NSU-COM Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. I'm sure Dr. Silvagni is getting inundated with letters, but I'd find it a little disheartening if he does actually read our letters, particularly after all the great things we've heard about him. (My interview group did not get to meet him.)

I'm not trying to imply that he doesn't feel like reading our letters or doesn't care what we have to say, but I mean I think that most applicants write atleast one LOI and I don't know if he would logically have time to read all of that stuff and run the school and do all the other things he has to do. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not trying to imply that he doesn't feel like reading our letters or doesn't care what we have to say, but I mean I think that most applicants write atleast one LOI and I don't know if he would logically have time to read all of that stuff and run the school and do all the other things he has to do. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I was speaking with a 'glass half empty' tone. Sorry! I'm sure he's reading all the letters he can handle.

Who is the director of admissions as Nova? Is it Rachel or is there someone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'm sure Dr. Silvagni is getting inundated with letters, but I'd find it a little disheartening if he does actually read our letters, particularly after all the great things we've heard about him. (My interview group did not get to meet him.)

I didn't get to meet him, and also sent in an LOI. Hoping somehow he reads it, but who knows? Anyone else get a call from Rachel regarding whether or not they are still interested?

Remember to send it to Rachel by email in addition to Dr. Silvagni. You want to make sure your LOI has the best chance of being read and considered.

Anyone else still silent?

by the way what's the deposit deadline for those who were most recently accepted? any news anybody???

Remember to send it to Rachel by email in addition to Dr. Silvagni. You want to make sure your LOI has the best chance of being read and considered.

Huh. I didn't even think of that.

by the way what's the deposit deadline for those who were most recently accepted? any news anybody???

I don't know, I'll let you know when I get my packet, which Rachel said was going to be sent this week.

I'll try. :luck:

I'll share a little of what I did that may or may not have made a difference in regards to a decision on my file. At time of interview I did not have a DO LOR on file. After a few weeks of not hearing anything, I had one sent.
After a week or so more of silence, a DO I know that graduated NSU called admissions on my behalf. The goal was to get admissions to keep looking at my file. If you're not taking some sort of action right now, i.e. LOI, you have to think your application is just sitting there waiting to be reviewed. My advice is to be proactive and try to make something happen. Good luck!
mind sharing stats?

i emailed him he had racheal call me the next day

mind sharing stats?

Sure. For what it's worth....

3.41 sci. GPA (UF)
Took MCAT twice.
1st attempt: 28 (PS:8 V:10 BS:10)
2nd attempt 32 (PS:11 V:11 BS:10)

Extracurriculars:
Worked as a reasearch assistant for Shands Dept. of Radiology for 5 mos.
My dad is an MD, so ~24 years of shadowing. That's kind of a joke, but it's true and I'm sure it counts for something.
I also shadowed the chief of Neurosurgery at Shands... saw a few surgeries, attended morning meetings, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

3.41 sci. GPA (UF)
Took MCAT twice.

Extracurriculars:
My dad is an MD, so ~24 years of shadowing. That's kind of a joke, but it's true and I'm sure it counts for something.
I also shadowed the chief of Neurosurgery at Shands... saw a few surgeries, attended morning meetings, etc.

did you apply to UF? I'm sure you woulda been somewhat competitive there... congrats again

did you apply to UF? I'm sure you woulda been somewhat competitive there... congrats again

I applied last year and didn't even get an interview....and my dad graduated from UF....3 times!!!!(undergrad, MD, residency...and he was on staff for a few years. Still no love from adcom. :( ) My GPA is low for UF and my MCAT is their avg. Also, I had very little vlounteering, no published papers, etc. Med school was somewhat of a late decision for me. Heck, I didn't even get an interview from FSU and they're the easiest MD program in the state to get into. Anyways, I was impressed with what I saw at NSU and am happy with my decision to go there. Plus, my dad's DO colleagues tell me I'd fit in with DOs better anyway. :D

My packet just came a few mintues ago. It says that my deposit is due by May 2nd.

Good luck everybody:luck:

Good to have the actual letter in your hand huh.

Haha. Omg. You have no idea. I had a nightmare last night that I hadn't really been accepted and it had just been some jerk from college playing a prank on me.

:p

I should clarify that THIS (posted on APRIL 1st) was a JOKE. Note the disclaimer.

Um. Though I will say that the PM's wishing me luck at stewert were very sweet, thank you.

Listen, HOD and everyone...you guys have been really awesome, and it'd be great to attend school with you, but I've been totally swayed. I'm going to Stewart University (our website is down, but I'm linking to the cached page so you can see how awesome it is). I just sent my deposit via pay-pal! I really liked nova, but my phone interview with "Stewie U" went so well and I'm so impressed by them......can't pass an oppertunity like that up!
(Disclaimer: singinfifi is not ACTUALLY giving up her seat at Nova for a seat at stewart university)

Good luck with NSU evrybody! :luck:

lol.

Dean Silvagni is a very busy man. I wouldn't feel disheartened if he did not get a chance to read your letter personally. That is why he elects a diverse and competent adcom made up of faculty and professors. However, on the chance that he does, write the best LOI that you can.

A letter of intent is somewhat different than a letter of interest. I don't believe that the majority of medical students write a LOI. What you see on SDN is a small subset of applicants.

3.41 sci. GPA (UF)
Took MCAT twice.

Extracurriculars:

Wow that's realy good, thanks for sharing and congrats man

I just found out I was placed on the alternate list. I knew it was coming. :sleep:

Wait-listed. Rachel emailed to say that typically 10-20 spots open up each year by June.

Maybe you guys can help me, I looked on the website but i could not find a daily schedule (as far as what time classes are etc for Nova) do any of you guys know or know where I can find this???

any word with the alternate/waitlist movement? I'm guessing it's not going to be but another month or so to hear something. any comments..

any word with the alternate/waitlist movement? I'm guessing it's not going to be but another month or so to hear something. any comments..

A fellow Canes waitlister? Hows it going man. We probably won't hear anything until this last wave of deposits are paid..or not paid

yes I am a fellow Canes graduate of 2007. Anyhow, when are the last deposits due? Not for another month or so? thanks for the help

Hi I was just accepted recently, and am looking at living at the Cultural Living Center for my first year. I was wondering, how close this building is from the actuall lecture halls? Is it a comfortable walking distance? I wanted to know if I could get away with not having a car...

oh yeah, I was also told about shuttles running around school, so my question is, How often do these shuttles run? I don't want to be waiting around for 30 minutes or more waiting for a shuttle...thanks

Hi I was just accepted recently, and am looking at living at the Cultural Living Center for my first year. I was wondering, how close this building is from the actuall lecture halls? Is it a comfortable walking distance? I wanted to know if I could get away with not having a car...

when did you get accepted? would you mind posting stats?

I'm sure a couple of current students (ie: hemaoncdoc) will chime in soon to answer your question as I have no clue where the cultural Living Center is....

oh and congrats!

when did you get accepted? would you mind posting stats?

I'm sure a couple of current students (ie: hemaoncdoc) will chime in soon to answer your question as I have no clue where the cultural Living Center is....

oh and congrats!
Way to call me out Mike. I responded to LastDance's question on another forum.

It is walkable early in the morning, otherwise, it gets really hot and humid. There is a shuttle that takes you to and fro. You can get away with not having a car, but I have a feeling you'd become frustrated with arranging rides.

It is walkable early in the morning, otherwise, it gets really hot and humid. There is a shuttle that takes you to and fro. You can get away with not having a car, but I have a feeling you'd become frustrated with arranging rides.

Thanks HemaOncoDoc! Yeah I decided to live in the graduate dorms my first year, hopefully it works out....

oops :( :oops:

I interviewed 2/25. I received a letter dated April 2nd. The letter said that I am waitlisted, but I can claim a spot for the class starting in 2009.

A really long turn around time...

I've heard back from every other school I've been to in less than 2 weeks. As a result I've already accepted an offer from one of the other schools that accepted me.

Good luck NSU class of 2012! (and all the other years!)

May you attain success at LECOM-Bradenton. I am quite sure that you will be seeing your NSUCOM colleagues at SOMA, FOMA, SOIMA, etc events.

I interviewed 2/25. I received a letter dated April 2nd. The letter said that I am waitlisted, but I can claim a spot for the class starting in 2009.

A really long turn around time...

I've heard back from every other school I've been to in less than 2 weeks. As a result I've already accepted an offer from one of the other schools that accepted me.

Good luck NSU class of 2012! (and all the other years!)

Hi.. I keep reading about "MedStart", so my question is, what is "MedStart" and how is it different from the regular medical school program? Do you get to choose whether or not your in medstart, or do you get placed in it? Thanks..