Number of psych residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scorcher31

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a quick question about where I stand applying to psychiatry residencies and how many I should apply to.

To start, I'm an osteopathic student with a slightly above average comlex step 1 grade low 500's and no USMLE. I passed on my first try and am awaiting results from step 2, but my application will be sent in first. I received mostly high passes, but a few honors here and there throughout classes and clerkships. I expect my personal statement, activities, and letters of rec to be good, but not out of this world amazing. I have not done any research or sub I's. I have always had a fairly strong desire to do psych, and am generally easy to get a long with and do pretty well on interviews.

I am planning on applying to the following 22 locations:
Institute of Living/Hartford Hospital Program
University of Connecticut Psychiatry Residency Program,
Yale-New Haven Medical Center Program,
Delaware Psychiatric Center Program,
Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University School of Medicine Program,
Boston University Medical Center Program,
Harvard Longwood Training Program,
Harvard South Shore Residency Training Program,
Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital Program,
Tufts University Program,
Seton Hall University School of Graduate Medical Education Program
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (Camden) Program
Albert Einstein Medical Center Program,
Allegheny General Hospital Program,
Drexel University College of Medicine Program,
Penn State College of Medicine/Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program,
Temple University Program,
Thomas Jefferson University Program,
University Health Center of Pittsburgh Program,
University of Pennsylvania Program,
Brown University Program,
UMDNJ/SOM/Kennedy Mem Hsp/Our Lady of Lourdes Program (osteo),

I realize a nice chunk of these may be stretches on my part, but there are probably at least 10 that I would hope would give me the time of day. I would appreciate any thoughts as to if I have a good shot based on the little info I gave, if this is more than enough programs or, if I need to come up with more. Thanks for all your help and for reading this giant thing!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about where I stand applying to psychiatry residencies and how many I should apply to.

To start, I'm an osteopathic student with a slightly above average comlex step 1 grade low 500's and no USMLE. I passed on my first try and am awaiting results from step 2, but my application will be sent in first. I received mostly high passes, but a few honors here and there throughout classes and clerkships. I expect my personal statement, activities, and letters of rec to be good, but not out of this world amazing. I have not done any research or sub I's. I have always had a fairly strong desire to do psych, and am generally easy to get a long with and do pretty well on interviews.

Institute of Living/Hartford Hospital Program
University of Connecticut Psychiatry Residency Program,
Yale-New Haven Medical Center Program,
Delaware Psychiatric Center Program,
Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University School of Medicine Program,
Boston University Medical Center Program,
Harvard Longwood Training Program,
Harvard South Shore Residency Training Program,
Massachusetts General Hospital/McLean Hospital Program,
Tufts University Program,
Seton Hall University School of Graduate Medical Education Program
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (Camden) Program
Albert Einstein Medical Center Program,
Allegheny General Hospital Program,
Drexel University College of Medicine Program,
Penn State College of Medicine/Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program,
Temple University Program,
Thomas Jefferson University Program,
University Health Center of Pittsburgh Program,
University of Pennsylvania Program,
Brown University Program,

I realize a nice chunk of these may be stretches on my part, but there are probably at least 10 that I would hope would give me the time of day. I would appreciate any thoughts as to if I have a good shot based on the little info I gave, if this is more than enough programs or, if I need to come up with more. Thanks for all your help and for reading this giant thing!

Honestly, I would add a few more programs since a few of the osteopaths last year with some decent numbers didn't match-- UPenn, UPitt, MGH, Longwood, and Brown don't really have a longstanding hx of taking DO students as far as I know, which knocks down like five of your programs.

Hey silas2642, thanks for your honesty. I appreciate it. I know I may be out of my league with some of those you mentioned, but I am somewhat confined to the northeast. I think I'll try and dig up a few more residencies in New Jersey and New York areas though, perhaps i can find some ones with a large number of slots that aren't quite as competitive.

I would say I'm probably an average applicant, so I was curious how many interviews to shoot for? I was thinking 6-8 interviews was probably a good number. If that's the case, how many programs is a good numebr to apply to? I figured i might get 2 from the 10-12 "big named programs" and maybe 1/3-1/2 of the other programs which came out to about 6-7 or 7 interviews. I was hoping that the local programs and programs I rotated at would give me interviews. I also heard that ~ 87%(may not be quite right) of applicants matched one of their first 3 ranked choices, which is why i felt 6 interviews might be a safe number. Thanks again for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think ranking a minimum of 8-10 is the recommendation for "average" applicants. Remember, there were practically no spots to scramble into last year. Better safe than sorry.

The osteo match comes before the MD match, right? So, if you apply to UMDNJ via the osteo match and you match there (which is likely based on your stats), then it seems your worries over how to rank your ACGME programs goes away

Or are you keeping Lady of Lourdes as a scramble option? It seems like scrambling is so awful I wouldn't even plan for it.

I think ranking a minimum of 8-10 is the recommendation for "average" applicants. Remember, there were practically no spots to scramble into last year. Better safe than sorry.

I agree with this.

Given his pretty good application though, I like the list of programs....I think it's large enough that he will cobble together 12 or more interviews....I'd just make sure to go on 10 or so, and he'll be fine.

Quick question. Are there any NYC/NJ that come to mind that would be open to DO's w/out USMLE?

Hi,

I am a 3rd year D.O. and definitely want to apply to psych. My problem is that I had to re-take comlex 1, and passed on the second attempt. I would also really like to go somewhere in the northeast, but I'm willing to apply everywhere. Because of my poor step 1 performance, my plan was to apply to at least 30 programs (I was thinking at the very least all along the east coast, and chicago).

Does anyone know of psych programs that take D.O. applicants that only passed comlex 1 on their second attempt? All my other stats are good to above average. 3.2 gpa, lots of extracurricular activities, master's degree in a related field.