NSU or NYCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sholly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear some pros and cons of both schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I am also debating between NYCOM and Nova. I am from NY but the school in Florida looks too awesome.

What school have you decided on? I need help cause I cant make up my mind!!!

I'm from the northeast and here NYCOM is regarded a lot higher than Nova. I always thought being a part of NY state's health care system is an asset down the road. I know someone who's gone to Nova and although the classroom experience was good, it was the two years of rotations they were disappointed in. In the end it's going to come down to what location you'll be happier in. They both offer great programs and there are fellowships at both. The hospitals you will be spending your time in and the people you will be able to work with there really do help shape what you want to do with your career and what kind of residency you wish to persue. From what my cousin has told me NSU is much more geared toward rural areas and small clinics than hospitals and specializing. If you want to chat about it, just leave me a message. Hope I helped a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Stitch62679, That was very helpful. I would like to chat. I am new in this forum and very confused. How do you chat privately and set up a buddylist?

I wish the search funtion worked so you guy could find the old threads about NSUCOM vs. NYCOM.

Each has its pros and cons depending on the student. I like the rotation sites at NSUCOM but I have to say I think that NYCOM probably has some of the best rotations sites anywhere. This is from what I gathered from two of my friends that were NYCOM grads. They got a large variety in and around NYC and LI.

NSUCOM has some pretty sweet facilities, friendly staff and students, good rotations, and ummmm its in Fort Lauderdale where its shorts weather in Janunary at the beach. :)

In regards to NSUCOM or NYCOM, pick with you feel will give you the best education. Everyone and their mother will tell you how great/crappy one school is.

I would def go for NSUCOM and NOVA over NYCOM -- without a doubt...go where you will be happy -- the education you get is whatever you make of it...if your happier at say NOVA then you'll always have a much better educational experience.

Both are good schools with good rotations. Obviously NYCOM has great rotations but NSUCOM has rotations in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, all those big cities. I don't know who said they focus a lot on rural medicine, but that is wrong. So, essentially it comes down to whether you want to be in the cold, wintery city of new york or the warm city, beachside city of ft. lauderdale :D :cool:

HoodyHoo said:
Both are good schools with good rotations. Obviously NYCOM has great rotations but NSUCOM has rotations in Miami, Orlando, Tampa, all those big cities. I don't know who said they focus a lot on rural medicine, but that is wrong. So, essentially it comes down to whether you want to be in the cold, wintery city of new york or the warm city, beachside city of ft. lauderdale :D :cool:

I think someone said that in regards to the I believe 3 required rural medicine elective rotations in the 4th year. Some schools offer total elcetives for the 4th year.

Robz said:
I think someone said that in regards to the I believe 3 required rural medicine elective rotations in the 4th year. Some schools offer total elcetives for the 4th year.

Yeah, you mean 3 months right?? That is still not a big deal though. I don't think it's a primary focus of the school like they made it sound. anyway, i'd still rather be on the beach.

Three months isn't bad to be in a rural area, but to think that's three months minimum in your fourth year when most students are meeting physicians and getting recommendations and networking for residencies. That plays a big part.

In fact you can do those rural rotations in NYC hence you not only get to enjoy beautiful FL weather for 3 yrs but you also get to experience some of the great rotations that NYC has to offer :)

I've heard that those rural rotations can even be done in places such as guatamala, india, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
stitch62679 said:
Three months isn't bad to be in a rural area, but to think that's three months minimum in your fourth year when most students are meeting physicians and getting recommendations and networking for residencies. That plays a big part.

I can see if you get the 3 months in the beginning of your fourth year this would blow....I wouldn't be at all upset if it was spreadout or toward the end....I plan on traveling a lot for away rotations and interviews.

This discussion has been a topic like forever. Like most people say, it depends on where you would like to practice medicine in. Weather has some play into it but get real now.

NYC is one of the best places to practice medicine in, you'll see a lot of things in NYC where you wont see anywhere else in the world, hence, NYC as capitol of the world. =)

first 2 academic years at NYCOM isn't all that. Its alright and if anything... not up to par w/ most of the other med schools. HOwever, as you will learn, your biggest learning is your rotations. NYCOM has many affiliated hospitals including our NYCOMEC system which includes many great hospitals in the NY State.

But it all depends on preference and what you would like to do in the future. Keep in mind though, NYC has 5 boroughs, and bronx and brooklyn both has one of the highest malpractice insurance in the nation. But yet again, you earn a whole lot more. =)

"NYC is one of the best places to practice medicine in, you'll see a lot of things in NYC where you wont see anywhere else in the world, hence, NYC as capitol of the world. =)" (Lim)

Have you practiced medicine in both NYC and Fort Lauderdale or better yet, Miami? If this is not so, how can you make this argument? What one will see, clinically, in one part of the country may be somewhat different from what one will see in another part of the country, however if one is training in a large city, such as NYC or Miami, you are going to be exposed to a wide variety of clinical presentations. Just because you are in New York doesn't mean you are going to see all these things that other people in large cities won't see, it is just not true.

