NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My theory on why nova takes so long is that they have too many applicants that apply with 30-2+ mcats.. And figure they use nova as a safety school since they want the beach and palm trees. Naturally they get in and they hold their acceptance waiting for other schools. That's why there is this lag. On top of the fact that yes they have 2 thousand applicants for 250 spots. Less than 28 mcats are put at the bottom of the pile. Many people in my class were accepted in the spring a few right before school started bc of people holding on to their acceptance/paying the first deposit. That I think would explain the spread of people with 24 mcats-38mcats in my class now. Just my thoughts. I would just keep calling and bothering them.. Tell them it's your 1st choice.

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!

Interviewed on 12/1

28 MCAT, 3.69 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, OOS

SO EXCITED! Good luck everyone, stay positive :thumbup:

Last edited:
I hope since I go to their undergrad I have better shot of acceptance when I apply. My current sGPA is a 3.7 so hopefully that will go much higher in the 2 years I have left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as well!!! Interviewed Nov. 10th, MCAT 29M (10PS, 7VR, 12BS), cGPA 3.58, sGPA 3.75, Florida resident. I feel so relieved!!! I hope everyone that has interviewed or attended experience day gets the good news soon. Good luck!

Accepted as well but most likely not attending. Interviewed 11/17

27S, 3.54 overall, 3.50 science, OOS, Master's Degree, EMT, Research

Still waiting! ugh....

29R 3.4cumulative 3.3 science OOS research, volunteering, nonprofit work, etc ><

Does anyone know Anastasia's phone number from the admissions office??

Accepted today as well! I was put on the alternate list after the Nov 4. Experience Day

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys send updates in after being placed on the alternate list?

Yes, I periodically emailed Anastasia, the admissions counselor. And just 1 week prior to being accepted, I sent them a letter of intent.

I was also accepted yesterday and I also went to the experience day on November 4th. Yesterday was also my birthday so that was the best birthday present I've ever received!!!

Anyone from the 12/9 experience day hear anything yet?

12/9 experience day accepted today. Called with a LOR question and found out. [32MCAT, 3.5 ug, 3.7 postbac sci., OOS, research + significant amount of ECs/volunteerism]

went to 12/9 experience day and didnt hear back this week.... guessing that means waitlisted

went to 12/9 experience day and didnt hear back this week.... guessing that means waitlisted

Yep same here. Tried calling the admissions office today, and they said a decision had been made but only Anastasia could tell me it over the phone. Unfortunately Anastasia went on holiday break yesterday.

ugh, I loved this school but had a really bad dealing with the admissions office. I wanted to make sure my pre-reqs were all straightened out and in their system before I pay the deposit (since I'm an international student, our grading system is a bit different). After calling and e-mailing 3-4 times, getting no responses, I didn't pay. Of course then I received a call saying that my seat is gone (no pity on me whatsoever). I was pissed.

At least I have acceptances to a few other schools, but still, I was considering NSU in my top 3 choices. I just find it funny that they can just take away something so significant (a med school seat) from us for petty cash when they were clearly getting my emails and not responding.

Think this is an issue worth pursuing a bit further? All help/ideas are appreciated.

Accepted 12/8 interview, acceptance letter in an xmas present addressed to my whole family. Who else from 12/8 got in? My name is Aaron and I was in in the charcoal suit who had to wait till after noon to interview :)

Sidenote: 29 mcat 3.75 gpa 3.89s

i remember that! I was that asian kid right before you, sorry i took so long but we both got in anyway haha

Wow, you're right! That's exactly like asking why is the sky blue.

FSU - 18K
UCF - 21K
FAU - 25K
USF - 27K
FIU - 28K
LECOM-B - 29K
UF - 30K
UM - 30K
Average for FL schools (NSU not included) - 26K
Average for FL schools (NSU included) - 27K
NSU - 38K

I personally wouldn't call that comparable, but that's just my opinion. LECOM is also still a business, and I would consider their tuition to be comparable to the average in FL. So I just don't get what the deal is with NSU.

Why the indignation. If you want to save money then go to an MD school in Florida. They're not lowering the prices simply because you've decided that they're too expensive. If I had the option of attending an in-state MD school I would've gone there.

And the LECOM vs NSU price difference...you get what you pay for.

ugh, I loved this school but had a really bad dealing with the admissions office. I wanted to make sure my pre-reqs were all straightened out and in their system before I pay the deposit (since I'm an international student, our grading system is a bit different). After calling and e-mailing 3-4 times, getting no responses, I didn't pay. Of course then I received a call saying that my seat is gone (no pity on me whatsoever). I was pissed.

At least I have acceptances to a few other schools, but still, I was considering NSU in my top 3 choices. I just find it funny that they can just take away something so significant (a med school seat) from us for petty cash when they were clearly getting my emails and not responding.

Think this is an issue worth pursuing a bit further? All help/ideas are appreciated.

It depends on where the other admissions are.

And I'm certainly not surprised with your experience with the admissions office. It is by far the worse run department in the entire school by ten fold. They lose a lot of quality applicants due to their utter incompetence.

Congrats!!!! This is the best Christmas present I've ever gotten too! See you in August :)

Agreed! I was on the west coast when I found out, just got home this morning and am trying SO hard to keep it a secret from my family til Christmas morning haha. I had to tell a couple friends though. Congrats to y'all too!

