NSU-COM Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medstart is a complete waste of time. If you were planning on moving to florida early just for medstart, I would advise against it. Move down during whatever timeframe suits you best, though coming here in time for the white coat ceremony would probably be a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

To clarify, there are Medstart courses and a Medstart week. Medstart courses are courses offered by NSUCOM set to give you a brief overview of certain topics before medical school starts. Due to it being a new offering, many students during the 07/08 year did not find them helpful. Medstart week 07-08 was a week before orientation where students attended different seminar courses and attended academic society events at night. I believe they are combining Medstart and Orientation into one single week. You will follow a schedule based on your academic society placement (hopefully soon to come).

Medstart 07-08 was supposed to be required, but some students opted to go without it. I agree with my fellow classmate above that you should do what is the best for your situation. Orientation this year should be combined with "medstart." They are condensing the program for incoming M1s and weeding out the unneeded seminar sessions. I will speculate and say that is required for incoming M1s. At the very least, it is an oppurtunity to get to know your classmates before school actually begins.

Congrats again to everyone who got accepted and I hope to meet many of you in August.

HOD

Hi.. I keep reading about "MedStart", so my question is, what is "MedStart" and how is it different from the regular medical school program? Do you get to choose whether or not your in medstart, or do you get placed in it? Thanks..

any wait-listers get accepted recently?

is there another "deadline" we are waiting for, for more spots to open up?? or are we waiting for kids that are accepted to withdraw their acceptances and go somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted for 2009 and waitlisted for 2008. I'll take that.
Although 2008 would be great.:D

Congrats spyca. I would kill for acceptance to 2009, or any spot in the next decade lol.

Thanks guys. Is it too early for a class of 2013 thread? j/k ;)

In case fellow wait-listers are curious, I had not heard anything since my interview on 2/18. I got a letter yesterday that said that I was wait-listed for 2008. In the second paragraph it said that I have the option to reserve a seat for 2009 with a deposit of $1250, and that this option was only given to select candidates.

I'm guessing that they ran out of seats for 2008 and wanted to send something to break the post interview silence. Hopefully some more seats open up for us for this year.

Thanks guys. Is it too early for a class of 2013 thread? j/k ;)

In case fellow wait-listers are curious, I had not heard anything since my interview on 2/18. I got a letter that said that I was wait-listed for 2008. In the second paragraph it said that I have the option to reserve a seat for 2009 with a deposit of $1250, and that this option was only given to select candidates.

I'm guessing that the ran out of seats for 2008 and wanted to send something to break the post interview silence. Hopefully some more seats open up for us for this year.
The class is pretty full, but the adcom is expecting a few seats to open up between now and start of school. It is great to secure a seat for next year, but for me, waiting another year would make me pull my hair out...If you choose that option, please keep active and take the year off to make pocket change, travel, and enjoy life!

I know this question has been asked a lot, but I am way too lazy to search this thread...how many people get accepted after receiving the webstar/pin letter in the mail..i was waitlisted in February and haven't heard anything from the school since then. So I am just curious why they would send me this letter at the end of april??...thanks

If I remember correctly, you need your webstar pin to check your application status as you're applying, so I do not believe it is indicative of acceptance. I do not know if anyone on these forums have those statistics for you. I believe the same incident happened last year too.

I know this question has been asked a lot, but I am way too lazy to search this thread...how many people get accepted after receiving the webstar/pin letter in the mail..i was waitlisted in February and haven't heard anything from the school since then. So I am just curious why they would send me this letter at the end of april??...thanks

To answer some of the questions that have been posed:

1) There will be no problem getting into graduate housing before orientation/medstart starts. Move in is August 1st, orientation/medstart starts August 4th.

2) Medstart and Orientation are one and the same this year.

3) There are NO Medstart courses this year.

4) The Medstart/Orientation schedule is up on the website.

5) Academic societies assignments will be distributed next week via email. Your EMPs will be notifying you thereafter.

6) Fin. aid and Registration will occur June 1st. There will be an orientation webct module that will have HPIAA, Myers-Brigg, Student Handbook and possibly OSHA within the course. You will get this info at the time of registration.

How'd you manage that? did they offer that to you or did you ask? I'd like to be accepted for 09 as well...

I was informed in the letter that NSU sent after my interview. It basically told me that I am wait-listed and that I have the option to reserve a seat for next year with a deposit due in September. It also said that reserving my seat for next year would not affect my chances for this year. I a really glad that this is an option for me and was happy to receive it. Although, I'm still hoping to get off one of the three wait-lists that I am on for this year. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone from the wait-list get accepted in the last few weeks? i'm still on the wait-list though i haven't call the adcom offfice in a while- might do that. any news anybody?

anyone from the wait-list get accepted in the last few weeks? i'm still on the wait-list though i haven't call the adcom offfice in a while- might do that. any news anybody?
Someone got accepted today who interviewed mid-February.

As of 9:21 AM this beautiful humid Friday mornin I am happy to report to you all that I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also interviewed mid-feburary (Feb. 18th). There is hope!

As of 9:21 AM this beautiful humid Friday mornin I am happy to report to you all that I GOT OFF THE WAITLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get off SDN and party.

WAHOO! Congratulations :)

Any more news since then? Still not heard anything... can you guys recommend anyone that I can get in touch with at the admissions office because the last time I called (about a month ago) they said that Rachel was on maternity leave. No one else can give out admissions information at the office and I am currently not in the US so no access to my phone or mail.

Any more news since then? Still not heard anything... can you guys recommend anyone that I can get in touch with at the admissions office because the last time I called (about a month ago) they said that Rachel was on maternity leave. No one else can give out admissions information at the office and I am currently not in the US so no access to my phone or mail.
E-mail works.

considering how bad the admissions office is in getting their stuff together, i don't think e-mail will help either... i def kno how frustrating it can be to get information from them

considering how bad the admissions office is in getting their stuff together, i don't think e-mail will help either... i def kno how frustrating it can be to get information from them
Well, e-mail may be his only option at this point.

i emailed rachel a few days ago and she got back to me yesterday. basically, no news on the wait-list.

don't worry for now. she'll get back to you eventually through email.