NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know a rough estimate of the anticipated tuition for 2012-2013 or when this info would be available?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know a rough estimate of the anticipated tuition for 2012-2013 or when this info would be available?

I asked the dean during my interview if he anticipated any major (>10%) tuition hikes in the next 4 years and he said if anything they would be minimal (if I remember correctly). It should be between $38-40k for IS and $45-47k for OOS. Hope this helps, if not e-mail Anastasia.

Thank you for the information.

I asked the dean during my interview if he anticipated any major (>10%) tuition hikes in the next 4 years and he said if anything they would be minimal (if I remember correctly). It should be between $38-40k for IS and $45-47k for OOS. Hope this helps, if not e-mail Anastasia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any email regarding signing up for classes or anything? I paid my first deposit and all that and now am just sitting here waiting. It definitely feels like I should be doing something. If anyone gets an email regarding what to do next definitely post and let us all know.

Will be going to Nova in the fall. Interviewed September 15 and was accepted September 28th. Coming from Detroit and going to look for a place the weekend after the Superbowl. If anyone has heard anything on places to live, I would appreciate the info.

Has anyone received any email regarding signing up for classes or anything? I paid my first deposit and all that and now am just sitting here waiting. It definitely feels like I should be doing something. If anyone gets an email regarding what to do next definitely post and let us all know.

Will be going to Nova in the fall. Interviewed September 15 and was accepted September 28th. Coming from Detroit and going to look for a place the weekend after the Superbowl. If anyone has heard anything on places to live, I would appreciate the info.

No, nothing yet on registering for classes :( but join the facebook page if you haven't yet done so, there's a lot of info on places to live & a bunch of other stuff. A lot of the M1's have been super helpful

https://www.facebook.com/groups/149336538506187/

For those that have attended their interviews at NOVA, which of the hotels recommend by the school would you recommend based on your own experience? I am on a budget of $100 or less and looking for a clean place with shuttle service to/from the airport and the NOVA campus.
Thanks!

Hey everyone, just called today to verify that all my supporting documents had been received, and instead was pleasantly surprised by an interview invitation! Apparently I am not the only applicant that has been invited and not received the official interview invitation, so if you haven't heard anything it might be worth it to give them a call!

Only date available at the moment is February 21st, but the representative that I spoke with said that more dates should be opening up in the near future.

Soo excited!!

Hey everyone, just called today to verify that all my supporting documents had been received, and instead was pleasantly surprised by an interview invitation! Apparently I am not the only applicant that has been invited and not received the official interview invitation, so if you haven't heard anything it might be worth it to give them a call!

Only date available at the moment is February 21st, but the representative that I spoke with said that more dates should be opening up in the near future.

Soo excited!!

Congrats AnthroDoc! Maybe the same will happen to me! :xf:
When were you complete?
Thanks for letting us know more dates will be opening.

Thank you :D I'm not sure when I was complete, but I submitted my app late November.

Hope you get one soon! :luck:

Congrats AnthroDoc! Maybe the same will happen to me! :xf:
When were you complete?
Thanks for letting us know more dates will be opening.

The Holiday Inn is the best option, although it is a little bit more than 100 because it is during tourist season. I paid ~109. If you call them, they have a deal for NSU interviews (you need to bring a copy of your interview invitation email though). They do have a shuttle service to the airport, although people from my interview day had to take cabs to NSU.

Thank you!

Does anyone know the status of lecture recordings at NSU? I know some schools provide a live feed (video and audio) of every lecture. Thanks!

Does anyone know the status of lecture recordings at NSU? I know some schools provide a live feed (video and audio) of every lecture. Thanks!

At my interview, the students said that there is no video feed or plan to have one. For audio, you can ask your professor if it's alright for you to record the lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think I remember them mentioning that they record all of second year lectures, but first year they do not because the professors do not allow it. It didn't really make sense and they tried to clarify it by saying that the professors talk about new research during lectures and they don't want that to get out.

Soo excited!!

Which number did you call? 262-1101? They told me they cant say anything over the phone =/

Yup that's the number I called. I called just to make sure that I wasn't missing anything and they said "yes everything is in, official transcripts need to be sent only after acceptance and before matriculation. Oh wait, it looks like you have been invited to interview. Congratulations!" Or something to that extent. Anyways, it was a nice surprise. I wonder why they said that they can't say anything over the phone.... weird.

