number of LORS

Started by Conjuctiva
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Conjuctiva

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i have 4 spots... should i put 3 ob/gyn and 1 other LOR?

also, for California, i'm an IMG, 1 spot is PTAL... other 3 should be ob/gyn or 2 ob/gyn and 1 "general"
??

thanks!
 
so i have 4 spots... should i put 3 ob/gyn and 1 other LOR?

also, for California, i'm an IMG, 1 spot is PTAL... other 3 should be ob/gyn or 2 ob/gyn and 1 "general"
??

thanks!

There are a lot of school specifics. Some schools say "2-3," "3," whereas some say at least 3. From what I've gleaned, if you have 3 letters, at least 2 from OB-GYN faculty, it will cover you everywhere. Some (Michigan, Hopkins) require a letter from the OBGYN chairperson at your medical school.

After talking with my program coordinator, I ended up sending 4 letters to all schools. My OBGYN chair letter, 2 letters from OBGYN faculty, and 1 letter from my Medicine sub-internship attending (it seems a good idea to have a non-obgyn letter in there).

Note the the required MSPE/Dean's letter is not counted in these 4.

Can't help you on the IMG stuff (though why would you only be an IMG in California?), and I have no clue what PTAL stands for.
 
Last edited:
I submitted 4 letters, 3 were from obgyn, and 1 was from another primary care field. I don't think its necessary to have 3 obgyn letters, but i think at least 2 separate LORS in the field you want to go into would be good!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Completely agree with the two statements above - I am submitting the chairman's letter, another letter from an Ob-Gyn, and another two (one from a surgery rotation and one from a medicine rotation).

Hope this helps!
 
I have a similar question: if a program lists a number for LORs on their site (e.g., "3"), does that mean they want exactly 3, for example, or is that just a minimum? Thanks.
 
I have a similar question: if a program lists a number for LORs on their site (e.g., "3"), does that mean they want exactly 3, for example, or is that just a minimum? Thanks.

My dean's office, chairwoman, and program coordinator at Penn seemed to infer that it was a minimum. I thought I'd folllow all the different program recs, but ended up submitting 4 letters to everyone regardless.