Number of Rec Letters to Send

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tac123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a list of the maximum number of letters each school will accept? I've seen some that "prefer no more than 3" whereas others allow up to 6. Will something like the MSAR have this information or do I need to just go to each school's website individually to find it?

Members don't see this ad.

You can only add 10 letters to your application

I ended up having to go to each school's website and determine it that way. It wasn't too bad, most every school has this under their "FAQ" section or in some other painfully obvious spot. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This was compiled by someone a while back (from 2010-2011 cycle?)...I think you'll find it quite relevant though :D

Attachments

• Medical School LOR Requirements.xls
    136 KB · Views: 163
This was compiled by someone a while back (from 2010-2011 cycle?)...I think you'll find it quite relevant though :D

Wow, that is really helpful. Thanks for posting!

Are these requirements explicitly for applicants that don't have a pre-health committee letter? Or do these apply to applicants that do have a committee letter?

Are these requirements explicitly for applicants that don't have a pre-health committee letter? Or do these apply to applicants that do have a committee letter?

Committee letters usually trump individual LoRs. Pretty sure this is only meant for students without a committee letter.

If you have a committee letter are you usually required to supplement with individual letters?

If you have a committee letter are you usually required to supplement with individual letters?

As far as I know, never.

But there's always an exception to a rule.

Jefferson Med School requires "1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, and 1 humanities prof"? Are you serious?! I should have checked this before wasting $30. >___<

Also, question: if it says "humanities professor", will they not look at my application if I only have a letter from a humanities GSI? ;(

Last edited: