Number of schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you accepted with not the greatest stats, how many schools did you apply to? This is so expensive - I was planning to apply to 15, but is that too few?

Members don't see this ad.

the more the merrier

it's as simple as that

Usually money is the reason that prevents people from applying to many schools. Many of those would ask you to pay with a check or MO instead of credit card for the secondary. That way they are trying to limit the number of the applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to as many schools you can afford.
When choosing schools to apply, make sure to read up on those schools so that you would be happy if that's the only school you get an offer for acceptance.
Good luck.

To give yourself credits MCAt and GPA are not all that you're about and neither is the admissions prossess. Most schools who do have cutoffs have them much below their mean accepted GPA which is not the same (usually higher) as their mean martriculated (people who actualy ened up going there) GPA. Having said that, this is the approach I took to deciding which schools to apply to. I applied to 10, accpted by 2.

For someone in the postion of a cumulative 3.4 GPA and a 29 mcat you want to look at the overall acceptance stats of the schools your applying to and give yourself about a .3 devaiton in the GPA and about 4-5 points on the MCAT toatal score. Look for scools that fit that gpa/mact range then narrow down those schools by residency requirements. Most private schools are unbiased, some puplic schools accualy accept alot of out-of-staters to pay the bills. Look for out of state aceptance of near 10-15%. This might give you a list of about 15-20 schools total. Now take a look at what the MSAR says about admissions and the area of the school. Would you really move thousands of miles to go there and live in the desert/glacier/forest/city, are you a 7th day adeventist, christain, mormon? You are going to spend alot of money and time there so be sure you whould honestly go there if given no other choice. And always apply to all your state schools regardless. Good luck and keep faith in yourself thoughout the whole process.

oh my god
Am I the only one that has picked up on this person's state???

IF he/she is from Cali, they need to apply to a heck of a lot more schools than 15 ESPECIALLY if their GPA/MCAT is low.

I had a 3.37 and a 27Q with good enough ECs (publications, Medical assistant etc) and yet I found myself having to apply to 34 schools. I agree, 34 is overkill but I didn't want to limit myself. I am almost at poverty level and yet I would sell my assets to apply to more schools. But that's just me. I think if you're from Cali you need to apply to more schools. Just my 2 cents.

last i checked, 15 was the national average and 25 was the average for CA residents.

i think 15 is plenty enough as long as the range of schools is wide.