Also, as you mentioned NYCOM may be sub-par when it comes to its academic training years. This is a problem for me. I believe that a good base to stand on is worth something.

In addition, NYCOM is in Long Island!!!!! Not NYC. You have to travel, what like 30-45 minutes just to get into NYC. NSU is in Fort Lauderdale. True you would have to travel 30 mins or so to get to Miami, but the variety in patient population in Fort Lauderdale, I am willing to bet, is much wider than the patient population in Long Island.

NYCOM:
-sub-par academic medical training.
-NYC 30-45mins away
-Located in Long Island, where there is probably not the greatest variety of patient types.
-Shi% for weather.
-an attitude that NY is the capital of the world

NSU:
-par if not above-par academic medical training.
-Miami 30-45 mins away
-Located in Fort Lauderdale, where there is probably greater variety in patient population than Long Island
-Nice weather
-not an attitude that Fort Lauderdale is the Capital of the world

-------The choice is clear for me...NSU all the way :thumbup:

Wow, that sounded like you completely don't like NY! LOL

I completely agree with sia simba, it is the rotations that make all the difference. All of the fourth year medical students I've met on rotation all have let me know that not only the networking you do is vital to your residency and even in your practice, but the fourth year rotations really let you make the connections that will help you in the future. It also helps you find exactly what you would like to do. I wouldn't let weather play a larger part than the quality of the location, especially the hospitals you are at during rotations.

This talk of potentially better clerkship rotation sites and networking is all fine and dandy but if you don't have a good foundation in the academic part of medicine and that influences your ability to learn the material well enough to accel on the boards, then the idea of attending a residency in NYC that has a great reputation can be forgotten.

Okay, NY obviously has a good location for rotations. but HELLO, uh, let's see, Florida has Miami, Orlando, Tampa, etc.... I honestly think it's pretty even because I'm sure there are a lot of things you see in the immigrant population in southern FLA that you don't see in NY. Thus, I think the weather + equal rotations would be a better reason.

BostonSean said:
...but the variety in patient population in Fort Lauderdale, I am willing to bet, is much wider than the patient population in Long Island.
:eek:
Um....Long island includes Brooklyn and Queens. Long Island itself has over 3 million people. The patient population is as rich or guttered as you'd like to see anywhere. Nycom does rotations ranging from out east long island (stony brook univ.) to Nassau County, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx, upstate, and everywhere in between. If you live centrally, (and not at the actual NYCOM campus as was implied), all these places are within an hour commute (depending on traffic and where exactly you live).
NYCOM:
-sub-par academic medical training.
How exactly was this decision derived again?

I'm not trying to offend anyone in particular here, but this thread has just turned into a school-ego match and is off track. Everyone is just listing what they like about they're school, i.e. I'm going to NYCOM because its near NYC, or I like Nova 'cause its warm. These are things that the OP already knew. Remember, this thread is intended to get inside information from those who either go to or know a lot about NYCOM or Nova.

Saying that NYCOM's academics suck or that the rural rotations of Nova blow because they're rural have no merit behind them, they're simply uninformed opinions. In other words, get off yer schools n*tz people!

I didn't make the original claim that NYCOM's academics were sub-par...

"the first 2 academic years at NYCOM isn't all that. Its alright and if anything... not up to par w/ most of the other med schools" (sia_simba)

Someone who attends the school, and probably has a good idea of the quality of the academic education one may receive there, did.

Sia_simba's major point after making this statement was that the clinical rotations are far superior in comparison to any other place in the world.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the clinical education one receives while rotating in NYC is fantastic, however it may not be so superior to places like Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

So... If the school is struggling right now, in the academic medicine department (many recent and up-and-coming changes to the curriculum, too big a class size for the facilities they possses, the resignation of the entire OPP department) does it not make sence to go to the school that is more stable academically and also has stellar clinical rotation opportunities???

Just my two cents, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't think it is unreasonable to say that NYCOM is struggling right now.

BostonSean said:
Just my two cents, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't think it is unreasonable to say that NYCOM is struggling right now.

