Nurse Practitioner to Dental School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-of-all-trades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all!

If you look at my past posting history, you'll see a long pathway of confusion I had about my career choices (should I be a NP or physician, pre-med or pre-dent, dropping out of NP school, etc.). I've had a lot of doubt about my decision to pursue NP school-but I stuck through and now I'm 2 weeks away from graduating....and now I'm finally sure I made the wrong decision :rofl:

Long story short, I have no job prospects as the NP job market is dismal, I'm not satisfied with my limited education and scope of practice, limited opportunities for career advancement or business ownership in my field, disappointment in being associated with so many others in my field who have such low standards of care...I could go on and on. This is not a bash on the nursing/np profession!! This is just my own personal feelings on my choices.

I've been interested in dentistry for a few years. Back when I first began looking into career options, I shadowed several different physicians and dentists and fell in love with dentistry. I decided not to pursue it at that time for a number of reasons (already in nursing school, doubting my decision to get out of medical/nursing field, family influence, etc.). However, now at the end of NP school, I think I'm finally ready to pursue dentistry. My reasons for wanting this include the chance to own business, significantly expanded education, specialized knowledge in a specific medical field, immediate results from working with hands, genuine interest in the field (based on my limited experience), and others.

My main question for you all is if you think this decision would be wise. As a NP, I know I am already in a great position. I also have seen a lot on these forums and other places about the negative sides of dentistry (debt, decreasing ownership opportunities, etc.). What do you all think? Do you think NP to dentist is a wise decision?

Thank you!

*p.s. I have virtually no debt from undergrad or grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a hard call to make, the fact that you have no debt and a specialized degree already is huge -- you have the ability to earn some real money over the next few decades. That said, if you don't like it, you will eventually get burnt out from being a NP and quit. If doing dentistry is REALLY what you want to do, I say go for it. But make sure you really want to, because you don't want to graduate as a dentist and feel the same as you do now. Assuming your grades are good enough, your class requirement meets dental schools, and you take the DAT and do well (21+), I think it's possible. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
I think I’d first start with working a bit as an NP. How do you really know you don’t like it? Academic setting is not real life.

I know of a nurse who really didn’t like nursing. So they became an NP. Then they didn’t really like that so they became a dentist. Then they really didn’t like that so they went back and specialized in endo. Then they weren’t really so sure about private practice so they went to academics and public health.

The problem was never the professions they were in, it was an internal problem.

A career is a means to an end, it shouldn’t be your whole life.

I think it may make a lot more sense for you since you don’t have debt but this individual has 500k+ in debts

Reactions: 5 users
I think I’d first start with working a bit as an NP. How do you really know you don’t like it? Academic setting is not real life.

I know of a nurse who really didn’t like nursing. So they became an NP. Then they didn’t really like that so they became a dentist. Then they really didn’t like that so they went back and specialized in endo. Then they weren’t really so sure about private practice so they went to academics and public health.

The problem was never the professions they were in, it was an internal problem.

A career is a means to an end, it shouldn’t be your whole life.

I think it may make a lot more sense for you since you don’t have debt but this individual has 500k+ in debts

Well said. A career is a means to an end. It is always nice to try and find some satisfaction in a career but not the sole reason for your life.

Reactions: 2 users