(p.s.- I was the girl who had DO/DMD program questions, from NYC)

Don't assume you're wait listed. If I hadn't called to ask why they were saying they didn't have my letters of recommendation (which they did have after all) I wouldn't have known I got in til next week. When I talked to Anastasia she did say she was able to get some out before the holiday weekend but there were definitely still 12/9 applications in the Dean's office (mine included) that had to be signed off on and those applicants wouldn't be called or e-mailed until next week. I didn't get an e-mail and I'm pretty sure the lady on the phone thought I already knew I was accepted when she mentioned it in answering my LOR question, or else that was the most nonchalant way to tell someone that they just got into med school ever (but I'll take it... my friend was standing next to me and laughed because I literally had to say, "Wait, I'm sorry, did you just say I'm accepted?" haha). Keep your chin up! Good luck! :luck:

Agreed! I was on the west coast when I found out, just got home this morning and am trying SO hard to keep it a secret from my family til Christmas morning haha. I had to tell a couple friends though. Congrats to y'all too!

I honestly don't understand the draw of the program. You are in school for an abnormally long period of time for two distinct professions. Unless you're shooting for oral surgeon or Doctors without Borders type of work then it's two extra years of unnecessary work.

But I do know people who are in the program and like it. More power to them, but I'd rather not be in school for a million years.

**After putting up that last post I checked my Webstar quick and noticed there's now a place at the bottom under Requirements for "First Deposit" and "Second Deposit." Those two fields definitely weren't there yesterday, and like I said I'm in the "no e-mail" group from 12/9 but happened to find out I was accepted kinda by accident over the phone, so there's likely more people who have been accepted but don't know it yet. Try logging into Webstar and see if the "Deposit" fields are there for you too. Again, good luck! :xf: **

I honestly don't understand the draw of the program. You are in school for an abnormally long period of time for two distinct professions. Unless you're shooting for oral surgeon or Doctors without Borders type of work then it's two extra years of unnecessary work.

But I do know people who are in the program and like it. More power to them, but I'd rather not be in school for a million years.

Sounds about right. I'm looking at oral and maxiollofacial pediatric surgery with a specific interest in spending time abroad with Operation Smile type programs. But believe me I'm weighing the pros and cons heavily. Sorta figuring I have to make some major "family life" decisions up front before I could make that kind of commitment. Any hesitation and I'll be sticking to the straight and narrow DO program.

Congrats! Did u receive an email?
No email for me. I just logged into WebStar and saw the First and Second deposit slots and took it as an acceptance. Then I called to make sure :) I had to call 4 times to get an answer. The main NSU phone line did not help. Call the number at the end of Anastacia's voicemail recording! :)
A really cool guy answered and was able to tell me...and to expect a letter in the mail with more info etc....

No email for me. I just logged into WebStar and saw the First and Second deposit slots and took it as an acceptance. Then I called to make sure :) I had to call 4 times to get an answer. The main NSU phone line did not help. Call the number at the end of Anastacia's voicemail recording! :)
A really cool guy answered and was able to tell me...and to expect a letter in the mail with more info etc....

Hmm, the first and second deposit slots on my webstar have appeared as well. And I tried calling the admissions office to ask if a decision had been made on my application, but the lady told me that she couldn't give that info to me and that I had to ask Anastasia. I wonder if those slots mean acceptance? Guess I'll have to wait until next week, or first week of January...

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I remember you and I'm glad you got in! Hoping I can join you there in august.

According to the website, the school is on winter break until jan 2. Does anyone know if this will apply to the admissions office getting acceptances out?

Don't assume you're wait listed. If I hadn't called to ask why they were saying they didn't have my letters of recommendation (which they did have after all) I wouldn't have known I got in til next week. When I talked to Anastasia she did say she was able to get some out before the holiday weekend but there were definitely still 12/9 applications in the Dean's office (mine included) that had to be signed off on and those applicants wouldn't be called or e-mailed until next week. I didn't get an e-mail and I'm pretty sure the lady on the phone thought I already knew I was accepted when she mentioned it in answering my LOR question, or else that was the most nonchalant way to tell someone that they just got into med school ever (but I'll take it... my friend was standing next to me and laughed because I literally had to say, "Wait, I'm sorry, did you just say I'm accepted?" haha). Keep your chin up! Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Hmm, the first and second deposit slots on my webstar have appeared as well. And I tried calling the admissions office to ask if a decision had been made on my application, but the lady told me that she couldn't give that info to me and that I had to ask Anastasia. I wonder if those slots mean acceptance? Guess I'll have to wait until next week, or first week of January...

I have the first and second deposit slips as well. I must have called after you did because the admissions office was extremely tit lipped about my decision. Hopefully I will hear back good news to make my new years!

Hey congratulations to everybody who got in! To those who didn't, I know it's hard not to get discouraged, but as stated earlier - the admissions office admittedly holds a lot of applications waiting for people to commit. This is just a busy time for all schools.

January 14th is the deadline for the 1st deposit so many of you will be getting responses shortly after that date.

To those who are in, join the thread and facebook page!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11912664#post11912664

Happy Holidays!

It depends on where the other admissions are.

And I'm certainly not surprised with your experience with the admissions office. It is by far the worse run department in the entire school by ten fold. They lose a lot of quality applicants due to their utter incompetence.

Hey, glad it's not just me who thinks they have an odd way of dealing with matters. Other acceptances are WesternU (Pomona), MSUCOM, AZCOM.

withdrew my acceptance today. I loved this school and enjoyed my experience on interview day but I am looking towards other options. Hope my seat goes to one of you!!!!

withdrew my acceptance today. I loved this school and enjoyed my experience on interview day but I am looking towards other options. Hope my seat goes to one of you!!!!

You must be out of your mind!!!!
lol jk good luck!

Does anyone know where to find the NSU COM academic calendar? I'd love to take a look at the 2012-2013 calendar, but I'll even take a 2011-2012 to get some idea of the schedule. Thanks!! Happy New Year!

What school did you pick if you dont mind me asking?