Which number did you call? 262-1101? They told me they cant say anything over the phone =/

I saw the email saying I was invited to the March 2 Experience Day. This school was definitely a top choice for me because I lived on the same street as it since December 1993. I also know so many people (family, friends, doctors) who went there and loved it. (I also use their library very often when I am home from college.)
As this is my first interview, I am anxious. (Stats: 3.6 cGPA, 3.2(? may be higher) sGPA, 28Q MCAT (8 in physics, 10 in verbal and bio), native to the town/city (NSU is in the town of Davie, where I live)). I would greatly appreciate any interview tips and stores if your Experience Day experience. (I already plan on arriving at least 30 minutes early, even though I live up the street, just because I cannot remember if I have ever been to the area of campus where the specific building is. Is the interview meeting place easier to access from SW 30th street, Nova Drive, Pine Island Road, or University Drive??)
On a side note, I also read on here (in an earlier post) that the 2009 class had 90% acceptance rate from those who interviewed, so I was curious if the stats were similar now. I also read a previous post from an applicant who heard in an interview question that they were already accepted. Is that even possible during interviews?

I immensely appreciate any comments I receive, and I wish everyone the bes tof luck with interviews (and congrats to those already accepted)!!

First of all, dont be anxious. The interview was very laid back and they did not ask questions to see how you would react, rather the questions were more based on getting to know you better and clarifying your application. TIPS and questions are listed under reference materials and interview feedback. I would use that and their website to prepare for the interview.

Second, the best way to get there would be from University. The building is the Terry Building which is the first building on the left when you turn onto Nova Southeastern Rd. from University. Good luck and dont forget to print out the parking pass that was provided in a link in the document provided for the interview.

I saw the email saying I was invited to the March 2 Experience Day. This school was definitely a top choice for me because I lived on the same street as it since December 1993. I also know so many people (family, friends, doctors) who went there and loved it. (I also use their library very often when I am home from college.)
As this is my first interview, I am anxious. (Stats: 3.6 cGPA, 3.2(? may be higher) sGPA, 28Q MCAT (8 in physics, 10 in verbal and bio), native to the town/city (NSU is in the town of Davie, where I live)). I would greatly appreciate any interview tips and stores if your Experience Day experience. (I already plan on arriving at least 30 minutes early, even though I live up the street, just because I cannot remember if I have ever been to the area of campus where the specific building is. Is the interview meeting place easier to access from SW 30th street, Nova Drive, Pine Island Road, or University Drive??)
On a side note, I also read on here (in an earlier post) that the 2009 class had 90% acceptance rate from those who interviewed, so I was curious if the stats were similar now. I also read a previous post from an applicant who heard in an interview question that they were already accepted. Is that even possible during interviews?

I immensely appreciate any comments I receive, and I wish everyone the bes tof luck with interviews (and congrats to those already accepted)!!

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

Aw Thank you so much!! Happy Valentines!!

Thank you!

Also, please let me know if you or anyone you know can provide me with more information on medical school experience day (the non-traditional interview), as I cannot find any information on the school website. I received the schedule already, and there is no mention of an interview, so I am assuming that the "interviewing" comes from interactions with med school students, other interviewees, and faculty members. Is this correct?

I'm am looking at the interview schedule now and there is a time slot for interviews with NSU-COM Faculty and campus tour from 10AM-Noon.

Good luck on your interview! I think the most important thing to remember during your interview is just be yourself. You'll do great.

Last edited:
First Post on SDN!! Im sure I'll be a regular now.

Does anyone know know how NSU-COM notifies the applicants about acceptance? I am waiting to hear back from them after the interview and they said it would occur no later than this upcoming friday Feb 24.

Thanks

Does anyone know know how NSU-COM notifies the applicants about acceptance? I am waiting to hear back from them after the interview and they said it would occur no later than this upcoming friday Feb 24.

Thanks

Hello, I received an email on the date they said they would let us know.
Not much longer left for you to wait :)

Thanks

Got mine on a Tuesday, and interviewed on a Tuesday. So ~2 Weeks. Good luck!

Got mine on a Tuesday, and interviewed on a Tuesday. So ~2 Weeks. Good luck!

do you know if they send rejections for secondaries at the end?

I was told I'd be notified of a decision on my secondary by wed....from what I've read, it seems like those who have been notified of a decision received interview invites. I hope today is the day I found out whether it is good or bad news. Not knowing is giving me a headache.

do you know if they send rejections for secondaries at the end?

I was told I'd be notified of a decision on my secondary by wed....from what I've read, it seems like those who have been notified of a decision received interview invites. I hope today is the day I found out whether it is good or bad news. Not knowing is giving me a headache.

How do you know you will hear on Wednesday?

any idea on how many spots have been filled or when the last interview dates are? i remember someone getting an interview in april last year but not sure if that will be true this year. thanks!

I do not get on SDN much anymore. But I can answer this question although it was asked over a week ago.

First year of classes (besides Osteopathic Principles and Foundations and Applications of Clinical Reasoning) is taught by the College of Medical Sciences. They have been reluctant to record their lectures due to copyright laws. Many of the professors use images/graphs/charts from books and have feared being sued over copyright infringement. However, NSU has recently bought "ebooks" for all students so that the professors now have the authorization to record lectures. But, this is a long drawn out process as the College of Medical Sciences and the College of Medicine (two separate colleges) both have their legal attorneys working on this, and we all know how lawyers can draw things out.

Second year classes are all taught by the college of medicine (vs first year classes being taught by college of medical sciences). All lectures are recorded online in video with audio. A very select few of the professors during second year who are full time staff at NSU elect not to record their lectures, but NSU is working with them on this right now as well. That being said, 95% of your lectures during 2nd year will be recorded as of right now. By the time you are in class, it will most likely have all classes recorded.

Anymore questions that I can help you with, shoot me a PM.

Anyone know how late NSU-COM interviews? I've been completed since late November and still no word.

Still no word back for me. Double checked and saw that my file was complete 9/7/11. From what I was told the last time I called, interview invites are only extended through the month of February, so we should all be hearing back shortly, one way or the other. Also, I asked if we would be contacted either way and was told "yes."

Anything??

Were you told that interview results would come no later than today? If so it is the same case for me. I interviewed on Feb 7. What about you?

Last edited:
No...that is not the case. I called again on Friday to get a status update and was told my application is still under review. Furthermore, I was told that interviews will continue through March and into early April (I had heard last time that it was through February and into early March), so I guess either more people declined than they expected or they didn't get the type of quality out of the interviews as they expected (or some other reason, I guess?). Not sure if NSU will interview people strictly for the wait list, but the receptionist I spoke with made it sound as though there are still slots available for both interviews and acceptances. Good luck to all.

No...that is not the case. I called again on Friday to get a status update and was told my application is still under review. Furthermore, I was told that interviews will continue through March and into early April (I had heard last time that it was through February and into early March), so I guess either more people declined than they expected or they didn't get the type of quality out of the interviews as they expected (or some other reason, I guess?). Not sure if NSU will interview people strictly for the wait list, but the receptionist I spoke with made it sound as though there are still slots available for both interviews and acceptances. Good luck to all.

Heard that there are slots available. The AdCom will not sit this month but will do so in March in order to process the Feb/Mar interviews.

Yup, this is what we were told at my interview last week. We were also told within one month so this Feb/Mar review must be toward the later part of the month.

Heard that there are slots available. The AdCom will not sit this month but will do so in March in order to process the Feb/Mar interviews.

Does anyone know anything about the 'alternate list'? Do they review this list in May/June only or have some ppl got accepted off of it earlier than that? And what can I send in to get accepted from the alternate list?

For those that have attended their interviews at NOVA, which of the hotels recommend by the school would you recommend based on your own experience? I am on a budget of $100 or less and looking for a clean place with shuttle service to/from the airport and the NOVA campus.
Thanks!
I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott - Plantation. Call and mention that you want the Nova rate, which is $89. They also have free shuttles to and from the airport and campus. No free breakfast, though.

Hoping to hear back soon for an interview! Would really like to go to this school submitted application kind of late...any ideas how many spots are still available?

Shoot! I emailed Anastasia today with updates to my application, and got a reply that she's out of the office until March 12th :eek:

Does anybody have another person/email address that they've sent updates to? I want them to get this information before they decide to interview me!!!

Shoot! I emailed Anastasia today with updates to my application, and got a reply that she's out of the office until March 12th :eek:

Does anybody have another person/email address that they've sent updates to? I want them to get this information before they decide to interview me!!!

I think Linda Ferris may also handle updates. [email protected] She has emailed me a few times after I was accepted. You could always try calling the admissions office to see who you could email.

I think Linda Ferris may also handle updates. [email protected] She has emailed me a few times after I was accepted. You could always try calling the admissions office to see who you could email.

Unfortunately, I did call admissions and was directed to email Anastasia :shrug: But I'll try this one - thank you :)

Yikes....will they put a hold on sending out invites 'till she gets back?

:eek: