Number of programs to apply to

Started by Sea Otter
Tags Tags
pm&r
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sea Otter

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all!

September is here and my ERAS application will be submitted soon but I'm still struggling with figuring out the number of programs (both prelim/transitional and PM&R) to apply to. I have a solid Step 1 with Step 2 CK pending. Grades are fine, honors on my PM&R rotation. 4 very solid letters.

Right now I have way too many prelim/TY programs on my list and around 25 PM&R programs. I want to narrow it down if possible but I'm afraid to cut too much and end up having to SOAP (classic med student neuroticism).

Does anyone have advice on the number of applications I should send out? How many did you apply to? I know it depends on the individual and all but if anyone has any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sea Otter
 
Last edited:
those are solid stats

you can always cancel interviews. it's been a long time so my experience may not be relevant.
 
A few years ago I applied with similar stats - more modest Step 1 but very good Step 2; 2 pubs/2 presentations - and had plenty of PM&R interviews (I think I got invites for about 17/20 programs) but I really focused on categorical programs. I forget about prelim/TY, but had less luck with those and invites tended to be more regional to my medical school.

PM me with any specifics you may have.