number of credits?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnex3

PennWe c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i know that most schools don't run on the 1 class = 1 credit system.

most of them do the 3 credits = 1 class or 4 credits = 1 class thing...

so when the schools look at your courseload, what is too "light" of a load in terms of the NUMBER of classes? I've taken 4.5 classes each semester for 4 semesters (including labs) but I'm planning on only taking 4 classes for my next 2 semesters (orgo + more involvement with my work study research position)

is 4 classes standard or is it too light of a load? i know a lot of people also take 5 classes, but i don't want to overload myself.

Members don't see this ad.

so i know that most schools don't run on the 1 class = 1 credit system.

most of them do the 3 credits = 1 class or 4 credits = 1 class thing...

so when the schools look at your courseload, what is too "light" of a load in terms of the NUMBER of classes? I've taken 4.5 classes each semester for 4 semesters (including labs) but I'm planning on only taking 4 classes for my next 2 semesters (orgo + more involvement with my work study research position)

is 4 classes standard or is it too light of a load? i know a lot of people also take 5 classes, but i don't want to overload myself.

Sunnex! Take some deep breaths, girl. You're FINE.

haha this wasn't a freaking out thread! i'm really just curious about how credits are counted! i don't know what the "standard" load is either..

although your reply is justified, given my reputation here already ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, at my school, full time was 12-18 credits. Lectures or seminars are 3 credits each, a discussion with a lecture adds 1 credit, likewise a lab with a lecture adds 1 credit. So gen chem would be 5 credits - lecture/lab/discussion.

Labs on their own are 2 credits.

Every school is different, but I think as long as you're taking 4 regular courses, or 3 if one/two have a lab involved - it would hit appropriate courseload.

At my school we did operate 1 class = 1 unit. 5 courses was a maximum load, and 3 or 3.5 was the minimum (0.5 unit was for things like phys. ed or art etc).

I believe a 4 course semester is perfectly acceptable. As long as you're on track to graduate with enough credits you don't need to worry.

My school was a 1 class = 1 credit (labs included with corresponding class) and we had a minimum of 3 a term and a max of 4.5 a term with 3 terms a year.

I'm hoping that 4 classes per semester is considered good enough because at my school, 1 class (including any labs) = 1 credit, and 4 classes is standard for full-time students (some add a .5 half-semester or recreational-type class though). Anything over 4.5 isn't covered in our tuition here.

Here at SIU, they run a 12 minimum, 18 maximum without getting the Dean's permission and paying more for tuition. This year I have had 13 credit hours (4 classes and labs) in both this and last semester. Next semester I will have 17 credit hours (5 classes including a built in lab). I think 4 classes is pretty standard though. I wouldn't sweat it too much if I were you.