Huh? Struggling? As a third year at the school, I assure you that nycom is alive and well. The past 2 match lists prove it. NYCOM's '03 and '04 lists are on here somewhere. Post Nova's then we'll talk. Second, there arent too many up and coming changes to the curriculum. Third, 3 docs left the OMM department, one wants to come back, and the place hasnt missed a beat, they've brought in new faculty who I think are actually more well-rounded physicians and are more approachable than the old ones. If you want to talk about upheaval, lets talk about Nova's recent attendance policy that was instituted. I hear its pretty much a nightmare.

As far as rotations goes, yes, Miami and Fort Lauderdale are fine places to learn clinical medicine. But no one can argue that the pathology seen in Fort Lauderdale will match the pathology seen in NYC, which is where many of the rotations are for NYCOM (not Long Island). Plus the fact that you may have to ship all over florida and even elsewhere for rotations can be a pain. I'm past the point of having to live in a dorm room. As far as the first 2 academic years, they're honestly not that different anywhere. They all use the same books, have the same lecture topics, etc. You get out of it what you put into it, anywhere.

Anyway this pi$$ing match between a bunch of premed students or first/second year students who have yet to put a stethoscope on an actual patient is rather nonproductive. You'll get a fine education at either place as long as YOU are willing to work.... period.

I just wanted to add that I'm going to be attending NSUCOM and for many reasons but I have to say that I admired NYCOM for its hospital rotations. They have some mighty fine ones and I have a couple of close friends that graduated form there that are doing some great residencies.

Each school has its pluses and minuses. Its easy to end up in a pissing match its really up to the person to find the school that best with them.

I will say though that being able to study Netters on a beach in November is kinda cool sounding. :)

oceandocDO said:
Huh? Struggling? As a third year at the school, I assure you that nycom is alive and well. The past 2 match lists prove it. NYCOM's '03 and '04 lists are on here somewhere. Post Nova's then we'll talk. Second, there arent too many up and coming changes to the curriculum. Third, 3 docs left the OMM department, one wants to come back, and the place hasnt missed a beat, they've brought in new faculty who I think are actually more well-rounded physicians and are more approachable than the old ones. If you want to talk about upheaval, lets talk about Nova's recent attendance policy that was instituted. I hear its pretty much a nightmare.

As far as rotations goes, yes, Miami and Fort Lauderdale are fine places to learn clinical medicine. But no one can argue that the pathology seen in Fort Lauderdale will match the pathology seen in NYC, which is where many of the rotations are for NYCOM (not Long Island). Plus the fact that you may have to ship all over florida and even elsewhere for rotations can be a pain. I'm past the point of having to live in a dorm room. As far as the first 2 academic years, they're honestly not that different anywhere. They all use the same books, have the same lecture topics, etc. You get out of it what you put into it, anywhere.

Anyway this pi$$ing match between a bunch of premed students or first/second year students who have yet to put a stethoscope on an actual patient is rather nonproductive. You'll get a fine education at either place as long as YOU are willing to work.... period.

No one has ever been a student at both schools(unless they transferred) so how can anyone say one school is better than the other? it's ridiculous. However, I think it is also ridiculous to say that the pathology seen in Miami won't match that of NYC. Everything you see in NYC you probably see in Miami and vice versa. Even if there is more in NYC, there is no chance that it is to such a high degree that warrants making a decision for that sole reason. Anyway, unless you're talkin about schools with some history(KCOM, DMU, and PCOM), you can't really say one is better than the other. anyway, that's all i gots to say.

You guys are right. Those who love Florida will always want Nova, and the NY'ers will pick NYCOM. As for academics, we all know you get out of it what you put in. As for rotations, from having worked with the 4th year students and having put countless stethoscopes on patients, lol, I can safety say it does play a role. I'm not speculating, it's just what I've been told by both the physicians and the students. I have a bias for the northeast though. :)

1. Bostonsean, relax. sorry if I offended you. not intended.
2. In my original post, I am simply giving my opinion about MY school. I have said NOTHING about NSUCOM. "NYC is the capitol of the world. =)" As a joke, hense the smiley FACE. Can't we all have some sense of humor ? Even if I didn't intend it as a joke, I think I am safe to say that NYC is one of those major cities in the world w/ great importance, like LA, washington DC, london, paris, tokyo, etc. I mean for argument sakes, I am sure miami is a GREAT city for travel, tourist, education no doubt about it, but to NYC ? I don't think there can be a comparison there.
3. NYC population 2000 census 8,008,000.
Miami population 2000 census 362,470.
(if you want more stats on males/females, age, income, racial, differences, msg me)
A lot of things might have changed in the last 4 years, people moving in and out, but I doubt 8 million people moved into miami.
More people = more problems = more sick people = diversity in the hospitals.

I am not saying that miami physicians are idiots and dont see anything, but compared to new york city, give me a break now... i'm just being relistic. Its just like someone comparing NYC time square to las vegas strip.. i mean time square is great and all that, but compared to las vegas strip ??? CAN'T BE COMPARED.

"NYCOM academic years aren't all that.. not up to par w/ other med schools" Why am I going to LIE to other people for ? I put that statement in there to show people that I am NOT bias towards NYCOM because I go there. Of course I would like my school to be the best, but IM NOT going to LIE about it if its not. How can I go to say that NYCOM academic years are excellent or the best ? I am being modest and saying they ARENT all that, WHICH IS TRUE. You don't hear people saying.. "OMG.. i have to go to NYCOm cuz the first two years are the best". but i do hear people saying "WOW.. NYCOm has a really good clincial rotation years"

not up to par w/ other med schools... i'm sorry, but when I say med schools... i mean both DO and MD, regardless of what other people might say, I go to a US accredited medical school. I guess I should have specified which schools we arent up to par w/... i was thinking more of albert einstein, mt. sinai, harvard, duke, etc. Am I wrong to say that ? probably even kirksville.

I still stand by my post because the thread is about pros/cons about both schools if im not mistaken. pros: nycom has excellent rotation cons: nycom academic yrs isn't all that. However, having good rotation is far better than first 2 years (in my opinion).

I hope that clears up a lot of misconceptions based on my post which caused much pain and suffering.

tequila anyone ?

P.S. 30-45mins drive to NYCOm from brooklyn: you are correct. It takes me ONE HOUR to drive from my home in brooklyn, to lower part of bronx going 65-75mph. Last time I check, I didn't know there was a city called Long Island, I thought Long Island is part of New york city. Can someone please check on that for me ?

Hi, I wrote a while back and never really followed up. I am currently a Nova student but live about 3 miles from NYCOM. Luckily, I was rejected from NYCOM, so the decision was easy for me to make. I will tell you that the school does do a good job selling itself. I remember when I interviewed, the mandatory attendence and dress code did not bother me. After having to abide by it for the past 9 months, it gets annoying. If you are not a class person or like to make that choice on your own, this may not be the school for you. 2nd semester, we have a test about every monday, so if you are someone who likes to go home, it is almost impossible to do so outside of breaks. However, I am glad I decided to come here because I was in New York my whole life. Hope this helps.

Mrlee
class of 07

"I am sure miami is a GREAT city for travel, tourist, education no doubt about it, but to NYC ? I don't think there can be a comparison there." (sia_simba)

Why not? Its a major city where you have a diverse population of patients and a busy ER with a wide variety of cases. I think there can be a comparison. My bet is that coming from a clerkship in a busy level 1 trauma center in Miami and coming from a clerkship in a level 1 trauma center in NYC will result in equal training and preparedness.

"3. NYC population 2000 census 8,008,000." (sia_simba)

I wonder if this number includes places like long Island (metro areas) into its calculation? We are talking the actual city proper as we make comparisons not the whole area considered "NYC".

"Miami population 2000 census 362,470." (sia_simba)

I wonder if this number doesn't take into consideration the metro area's population?

I am not saying that miami physicians are idiots and dont see anything, but compared to new york city, give me a break now... i'm just being relistic. (sia_simba)

I don't think you are being realistic. People who train at NYC hospitals are not leagues ahead of their counter parts in other major cities in the USA.
Area you saying that someone training at Boston U med center has a handicapp when compared to people who train at some of the NYC hospitals? I think not. I also don't think this happens in Miami.

"Its just like someone comparing NYC time square to las vegas strip.. i mean time square is great and all that, but compared to las vegas strip ??? CAN'T BE COMPARED." (sia_simba)

huh? What is your basis for comparison here? # of lights?

"NYCOM academic years aren't all that.. not up to par w/ other med schools"
I guess I should have specified which schools we arent up to par w/... i was thinking more of albert einstein, mt. sinai, harvard, duke, etc. Am I wrong to say that ? probably even kirksville." (sia_simba)

I don't know about you, but I certainly would not make Harvard medical school par for the course, nor Duke, nor Sinai. If these were par, every school in the nation wouldn't make it to the second round of the tournament.

"but i do hear people saying 'WOW.. NYCOm has a really good clincial rotation years'" (sia_simba)

My question for you is....do you here people say what you say:

"you'll see a lot of things in NYC where you wont see anywhere else in the world" (sia_simba)

I doubt it. That may be a bit of an exaggeration. What rare pathology is seen in NYC that is not also seen in Miami (except for frostbite maybe? :p )

"I still stand by my post because the thread is about pros/cons about both schools if im not mistaken. pros: nycom has excellent rotation cons: nycom academic yrs isn't all that. However, having good rotation is far better than first 2 years." (sia_simba)

How about the idea of having good rotations and good academc years?
(This is my major point to consider.)

