Nurses Against Pharmacists Giving Shots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmavixen

foxy pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Quebec Order of Nurses claims pharmacists should not have the right to vaccinate patients:

“A vaccine is a medication that carries risks. Patient evaluation, monitoring after vaccination and emergency intervention are aspects that are not part of pharmacists’ practice and competence,” said Gyslaine Desrosiers, president of the Order of Nurses

Given that American pharmacists routinely administer flu shots, I'm curious about the American experience; whether monitoring for adverse effects exceeds our scope of practice.
 
If anything, monitoring is and will always be a part of our scope of practice. It is the administering that is the problem. Nurses are more cost effective than pharmacists in giving out immunization so there isnt much of a problem here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on the exact language in each State's pharmacy practice act. It took a couple decades for all states to allow pharmacists to vaccinate (required amending practice acts in some states), I think New York was the last one to get on board.
 
something pharmacists may learn about nurses, as pharmacy becomes more clinical, and something physicians have already learned (the hard way), when it comes to them, is that they are often only concerned with the bottom line ( $$ & turf )

they will find plenty of bogus studies to prove that they are equally effective as primary care docs, as anethesiologists, dermatologists, ob/gyn docs, etc..at doing their jobs. They are very protective of their turf, and what they perceive as their turf, and have a strong lobby across the board.
 
What sort of data are they basing this on

Last week, the Order of Pharmacists came out in favour of pharmacists providing vaccinations in the wake of a study by the Institut national de santé publique du Quebec (INSPQ).

The study, done on behalf of Quebec pharmacist-owners, showed that 27% of pharmacies offer vaccinations by a nurse. The study also showed that almost half of the other respondents (44%) plan to offer this service in the next five years.

Several patient safety concerns are raised by the study, Desrosiers said in her position paper, notably how vaccines could be properly preserved in a pharmacy.

Really, where are vaccines usually stored??

In addition, the study is silent on the subject of potential conflicts of interest for pharmacists who sell vaccines and then administer them, she said.

This seems to be akin to saying that drs are in a conflict of interest because they make more money the more procedures they do.
 
I would gladly give it back to the nurses. I am given neither the time nor the resourses to do it properly.

+10000000000000000000000000000000

I saw the title and I am like FINE WITH ME!!! :laugh: They should come up with a law stating only nurses can give shots! :laugh:
 
I would take no pleasure in giving shots.. Let $15 per hour LVN do it.

The retail chains are just greedy as hell. That's why pharmacists are force to do it. 🙄 Retail chains will steal business from anyone, it's the doctor's office thats suppose to administer shots.

I am just glad I am done with that immunzation BS. I will never have to do that crap ever again! lol...
 
The goal of advancing pharmacy practice should be to provide more cognitive services. I almost feel that giving shots is a step back. You don't have to agree.
 
The goal of advancing pharmacy practice should be to provide more cognitive services. I almost feel that giving shots is a step back. You don't have to agree.

I agree 100%. Retail pharmacists should charge money for every question they answer. Why should counseling be free? Should cost $$$ just like a regular MD appointment.

Shots=Nurses job, but again retail will do anything to make money, including stealing away other people's jobs! 🙄
 
The retail chains are just greedy as hell. That's why pharmacists are force to do it. 🙄 Retail chains will steal business from anyone, it's the doctor's office thats suppose to administer shots.

I am just glad I am done with that immunzation BS. I will never have to do that crap ever again! lol...


So I'm guessing you're going for hospital jobs only? Every single chain is going to require pharmacists to immunize since it makes us way too much money. We did 3,500 flu shots last year and almost 3,000 this year, so I'm glad it's almost over for us. I gave 5 today and it's freakin February haha.
 
So I'm guessing you're going for hospital jobs only? Every single chain is going to require pharmacists to immunize since it makes us way too much money. We did 3,500 flu shots last year and almost 3,000 this year, so I'm glad it's almost over for us. I gave 5 today and it's freakin February haha.

1) Mail order
2) Nuclear
3) Hospital
4) Independent Compounding pharmacy

If all else fails then I will look into Costco...hopfully they don't have any flu shots! lol....
 
Giving shots was cool when I was an intern for the first few times...after that forget it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Mail order
2) Nuclear
3) Hospital
4) Independent Compounding pharmacy

If all else fails then I will look into Costco...hopfully they don't have any flu shots! lol....

Mail Order? Please tell me that you're not serious; I'm hoping that you've interned at a few of those places before. I know there's no direct patient contact, but just be ready to do the same thing and see the same people day after day. I guess it wouldn't be too bad if you have kids and get to do that at home. BTW, indies are moving to immunization as well if their patient base is getting hit. Costco is definitely moving in the immunization direction. They're basically following Walmart and Walmart had some clinics this year. One immunization script actually count as 3 scripts for us, since the price margin is so high on them.
 
The goal of advancing pharmacy practice should be to provide more cognitive services. I almost feel that giving shots is a step back. You don't have to agree.

We're fighting with nurses on immunization and we're fighting with physicians for medication management. Both of them have better representation than we do. If APHA was more powerful, we'll move in a much quicker manner with MTMs...cause right now it's really not too much of our bottomline.

Giving shots was cool when I was an intern for the first few times...after that forget it.

Exactly how I feel man. Actually I don't even have a response to flu shots anymore. I've given over 3,000 shots myself and it's just so routine now. I basically draw it up and give it in less than a minute. During the peak period, we had basically 1 pharmacist the whole day (only 2 hr overlap) and we gave around 50 shots a day and 350-400 scripts on top of that.
 
Mail Order? Please tell me that you're not serious; I'm hoping that you've interned at a few of those places before. I know there's no direct patient contact, but just be ready to do the same thing and see the same people day after day. I guess it wouldn't be too bad if you have kids and get to do that at home. BTW, indies are moving to immunization as well if their patient base is getting hit. Costco is definitely moving in the immunization direction. They're basically following Walmart and Walmart had some clinics this year. One immunization script actually count as 3 scripts for us, since the price margin is so high on them.

My dream job is to work from home doing mail order. Can I do that even without kids?

Or nuclear won't be too bad either...I can work the night shift by myself, that way I don't have to see anyone. 👍
 
My dream job is to work from home doing mail order. Can I do that even without kids?

Or nuclear won't be too bad either...I can work the night shift by myself, that way I don't have to see anyone. 👍

There are about 30 employees in my pharmacy at night...and the RPh is the PIC. You're running the ship. If people skills aren't your forté, I would reconsider. 😉
 
My dream job is to work from home doing mail order. Can I do that even without kids?

Or nuclear won't be too bad either...I can work the night shift by myself, that way I don't have to see anyone. 👍

Haha, you seem like you don't like too much patient contact. However, if you don't have any kids, I highly recommend against working at home for your full time job. You may not see it now, but there is definitely a lot of value in actually "going" to work. The drive there, people you work with, and even customers can often drive you crazy, but if you have none of the above, you'll go crazy a lot faster. Usually these positions are for moms because they "have to" take care of things at home and family business is top priority.

Night shifts...that's another story. When people are out partying, you're stuck at work....when people are working, you're sleeping. Pretty bad for your social life....but hey these overnight shifts are always taken so people must really enjoy them.
 
I used to work from home. Not all it's cracked up to me. There were days I just schlepped around the house in my PJ's all day. I also ate a lot more junk food and got less exercise. I think it sapped my motivation. I think it's harder to get things done because there are more pleasant distractions at home than at a job site.
 
There are about 30 employees in my pharmacy at night...and the RPh is the PIC. You're running the ship. If people skills aren't your forté, I would reconsider. 😉

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

I thought you work ALONE!!!!!
 
Wow...30 people? That's crazy. It's only the pharmacist in retail pharmacies, so I guess you're stuck doing retail if you like to be by yourself.

Granted, I work in a large pharmacy...they're obviously not all staffed this way. But regardless of the location, you're still going to be the one who calls the shots and takes a leadership role. It's no dungeon job where you keep to yourself all night...
 
I used to work from home. Not all it's cracked up to me. There were days I just schlepped around the house in my PJ's all day. I also ate a lot more junk food and got less exercise. I think it sapped my motivation. I think it's harder to get things done because there are more pleasant distractions at home than at a job site.

