couple ideas to help u remember a couple:

For Toxoplasmosis:

picture Gandhi's head on a body of a cat that is taking a crap( Toxoplasma Gandii, associated with cat feces)

For American Trypanosomiasis:

picture the American Tom "Cruz" FURTing after being bit and pooped on by the Reduviid bug(Trypanosoma Cruzi...treated by NiFURTimox...transmission via reduviid bug feces)

And now back to your regularly scheduled program .....or in my case...BOARD-dom! :eek:

Congrats on making it through your first year Class of '08!

I was just wondering if any of you are moving and/or planning on selling any furniture, or know someone who is. I'll be moving into Cedar Key on July 8th, and setting up home. I'm driving down with whatever will fit in my and my mother's cars, so if you are looking to get rid of anything from bed frames, desks, couches, tables...(you get the idea-anything)...let me know. Thanx, my email is [email protected] or just PM me.

Sharon Lee
Class of '09

Hey Guys,
I am going to be MS1 at NSU this fall. I just got a Littman Cardiology III stethoscope as a gift. Can I use it or do I need a two head stethoscope ( according to Stickyboy's guide)?

Thanks,
Mandar

mandar said:
Hey Guys,
I am going to be MS1 at NSU this fall. I just got a Littman Cardiology III stethoscope as a gift. Can I use it or do I need a two head stethoscope ( according to Stickyboy's guide)?

Thanks,
Mandar

that's plenty fine.

Fin-Nor said:
that's plenty fine.

That's plenty fine indeed. Such are the stresses of NSUCOM. I believe the cardiology three should come with an extra bell. If you really want to impress the clinical practicum folks, just switch out your pedi diaphragm and turn it into a bell. (If your preceptor is sleeping, then this extra effort will be all for naught.)

All hail stickboy.

The stethoscope needs to have a diaphragm and a bell separately. Do not get a master cardiology stethoscope.

Late
Cola

I have some curret students say that we don't need to buy books. Apparently the notes the professors are enough to pass...
I don't know if I would go to the extreme and say I'm not gonna buy any books AT ALL...but I was wondering what the general opinion was on this...

Sorry if it's been posted before on this thread, I couldn't find anything :(

Karina

NSU-COM Class of 2009!

Karina said:
...I have some curret students say that we don't need to buy books. Apparently the notes the professors are enough to pass...
I don't know if I would go to the extreme and say I'm not gonna buy any books AT ALL...but I was wondering what the general opinion was on this...
Sorry if it's been posted before on this thread, I couldn't find anything...
NSU-COM Class of 2009!

Don't listen to other medical students! :) The irony of this statement, of course, is easily appreciated. Whether or not you require books is a function of how you study. Some students are detail oriented and need the convenience of an available reference. Others prefer the correspondence approach and simply read the notes. I, for one, advocate for balance in all things. I did extremely well in my first year with only a few textbooks. Here are some unqualified and humble opinions... Remember that many course texts are available for your review in the library. Notes are especially plentiful and thorough during the first year because they're furnished for you by the PROFESSORS!

1. Anatomy: BITE THE BULLET AND BUY THE BOOKS. You'll get a free netter's atlas once you apply with SOMA/AMSA. Even if this offer isn't available, I'd recommend having the convenience of an anatomy atlas. There's debate on which is better; I had two of them. The Grant's dissector manual was required, but usually only one member of the group needs to bring it to gross lab. It helps to have a road map through gross despite Dr. Conover's detailed handouts.

2. Biochem: Up to you. Most of the test questions were straight from the handouts. This course is well structured and the objectives are fairly clear. I had an old text from undegrad that worked just fine.

3. OPP: Not needed.. FOM is really overkill. Many students prefer the DiGiovanna (small blue) book. Its cheaper and has more pictures.

4. Physio: Huge workload. Again, some prefer having a reference. The high yield books work well. Notes are quite adequate. Renal is well known for being a, "killer," and many of my classmates purchased an NMS book.

5. Histology: Buy Dr. Dribin's videotapes and review them. Atlases are available in the library. You'll have plenty of lab time available.

6. Micro/Immuno: No book needed, Dr. Hada's handouts are enough to kill any forest.

By the way, I do have some texts available for sale. They're used, but please visit the classified section if you're interested. I don't want to use this message space for such a shameless plug. Anyway, best wishes.

