Number of Schools to Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I personally like to err on the more cautious side and go for about 15-18 programs. But I've heard of a lot of people only going on 10-12 interviews and they matched fine. So it really depends on what you're looking for and how comfortable you are
 
I personally like to err on the more cautious side and go for about 15-18 programs. But I've heard of a lot of people only going on 10-12 interviews and they matched fine. So it really depends on what you're looking for and how comfortable you are

Thanks for replying. Wow 15-18 programs to *interview*? (I know Med/Peds residents who only applied to 20 programs total!). In general I have heard to aim for around 8-10 interviews

Interested in hearing what some other folks think as well (aim for 8-10 or 15-18 range)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bumping this... curious to hear others weigh in. i think i'm going to go for 12 as the season moves on.
 
Also interested to hear more views. I am thinking 10-12 might be a safe target?

I was surprised to hear 16-18 schools, as I have never heard that recommended from anyone in Med/Peds before. Also I have heard residency program directors comment on "interview fatigue" which occurs once applicants have been on many (10+) interviews
 
I have 11 set up right now out of 15 invites. Probably going to cancel 1 more and stick with about 10.

Waiting to hear from about 10 places which I assume most will eventually be rejections.

I've heard 10 is plenty unless you feel like your application is weak for some reason.