Minimum Credit Requirements and Quarter System

Started by sbrider12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sbrider12

UMN c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

It seems that for a majority of pre-requisites I will not meet "minimum credit" requirements based on a semester scale due to attending UCSB, which is a quarter system school. It is my understanding that 1 quarter unit = (2/3 = 0.667) semester unit.

For instance, I had two undergraduate writing classes ("Academic Writing" and one technical writing course), each worth 4 quarter units: 8 quarter units = ~5.333 semester units, however, most schools are looking for 6 units.

Luckily, it is not as much an issue with the core science pre-requisites (as I took most of those non-traditionally post-bac at school on the semester system), however it is an issue with some of the requirements for some of the schools, especially the ones that list "semester" units (though I assume all schools imply "semester", even if not explicitly listed).

Has anyone else had this issue or have any helpful information?

I plan to contact some of the admission offices for more information in the morning. Thanks!

EDIT: found this Semester vs. Quarter credit, but looking for any updated information. Thanks!
 
When I was applying ~4 years ago I had a similar problem for NCSU. I also went to a UC school for undergrad and was on the quarter system. You should really ask the school's admissions departments directly as they're the ones with the most correct, up-to-date information.

I didn't end up applying to NCSU, but was still able to successfully gain interviews and acceptances to multiple schools. Best of luck!