Minimum Credit Requirements and Quarter System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbrider12

UMN c/o 2024
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

It seems that for a majority of pre-requisites I will not meet "minimum credit" requirements based on a semester scale due to attending UCSB, which is a quarter system school. It is my understanding that 1 quarter unit = (2/3 = 0.667) semester unit.

For instance, I had two undergraduate writing classes ("Academic Writing" and one technical writing course), each worth 4 quarter units: 8 quarter units = ~5.333 semester units, however, most schools are looking for 6 units.

Luckily, it is not as much an issue with the core science pre-requisites (as I took most of those non-traditionally post-bac at school on the semester system), however it is an issue with some of the requirements for some of the schools, especially the ones that list "semester" units (though I assume all schools imply "semester", even if not explicitly listed).

Has anyone else had this issue or have any helpful information?

I plan to contact some of the admission offices for more information in the morning. Thanks!

EDIT: found this Semester vs. Quarter credit, but looking for any updated information. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying ~4 years ago I had a similar problem for NCSU. I also went to a UC school for undergrad and was on the quarter system. You should really ask the school's admissions departments directly as they're the ones with the most correct, up-to-date information.

I didn't end up applying to NCSU, but was still able to successfully gain interviews and acceptances to multiple schools. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users