"Last time I check, I didn't know there was a city called Long Island, I thought Long Island is part of New york city." (sia_simba)

-ahh yes the little digs you put in. Nice. Actually I never called LI a city. Fort Lauderdale is a part of the country, like LI, where people refer to places as "Fort Lauderdale " but the actual region in question may be; Davie, Hollywood, etc... So like LI, Fort Lauderdale is a collection of cities and towns, therefore my comparison of the two areas, Ft. Laud and Long Island is valid.

If you are going to call long island "NYC" and view LI in the terms that most people refer to "NYC" in. That would be like saying Brookline or Welsley is Boston. yeah sure it is in the Boston metro area but I would not speak of the patients (on average) one will encounter in Wesley and the patients one will encounter at Boston U med center in the same sentence. Totally different experiences are to be had. Even if LI is technically NYC, the clinical experiences to be had a very different (on the average) when compared to those had in NYC proper.

...check! ;)

I don't know how much difference this will make, but the Doc I shadowed went to NYCOM and he urged me very strongly to go to NSU. He mainly pointed out their new facitlities, grat location, and ample rotation sites. I have chosen to attend NSU (class of 2008) and I feel confident given his advice and my impression of the school.
:)

1. I am not sure if new york city includes Long island or not, but give me a break now... The 5 borough alone has half the population of the entire florida state. 8mil vs 16mil (est) in 2002.

2. if you learned how to read, I am not saying that NYC physicians are better and I noted in my statement. I am basically saying that we have a variety of hospitals and that would give you better exposure. I mean if you want to get technical, we can start comparing # of medical schools, # of hospitals... in manhattan alone, there is a major hospital every 10 blocks or so. I KNOW because I've walked passed them myself. How many hospital does miami have ? 20 maybe ? Thats probably the amt of hospitals in my neighborhood.

3. Vegas and new york comparison.. have you even been to any of these two cities ?? anyone who has can tell the diff between new york and vegas.. New York = city that never sleeps ..... so people say... but if you go to vegas.. that is really the city that never sleeps.

4. make it to second rounds of tournament? Don't make me laugh... i know tons of people who would rather go to those high rank medical schools than NSU or NYCOM... that is why we are having this discussion.. between 2 DOs school. BUt admit it.. .half the kids that goes to DO school is only becaue they can't get into MD school.. SAD but true.

5. yes i do hear people say "you will see things here in NYC where you wouldnt see anywhere else".. I trained as an EMT before medical school and my instructor worked IN MANY MAJOR CITIES before.. and he made that statement....

6. I would like a school to have good academic and rotation, but you can't say that NSU is the best... by saying that you are being bias because you go there. I am not here to argue if NSU is good or not.. i am here to talk about NYCOM.

NYC is the 5 boros - brooklyn, queens, bronx manhattan, and staten island

long island is NOT part of the city. it is the suburbs.

thank you very much. :)

Man, this is great! Arguing about the census population. That'll help people decide! ;)

Seriously, both cities will see their fair share of kooky pathology. While NYC may have more of a blend from around the world, south florida will have a large percentage from Cuba, the Caribbean, and God's Waiting Room (aka... the 75 and over crowd). My biggest concern with third and fourth year rotations, besides the quality of sites of course, is how much moving I'll have to do. Where exactly are all of NSU's rotation sites? In Miami?-- if so, that would be a fine place to train, with a significant population of underserved people. In Fort Lauderdale? -- if so, you'll see less diversity, more private patients, etc. What kind of facilites are there? Level I trauma centers? Small community hospitals? Must students rotate elsewhere in Florida? -- if so, how often do you have to move? Every 6 weeks? Do you live in dorm rooms? Cost? These are the questions one should be asking, as they will definitely affect your quality of life someday. As for nycom, 80% of the rotations are located in the NY metro area, all within a commute. There's a few upstate and one or two in CT, but nobody I know had to go to these places unless they wanted to. Some of the major clinical affiliates all within 30 geographical miles of each other include:

-North Shore Manhasset Univ Hospital- Level I trauma Center, 800+ beds, also affiliated with NYU School of Medicine, voted by AARP as the Best Hospital in America last year.
-Long Island Jewish Univ Hospital- Also affiliated with North Shore Univ Hospital and Albert Einstein School of Medicine; ~600 beds and 65,000 ED visits a year.
-St. Barnabus Medical Center- Level I trauma Center, sees the 3rd most traumas in all of NYC; also affiliated with Cornell Medical School; Has osteopathic residency programs in ER, ER/IM, Surgery, Medicine, Peds, FP and Radiology.
-Nassau University Medical Center- Level I Trauma Center, 1200+ beds, Affiliated with Stony Brook Medical School; 300+ residents in every discipline.
-Newark Beth Israel- Level I trauma center, ~700 beds, also affiliated with Mt. Sinai School of Medicine