-P

Wow! Thanks for the thorough response! I can't wait to start and have such classmates! Always willing to help out! I am so glad I chose NSU :D

Karina

pushinepi2 said:
Don't listen to other medical students! :) The irony of this statement, of course, is easily appreciated. Whether or not you require books is a function of how you study. Some students are detail oriented and need the convenience of an available reference. Others prefer the correspondence approach and simply read the notes. I, for one, advocate for balance in all things. I did extremely well in my first year with only a few textbooks. Here are some unqualified and humble opinions... Remember that many course texts are available for your review in the library. Notes are especially plentiful and thorough during the first year because they're furnished for you by the PROFESSORS!

1. Anatomy: BITE THE BULLET AND BUY THE BOOKS. You'll get a free netter's atlas once you apply with SOMA/AMSA. Even if this offer isn't available, I'd recommend having the convenience of an anatomy atlas. There's debate on which is better; I had two of them. The Grant's dissector manual was required, but usually only one member of the group needs to bring it to gross lab. It helps to have a road map through gross despite Dr. Conover's detailed handouts.

2. Biochem: Up to you. Most of the test questions were straight from the handouts. This course is well structured and the objectives are fairly clear. I had an old text from undegrad that worked just fine.

3. OPP: Not needed.. FOM is really overkill. Many students prefer the DiGiovanna (small blue) book. Its cheaper and has more pictures.

4. Physio: Huge workload. Again, some prefer having a reference. The high yield books work well. Notes are quite adequate. Renal is well known for being a, "killer," and many of my classmates purchased an NMS book.

5. Histology: Buy Dr. Dribin's videotapes and review them. Atlases are available in the library. You'll have plenty of lab time available.

6. Micro/Immuno: No book needed, Dr. Hada's handouts are enough to kill any forest.

By the way, I do have some texts available for sale. They're used, but please visit the classified section if you're interested. I don't want to use this message space for such a shameless plug. Anyway, best wishes.

-P

I'll just add that costanzo is the bomb (and my bible for physio). I rocked renal with that book. Mine is read through and though....oh and she is the one that wrote the BRS version of physio. :)

pushinepi2 said:

-P

I completely agree with everything Pushinepi has said. Here's a few more recommendations from me....

1. ANATOMY - Moore's Clinical Anatomy is a great textbook, but probably more than you'll have time to read. I did just great with Essential Clinical Anatomy. Don't forget to stock up lots of colored pencils, crayons, or markers for class! ;)

2. BIOCHEM - Do not buy a book!!!

3. OPP - OK, I have the FOM. I read it a few times. It looks nice sitting on my shelf. It also makes a nice doorstop.

4. PHYSIO - I totally agree with Robz on the Constanzo text. It explains a lot of the concepts very clearly.

5. HISTO - Pushinepi is too old to know that Dr. Dribin has upgraded to DVD's :p This are absolutely the best study aid you will ever get! Buy buy buy!!!

6. MICRO/IMMUNO - There's waaaaay too much material to get through to even have time to think about reading a book. They are in the library if you ever need to look something up.

7. CLINICAL PRACTICUM - You do need the book for this class, and it's very good. Wait and buy your medical equipment at the sale the school puts on. I'd say about 1/3 of our class has the Littman Cardiology III stethescope. I think it's a great stethescope with excellent sound quality. As far as other equipment, don't go crazy. The PanOptic opthalmoscope is really cool, but probably overkill for a medical student. All you really need are the basics, as most equipment will be "on the wall" during your rotations.

8. SUMMER READING - If you are looking for some great medical books to read before starting, here are some of my favorites.
Complications by Atul Gawande (a surgeon's notes on the imperfect science of medicine; one of the best and most interesting medical books you will ever read)
House of God by Samuel Shem (the standard book for pre-meds)
The D.O.'s by Norman Gevitz (a little more weighty than the other books, but it will give you excellent insight into the profession you are about to enter)

Above all, don't think about all this stuff and just ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!!!! :cool:

I have actually just started to think about all this stuff. This summer has started ad a good reading summer for me. I have read the Dan Brown novels, Stiff, Genome, The Catcher in the Rye (for like the 100th time!), and I just ordered The House of God and First do no harm from amazon.com. Too bad the long weekend delayed my order and I won't be able to start my reading until next week..but oh well!

Thanks for the input!
Karina

Pegasus52082 said:
I completely agree with everything Pushinepi has said. Here's a few more recommendations from me....

