Numbers of procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's getting close to graduation, and I was just reflecting on the low number of floor procedures I've done as a student (I thought). But after talking with friends, I found that I did lots more of some things, few in some things, and it really just depended on the rotation and the circumstances. So I'm throwing it out there, just to see how the SDN community stacks up.

Before I begin, a quick disclaimer: despite whatever I've done, I'm still scared poopless about starting internship. Having done a lot of a particular procedure as a student, always supervised, does NOT make me The Man (I'm The Man for various other reasons. :) ). In any case, I have a ton of learning coming my way in 7 weeks, but I just wanted to see what other folks have done. So here goes:

Plenty of IVs, shots, Foleys.
15 or so lac repairs (several head and face, lots of hand)
4 IJ lines, 0 subclavian
1 femoral line
0 arterial lines
13 vaginal deliveries
More pelvics than I care to talk about
3 LPs
3 intubations
1 chest tube (after resident made incision, then said "Hey, ever placed a tube?")
1 u/s guided thoracentesis

Anyways, that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. One thing I did not realize is how often residents and interns needed procedures. For example, my ICU rotation had three residents all low on central and a lines, and obviously they should get all the chances they need to get their numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

San Juan,
Hey I know your doing surgery so you will be fine with the procedures. But here are a few that I've done:

Too many lacs to count (3 months of trauma/SICU)
5 Subclavian lines start to finish (pneumothorax on my first attempt) and at least 10 J-wired lines
8-10 art lines
10 vaginal deliveries
Also too many pelvics (I did gyn onc during 4th year b/c of the surgery but I forgot that you still had to go fishin downstairs!)
5 intubations (only 3 successful)
1 chest tube
1 thorocentesis
3 arthrocentesis
0 LP but plenty of baby holding while med students interested in peds did them

Forgot to mention the abscess I&D, done about 8 or so.

One thing about procedures, it's gets kind of streaky. I had a classmate do ER the month before me, and he did like 15 LPs. I guess he didn't save any for me.

Anyways, yes I am doing surgery, so I'm not worried about eventual numbers. The fact is, as a student you usually don't do enough procedures frequently and regularly enough to be truly proficient. I guess that's why you have residency.

Future surgical resident here as well.

Agreed...the difference from one person to another as far as experience is astounding.

For me (from what I can remember):

LP: 2
A-line: 2
Subclavian: 1
Femoral line: 3
EJ: 1
IJ: 0
Vag delivery: 5
C-section: 15
Intubation: 10
Arthrocentesis: 2
Thoracentesis: 1
Chest tube: 1
NGT/dobhoff/foley: lots

Now...those are my counts. How many of those I started and then the resident took over...I will never tell! :laugh: