NSU-COM vs. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rightfooted

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to come up with the pros and cons of NSU-COM vs. NYCOM outside of weather considerations. Can anyone help me out? Is one school better academically than other, etc.....?

Members don't see this ad.

Look up all the other threads and check out the "Pros and cons" thread in osteopathic thread. We've had a huge flood of these lately.

Both are excellent schools! You can't go wrong with either one. I would personally choose NYCOM just because I want to be closer to home. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to come up with the pros and cons of NSU-COM vs. NYCOM outside of weather considerations. Can anyone help me out? Is one school better academically than other, etc.....?

I'd personally go with NYCOM, but I don't have any evidence for the decision. It's more of a personal choice. Research each schools thread and see why people chose the one they did.

I got into both schools and I liked both, but took NYCOM because it's close to home and I want to practice here (ie hospital connections). Nova has a much bigger emphasis on primary care (there's a special rural rotation for it) so if that's your thing then you might like that. At NYCOM nobody really pushes you into primary care and in fact most people specialize.

NYCOM has recently totally revamped the curriculum and while 2011ers said they had it rough since they were the guinea pigs, I personally think that whatever they changed is working very well, at least for me. (as well as something as difficult as medical school could be that is).

You'll be fine at either school. Pick based on location, primary care vs. specialization, would you rather practice in NY or Fl and that's probably it. Nova facilities > NYCOM facilities except we have big windows in OMM lab so it's pretty.

Indeed both schools are great, and offer you a substantial education IF you take advantage of all the resources.

I have been very satisfied with my pre-clinical education so far (I finish my 3rd semester in 1 day), and I think in addition to the nuts and bolts.. NSU does a great job introducing you to many clinical aspects of medicine (IGC, CP, PCM, and of course even OPP) from your very first semester. That helps tremendously as we prepare to go out on rotations

Also, we have a great campus, a great gym with tons of programs and swimming, aerobics etc..,great libraries, and culturally we are just a drive down the freeway away from Miami. Good bookstores, coffee shops, malls, restaurants all up and down and surrounding our school.

Good luck!:thumbup::luck:

Personally, the tuition and constant, fairly significant, increases of the tuition at NYCOM scare the hell out of me. What does it start at, like 48k? Even the OOS tuition at NSU is 10k less a year and the housing costs probably aren't that much different between the two. A lot of schools are "primary care" oriented, but it seems to be more of a thing they say now. A rural care rotation isn't the end of it and you can actually practice in an urban area. I know someone that did an EM rotation at cook county for their rural rotation.

Just like many of these people are a little biased for their reasons, I am biased with mine. I'm not from the long island area, nor do I have any intention of practicing within New York and want to avoid even doing a residency there. (I'd like to have the ability to moonlight and I just haven't heard that many stellar things about a lot of the programs in that area). If you work hard and stay focused then you stand a strong shot at matching at whateve you want at both schools.

You can correct me if I'm wrong about tuition. I didn't look it up. I just know that they kept raising it a ton and I will pay around 28k for NSU as an instater.

Personally, the tuition and constant, fairly significant, increases of the tuition at NYCOM scare the hell out of me. What does it start at, like 48k? Even the OOS tuition at NSU is 10k less a year and the housing costs probably aren't that much different between the two. A lot of schools are "primary care" oriented, but it seems to be more of a thing they say now. A rural care rotation isn't the end of it and you can actually practice in an urban area. I know someone that did an EM rotation at cook county for their rural rotation.

Just like many of these people are a little biased for their reasons, I am biased with mine. I'm not from the long island area, nor do I have any intention of practicing within New York and want to avoid even doing a residency there. (I'd like to have the ability to moonlight and I just haven't heard that many stellar things about a lot of the programs in that area). If you work hard and stay focused then you stand a strong shot at matching at whateve you want at both schools.

You can correct me if I'm wrong about tuition. I didn't look it up. I just know that they kept raising it a ton and I will pay around 28k for NSU as an instater.

No, their tuition is not 48k; it's about 39k right now it seems. The 48k is found on their financial aid handout, in which they added in other costs and fees.

Also, NYCOM has no "OOS" tuition; their tuition is the same for either group.