Others in the NYC vicinity:
Lutheran Medical Center
Brookdale Medical Center
Maimonides medical Center
Good Samaratan Medical Center
Wyckoff Medical Center

"if you learned how to read, I am not saying that NYC physicians are better and I noted in my statement. I am basically saying that we have a variety of hospitals and that would give you better exposure." (sia_simba)

If you learned how to write maybe your statements would make sense and we, as readers of your posts, wouldn't have to fill in your gaps and delete conjunctions that you don't mean to include.
---now that we are done insulting each other...this is what I don't agree with. I don't agree that you get better exposure in NYC, when compared to most other major cities such as Boston and Miami.

"in manhattan alone, there is a major hospital every 10 blocks or so. I KNO"W because I've walked passed them myself. How many hospital does miami have ? 20 maybe ? Thats probably the amt of hospitals in my neighborhood." (sia_simba)

You walked past them yourself? Good for you. Do you want a cookie?

20 Hospitals in your neighborhood? Come on now. How big is your neighborhood? Let's see 20 hospitals times 10 blocks/hospital umm... 200 blocks! Wow that is quite a big neighborhood. Come on now let's make claims that are at least somewhat realistic.

Maybe this "there is a hospital around every corner" argument doesn't work to your benefit. Maybe there are so many hospitals, so close together that patients become disseminated throughout all of them and thus pattients rely less on particular stellar teaching hospitals for care. I don't know just a thought.

"Vegas and new york comparison.. have you even been to any of these two cities ?? anyone who has can tell the diff between new york and vegas.. New York = city that never sleeps ..... so people say... but if you go to vegas.. that is really the city that never sleeps." (sia_simba)

your original post:
"I am not saying that miami physicians are idiots and dont see anything, but compared to new york city, give me a break now... i'm just being relistic. (realistic about what? I don't see you as being realistic at all.) Its just like someone comparing NYC time square to las vegas strip.. i mean time square is great and all that, but compared to las vegas strip ??? CAN'T BE COMPARED." (sia_simba)

ok great. What was your point of saying this originally? It certainly wasn't obvious. What are you comparing the two cities on? It seemed as though you just made a comment about places that were different. Ok good job, now how does this help your argument?
Actually what is your argument? You like NYCOM ok, that is fine. We can, and do, all respect that.

"make it to second rounds of tournament? Don't make me laugh... i know tons of people who would rather go to those high rank medical schools than NSU or NYCOM..." (sia_simba)

Huh? Initially you said that NYCOM was sub-par. Then I called you on it. Then you said well I am saying that par is Harvard etc... and I am say that your assessment of what par means is ridiculous. Yes you are right that IS funny. Harvard being considered par is funny, and a bit ridiculous. If Harvard is par what school is above par (or under par to continue the golf metaphor)???

"i know tons of people who would rather go to those high rank medical schools than NSU or NYCOM... that is why we are having this discussion.. (sia_simba)

no that is not why we are having this discussion. we are having this discussion in an attempt to compare two schools for the original poster, that happen to not be comparable to Harvard or any school like it in terms of reputation, NYCOM and NSU. However, everyone knows that one's medical education is what they make of it and given the tools to succeed, you can practice medicine as well, if not better, than a harvard grad.

"I would like a school to have good academic and rotation, but you can't say that NSU is the best... by saying that you are being bias because you go there." (sia_simba)

I never said this nor did anyone on this forum, but you did say that NYCOM is not that great so we know that at least...

"My biggest concern with third and fourth year rotations, besides the quality of sites of course, is how much moving I'll have to do."

Good point Ocean, this is something worth considering.

I wonder if someone rented an apartment in NYC, and travelled by car or by the metro, if the emense amount of traffic, or slowness of public trans., will play a role in the ability of an MS3 or MS4 to make it to a clinical rotation site in a reasonable amount of time. If it takes you an hour to get uptown and it takes me an hour to drive 50 miles on the highway what's the difference?
Also the price of an apartment in NYC is unreal... I could probably rent an apartment in each of the differnt areas of Florida where my diff. clinical rotations may be for the same price/month.

One other comment... I don't think that Ft. Lauderdale lacks diverisity as many of the LI towns/cities may.

hey Boston... learn how to use the "quote" function, as your posts are basically unreadable b/c of the formating...

Anyway, regarding the commute, I never had more than a 20 minute commute to any of my rotations this year, and I lived in the same apartment with the same friends all year. I'm not talking about a commute anyway, I'm talking about flat-out moving for rotations. Orlando or Tampa are not commutable from campus in Fort Lauderdale. For people with families, girlfriends, boyfriends, etc, the amount of time you'll be stuck in a dorm room in a strange city while you're completing your third year requirements is of huge concern. I see your core rotation sites are in Broward Cty, Dade Cty, Orlando, Tampa, Palm Beach, and Georgia. The east coast hospitals may be commutable from each other, but that's about it. And, from browsing the hospital websites, I saw very few tertiary care centers, most have less than 300 beds.

As for nycom, very few students live in Manhattan, but most live in long island or the nice parts of brooklyn or queens and can easily make it to any of

I sense you're the type of person that is very argumentative. Are all your classmates like this? ... if so, maybe a DO/JD is in your future ;)

Where did you live Ocean that was such a prime location for all your rotations?

If someone lives in LI and commutes into NYC for a rotation, that may take awhile.

The original point made was that...not having to commute far distances or to relocate is nice. I think we can all see your point. This is a good one, and also worth considering. However, there may be instances where it will take a NYCOM student just as long to get to a clerkship as I except I may have to travel a longer distance and you for a longer period of time over a shorter distance. This may be the case if you live in LI (like you say most of NYCOM students do) and have a clerkship in Manhattan.

However, the potential lack of relocation that may be true if you go to NYCOM will infact make your qualtiy of life better, sure. But there are many other factors to consider when assessing your quality of life as well.

But once again this is a good point that you have made.

Being able to sense an aspect of my personality on a message forum from a few posts is quite a talent you have there. Oh yeah and, as if I could know, all of my classmates are like this too. every single one. ;)

I just wanted to throw out a few things that I thought about when I applied this last cycle to medical schools.

I did not apply to NYCOM but considered it for their hospital rotation in their 3rd and 4th years. They are pretty sweet and they bump you around to quite a few locations. I have had two close friends (from when I lived in NY) that are graduates from NYCOM and both had a lot of great things to say about their 3rd and 4th years. That was the high points in their 4 years.

Reasons I didn't apply to NYCOM FOR ME were thats I used to live in NY where I really hated the weather and tangables of NY life. Especially when its was June before it felt like summer and then september it turned pretty cold again. It was like 7 months of winter and 3 months of summer! I also got sick of some of the costs of living in NY and on Long Island. It can get to be fairly expensive there. I wasn't sold on the school in terms of the first 2 years enough to move myself back to NY or apply. Good school but I realized that I would be living in that location and for me it wasn't the best choice. Though NYC is a damn fun place and I love to go vist my friends for a weekend or two. :)

I did apply to NSUCOM and there are many reasons FOR ME that I picked that school. I also used to live in Orlando and have a lot of friends there and a seasonal job which is one of the coolest ever. I personally have a better attitude when I am around sunshine and warm weather. I know some people on here like to complain about rotations and compare but I really liked some of the rotation sites that I could rotate through including the Miami Children's Hospital. (which is good since I am intrested in peds) The cost of living in Florida is decent and there are plenty of sports, beaches, activities, and facilities that I really liked. The additional aspects I liked is that the campus was very diverse just in the health professions division. Nursing, dentistry, public health, optometry, PA, PT, OT, medical sciences, and health scienes are all graduate degrees offered there. This to me meant more combined resources which pleased me. Of course with good there is bad. I think the attendace and dress policy is a little annoying but I am cool wearing PJ's...umm srubs and I am going to own a laptop with wireless so if I am bored in lecture I am going to use that time to study or play on SDN. :) Also, I love Florida but my own rant about the area is when people talk expecting you to know spanish. Again, thats my own rant. (good thing I know spanish :) )

This was just a quick rattle off of things that I thought about in my applications. I believe in the end you must make up your own mind and find where you will learn best and be the happiest. Its 4 years of your life that leads up to the next portion of residencies. Make sure if your truly intrested in both schools, apply, interview, and pick where you felt the most welcome, happy, and ready to go do hard work.

For those of you that Go to NSU but are from NY/NJ how often do u get a chance to fly back home and wuts the best method/airline carrier to fly --Cheapest :)

Hello,

I am very tired this morning. I have tried to post like 4329408 times but i keep on getting logged out and my entire post is deleted. Anyhow, I think what someone mention above is right. If you like florida, you'll most likely go to NSU, and if you like NY you'll most likely be at NYCOM.

