NSUCOM 2007 Match List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregsAnatomy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those interested.... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• INTRES07.pdf
    116 KB · Views: 542
For all those interested.... :)

damn, you beat me to posting it!

For all those people constantly saying its not likely that DO's will match allopathic general surgery... 5/12 of the people doing general surgery are at allopathic university programs... including Mayo-Rochester. It probably is an up-hill battle, but it is doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the difference between 'transitional year' and 'traditional rotating'?

Transitional year refers to an internship that is meant for people entering specialties whose residencies begin their second year of training (say a 2-4 em program). Traditional rotating in the osteo word refers to a traditional internship that, in many cases, counts as the first year of an osteo residency program (required for licensing in those crazy five states).

I'd love to speak with the MS-4 who matched into Gen Surg. at Mayo-Rochester.

Was the Mayo-Rochester spot a Prelim or Categorical?

Do you go to NSU, if you do...just email the listserve.

Nah, I don't. I had to cancel the interview invite due to extenuating circumstances. Could you email the listserv for me and provide me his/her contact information?

So prelim you are only guaranteed one year?

Prelim spots are one year, yes.

Most of these people go into Uro, Plastics, Anesthesia & other surgical fields.

Some hope to stay on and complete their Gen Surg residency.

Some programs will accept a large number of prelims because they have the funding for first year spots but dont have the funding, or capacity, to carry that many residents through the entire program.

Members don't see this ad :)

Some programs will accept a large number of prelims because they have the funding for first year spots but dont have the funding, or capacity, to carry that many residents through the entire program.

So, if one doesn't stick within the program following the prelim year, then does this mean they must go through the match once more? What would they do in the meantime? Moonlight ... or be like Seger's dad and set up a doc-in-the-box?

I see, was hoping for some elaboration. Thanks :D

So, if one doesn't stick within the program following the prelim year, then does this mean they must go through the match once more? What would they do in the meantime? Moonlight ... or be like Seger's dad and set up a doc-in-the-box?

Some people who do a prelim year already have a PGY-2 spot lined up and they must complete a prelim year as part of that. Others have a PGY-2 spot lined up and decided, for some reason, that a prelim surg spot was better than a traditional internship or transitional year.

Others will be reapplying through the match during their internship year for a PGY-2 spot somewhere.

Some will also petition/apply to stay in that surgery program.

Not many people do a prelim surg spot because they have nothing else to do. Those spots arent as easy to get as some internship & transitional year spots are.

But for those who complete a PGY-1 year and dont match or dont have something in line...they need to figure something out. Some people moonlight, but that depends on the state you are in. Not all states allow a physician to practice in any capacity with only one year of post grad training. Some require up to 3 years.

I know some people who went into research fields, consulting fields and academics.

Only a handful that I know set up a practice, but those guys set up shop over 12 years ago. Could be tough going if thats what you do. Malpractice coverage can be difficult to get. Most insurance companies wont reimburse. Could be a cash only setup. And again, this is assuming you are in a state that allows that type of practice with only 1 year of training.

I, too, am now interested if this Mayo-Rochester match was a Prelim or a Categorical.

Has Mayo-Rochester ever taken a DO for Gen. Surg. in the match prior to this match year?

I, too, am now interested if this Mayo-Rochester match was a Prelim or a Categorical.

Has Mayo-Rochester ever taken a DO for Gen. Surg. in the match prior to this match year?

I dont know. They dont list current or recent residents on their website. At least not that I could find

I dont know. They dont list current or recent residents on their website. At least not that I could find

Wow, I'm feeling like a real *****, because I cannot find a Gen. Surgery program at Mayo Rochester on CareerMD.com

EDIT: I did, however, find it on Mayo's site.

Wow, I'm feeling like a real *****, because I cannot find a Gen. Surgery program at Mayo Rochester on CareerMD.com

EDIT: I did, however, find it on Mayo's site.

Thanks for that ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for that ... :rolleyes:

No doubt, I'm a fool for posting that, but there's no need to hide it at this point. Still surprised it's not listed on careermd.

Whether the person's position is prelim or categorical, I would have to guess that it will ultimately open up doors for him/her.

Still no word?

Was the Mayo-Rochester spot a Prelim or Categorical?

He got a categorical spot. One of our surgery attendings did his cardiothoracic fellowship at the Mayo Clinic and I'm sure had a hand in getting him in.

He got a categorical spot. One of our surgery attendings did his cardiothoracic fellowship at the Mayo Clinic and I'm sure had a hand in getting him in.

What were his stats like?

:thumbup:

Very cool. We need more DO surgeons in high profile residencies.

Sorry, but it was a she, and it is a preliminary spot. She did very well on the boards, is well ranked in the class and did a rotation at one of the Mayo clinics.

Sorry, but it was a she, and it is a preliminary spot. She did very well on the boards, is well ranked in the class and did a rotation at one of the Mayo clinics.

Thanks for the clarification. What is she going into, if you know?

Thanks for the clarification. What is she going into, if you know?

She is hoping to use this high profile prelim spot as a springboard into a categorical surgery spot. This is much like a classmate who last year took a Vandy prelim spot, and has now found a open categorical spot that he will be filling next year.

It is unfortunate that anything surgical is really where most of the bias against D.O.'s lies. This is exacerbated by the two states (GA, FL) closest to NSU, where Shands Jacksonville and MCG are really your only options if you wish to pursue allopathic gen surg training.

I wish Nova as well as the other schools didn't just list the traditional internships and transitional year people without adding where they will be going as PGY-2's. It would give a much more accurate picture of where people are matching from these schools.

I wish Nova as well as the other schools didn't just list the traditional internships and transitional year people without adding where they will be going as PGY-2's. It would give a much more accurate picture of where people are matching from these schools.

Agreed. It particularly makes a difference for the schools that are in states that require an AOA internship, like Florida. I feel the same when I look at PCOMs match list.

She is hoping to use this high profile prelim spot as a springboard into a categorical surgery spot. This is much like a classmate who last year took a Vandy prelim spot, and has now found a open categorical spot that he will be filling next year.

It is unfortunate that anything surgical is really where most of the bias against D.O.'s lies. This is exacerbated by the two states (GA, FL) closest to NSU, where Shands Jacksonville and MCG are really your only options if you wish to pursue allopathic gen surg training.

You guys can't go to Jackson memorial?

You guys can't go to Jackson memorial?

Thats a good question. I'm not sure about surgery, but other programs like anesthesia at Jackson have taken us. But then again, what one PD does has little effect on what a PD of another program does.