1. ANATOMY - Moore's Clinical Anatomy is a great textbook, but probably more than you'll have time to read. I did just great with Essential Clinical Anatomy. Don't forget to stock up lots of colored pencils, crayons, or markers for class! ;)

2. BIOCHEM - Do not buy a book!!!

3. OPP - OK, I have the FOM. I read it a few times. It looks nice sitting on my shelf. It also makes a nice doorstop.

4. PHYSIO - I totally agree with Robz on the Constanzo text. It explains a lot of the concepts very clearly.

5. HISTO - Pushinepi is too old to know that Dr. Dribin has upgraded to DVD's :p This are absolutely the best study aid you will ever get! Buy buy buy!!!

6. MICRO/IMMUNO - There's waaaaay too much material to get through to even have time to think about reading a book. They are in the library if you ever need to look something up.

7. CLINICAL PRACTICUM - You do need the book for this class, and it's very good. Wait and buy your medical equipment at the sale the school puts on. I'd say about 1/3 of our class has the Littman Cardiology III stethescope. I think it's a great stethescope with excellent sound quality. As far as other equipment, don't go crazy. The PanOptic opthalmoscope is really cool, but probably overkill for a medical student. All you really need are the basics, as most equipment will be "on the wall" during your rotations.

8. SUMMER READING - If you are looking for some great medical books to read before starting, here are some of my favorites.
Complications by Atul Gawande (a surgeon's notes on the imperfect science of medicine; one of the best and most interesting medical books you will ever read)
House of God by Samuel Shem (the standard book for pre-meds)
The D.O.'s by Norman Gevitz (a little more weighty than the other books, but it will give you excellent insight into the profession you are about to enter)

Above all, don't think about all this stuff and just ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!!!! :cool:

immuno...

i do think that Microbiology made ridiculously simple (or easy or watever it was) is really awesome for this course. without it, i would have failed bacT and virology. stupid pictures stick in your head and help you learn.

Guys,
Do you have any suggestions for Blood Pressure device.

Thanks,
Mandar

some classmates bought theirs from allheart.com (regular cheapy ones). i got one when welch allyn came by. it was a little more expensive, not a whole lot more tho.

Fin-Nor said:
immuno...

i do think that Microbiology made ridiculously simple (or easy or watever it was) is really awesome for this course. without it, i would have failed bacT and virology. stupid pictures stick in your head and help you learn.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I did really well on Virology/Bac-T/Parasites with this book. I have it completely highlighted in 5 different colors including the charts given to you in there as well.

Sigh.....I forgot how much I loved having time to myself and not studying....

Hey guys quick question to you first year veterans...

I just got my financial aid award letter today and it doesnt come close to covering what they list as the cost of attendance for year one (by like 8 - 10 thou). Now im not sure why it felt so short but what can you recommend I do? Help me cause Im already broke.

THANKS

OmedDOC said:
Hey guys quick question to you first year veterans...

I just got my financial aid award letter today and it doesnt come close to covering what they list as the cost of attendance for year one (by like 8 - 10 thou). Now im not sure why it felt so short but what can you recommend I do? Help me cause Im already broke.

THANKS

Does that include private loans or just federal. This is also a great question for the fin aid office :D

iliacus said:
Does that include private loans or just federal. This is also a great question for the fin aid office :D

Just federal loans,... they didnt offer anything else. Do I need to find out about private loans separately??

OmedDOC said:
Just federal loans,... they didnt offer anything else. Do I need to find out about private loans separately??

Most single students have to take out private loans to make up the difference. There's a number of different institutions we go through:

access
salliemae
THE

Go to schools financial aid website and do some research to find the best rates. Subtract the federal you were awarded from the total cost of attendance (including cost of living) and that's the max you can borrow. Good luck :)

iliacus said:
Most single students have to take out private loans to make up the difference. There's a number of different institutions we go through:

access
salliemae
THE

Go to schools financial aid website and do some research to find the best rates. Subtract the federal you were awarded from the total cost of attendance (including cost of living) and that's the max you can borrow. Good luck :)

Iliacus has it right and I posted a little about it in either here or the other NSU 2009 thread.

You need private loans for the difference...especially for out of staters. I ended up taking 14K or so extra last year through access group.

Did you guy's have to apply for those outside the Finaid office, do they do it for you, or should I just get on access's website and get my own?

Doc 2b said:
Did you guy's have to apply for those outside the Finaid office, do they do it for you, or should I just get on access's website and get my own?

Just get on there and apply. It's easy....Just do it man!