Just and FYI: I live in brooklyn, NOT manhattan. 5min drive is Coney Island hospital, 15min drive is Mammonides, 15min drive is Jamaica hospital, 30-40min drive is North Shore hospital, 20min drive downstate hospital, and I could easily get to queens in 15-20mins. I drive out to Long Island where NYCOM is, about 30miles out in 30mins or so. I commute everyday and the drive is not all that bad for me. If you live in LI, you could easilly drive to the city hospitals or you could do your rotations at hospitals in LI. If your original home is upstate, you could easilly do rotation upstate, or if you originally live in NJ, we have 3 affiliated hospitals where you can do rotations at.

My point being that I personally feel that 3rd and 4th yr is most important because if you do well on them, you will be able to get good recommendations and hence, good residency. I am sure that is what most of us speak of. I have spoken to many 3rd and 4th, even resident doctors, including my uncle (who is an MD) and they've told me that the bulk of your learning is during your rotations.

Here are a list of medical schools in NYC. Columbia, NYU, downstate, Mt. Sinai, Albert Einstein, Cornell, NY medical college, NYCOM, and stony brook out in LI.

If anyone don't know, these schools are great medical schools and pretty hard to get into. I am sure these schools are good for many reasons, but I'm sure one of those reasons is that they have good rotations. If anyone doesnt understand this comparison, please say so and I'll try my best to explain.

Thats a good point, but I also feel that if you like Florida (you can't compare the weather in NY to that of Florida) then you will have no problem at NSU. There are many large clinical sites to complete you 3rd and 4th year rotations in which you will view just as many procedures as you would in NY and be exposed to the same experiences.

If it was my choice, NSU would be my pick. great facilities, great education, great weather -- cant beat it.

I have just been accepted to NSU and am extremely happy. I am from Long Island so I can give you personal advise about the area. I did not apply to NYCOM because I wanted a change (I have been a New Yorker all of my life). I went to PA school at Stony Brook and rotated through and worked alongside medical students and residents from NYCOM. They were all very prepared and intellegent. I do not think it is a matter of what school is better but rather what atmosphere you will be more comfortable in. From doing rotations at almost all of the same hospitals as the NYCOM students I have a personal perspective. It is EXTREMELY stressful to commute in New York. A stress that you have to experience yourself to appreciate. It took me two hours each way to commute to Queens hospital Center from Long Island(Nassau County, not even 30 miles)every morning and night. It can be enough to drive you crazy at times. Also the subway and public transportation system in New York is really seamless only in Manhattan. Subway stations and bus stops throughout the othere boroughs are spread out. It is hard to do the mass transit thing, and quite expensive. I know because I tried it. If you are looking for that extremely high paced atmosphere that you will only find in NY then NYCOM is for you. Like I said both schools are awesome it is just a matter of your personality and what you are willing to put up with. Hope that helped. :eek: :luck: Good Luck and maybe I will see you in July!

amoxicillin said:
Thats a good point, but I also feel that if you like Florida (you can't compare the weather in NY to that of Florida) then you will have no problem at NSU. There are many large clinical sites to complete you 3rd and 4th year rotations in which you will view just as many procedures as you would in NY and be exposed to the same experiences.

If it was my choice, NSU would be my pick. great facilities, great education, great weather -- cant beat it.

i find it funny how you are telling everyone to choose another school over nycom, while you yourself are waiting for a decision from them. did you apply to these as well, since you think these schools are so much better than nycom? im curious.

Sunystudent is right, it is all personal perspective. I agree w/ him saying that sometimes it takes a long time to get from one place to another, especially on the LIE, but it should be better very soon because they are ready to open a 4th lane. I drive everyday around the entire city so I know when and where there would be traffic. But in a likewise argument, rush hour is crowded anywhere in the US in major cities, including miami. But I guess miami is a bit less populated than NYC so less traffic compared.

I also agree in the fact that some people who live in NYC all their life would want a diff change. I've worked about a block away from world trade center several years back and NYC is very high pace. Everyone walks fast, eats fast, and does everything a bit faster. If you are more into doing things slowly, taking your time, then go else where.

However, I do agree that traveling from LI to NYC by public transportation is not all that great because we only have the LIRR and highways. But i've lived in the city all my life as well and from personal experience, NYC has one of the best public transportation. During Rush hour, a train comes and goes a station every 3-5mins. During non-peak hours, its about 7 mins. During late night, its a little bit longer. I know because my friend's dad works for the MTA. Our subway is pretty extensive in the 5 borough in my opinion and excellent in manhattan. I use to take the train and so did 2million other teenager in NYC to go hang out.

But anyhow, I think we've covered pretty much the extent to this thread which almost every possible ideas were mentioned. I would like to personally thank everyone who input their idea, even the laywer from NSU. =)

Goodluck w/ your studies either at NSU, NYCOM or anywhere else.

Cheers Sia_Simba, good luck with your endeavors at NYCOM as well. :)

-Boston