Haha, you seem like you don't like too much patient contact. However, if you don't have any kids, I highly recommend against working at home for your full time job. You may not see it now, but there is definitely a lot of value in actually "going" to work. The drive there, people you work with, and even customers can often drive you crazy, but if you have none of the above, you'll go crazy a lot faster. Usually these positions are for moms because they "have to" take care of things at home and family business is top priority.

Night shifts...that's another story. When people are out partying, you're stuck at work....when people are working, you're sleeping. Pretty bad for your social life....but hey these overnight shifts are always taken so people must really enjoy them.

I was thinking I could just work from home on Mondays to Thursdays or work extra hard on Mondays to Wednesdays and have Friday, Saturday and Sunday as PARTY DAYS!!! 😀 I can go out on the weekends and have fun, but just work at home during Monday to Thursday or maybe even Wednesday only.

A4MyD did you try to schedule some days off so that you can go OUT?

I mean obviously I wouldn't stay at home FOREVER. I am hoping I get a few days off or even just the weekends OFF to go out and party! 🙂

That has always been my plan all along! Tell me if I am being too naive please. I have never had a full time job in my life so I don't really know what to expect when I finally have to work full time.
 
There are about 30 employees in my pharmacy at night...and the RPh is the PIC. You're running the ship. If people skills aren't your forté, I would reconsider. 😉


I need to bring back "Hey Caver" thread... got a lot of updates.

Looking for old prime FD lenses for video. But my god.. FD 85mm F1.2 still fetches close to $1,000!!!
 
She don't work. She's in management... I think now she travels the country and trains people in karate or something.

The Spongebob king of karate episode is a good one.

I need to get out of this house......too bad a 4 foot drift is against the entire front.
 
Look at this beauty... I bet it creates silky smooth crazy bokeh. 😍

cdikobcgkkgrhqrjye0c1jd.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah f1.8 is fast enough...but f1.2 is special.

DSLR video is causing the old lens market to move I think...
 
It's 14 degrees here.. we're iced in. I hope my sprinkler pipes don't burst.

Like how much ice are we talking here? It's 12 here.....with a forecasted low of -6. Awesome. I want to punch my husband in the throat already and its only been one day.
 
I see, I see. But it's not like you're going to quit shooting still/portraits. If you're going to drop that much on and old lens, why not get EF?


Oh, I don't plan to buy 85mm f1.2 EF or FD... it's $2000+ I really was looking for 24 to 28mm prime for dirt cheap...like $50. I already have 50mm 1.4.. but if I can find a nice priced 50mm f1.2 FD, I'll pick it up...

Need to save up for 500mm F4.
 
Like how much ice are we talking here? It's 12 here.....with a forecasted low of -6. Awesome. I want to punch my husband in the throat already and its only been one day.


About a 1/2 inch layer of ice all around. You need to live in a larger house... I can close my office door and cut off my family.
 
I've seen a flu shot adminsitered through a drive thru window (one of the windows that opens up like at McDonalds). The ability to vaccinate has been bastardized by the retail companies.
 
I've seen a flu shot adminsitered through a drive thru window (one of the windows that opens up like at McDonalds). The ability to vaccinate has been bastardized by the retail companies.

This thread has been de-railed, how dare you try and get it back on track.......
 
I've seen a flu shot adminsitered through a drive thru window (one of the windows that opens up like at McDonalds). The ability to vaccinate has been bastardized by the retail companies.

LOL. I really had a patient ask me this one time at Walgreens. If you've worked at walgreens, you know that we don't have a window that opens....we have a little drawer to gos in and out. I looked at her and asked her if she could give me any advice on how this would be possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like how much ice are we talking here? It's 12 here.....with a forecasted low of -6. Awesome. I want to punch my husband in the throat already and its only been one day.

Weak! There is currently a thundersnow blizzard outside my window as we speak...
 
Weak! There is currently a thundersnow blizzard outside my window as we speak...

We had that last night.....it's Oklahoma's leftovers.

A civil emergency was just broadcast over via the emergency broadcast system warning people to not drive because the national guard would not be available to rescue them tonight. Apparently all of us damn okies like to get out and rubberneck in our 4x4 Dodge Rams.
 
Weak! There is currently a thundersnow blizzard outside my window as we speak...

We had thundersnow last week in the "blizzard" that shut down DC roads. Luckily I took the metro and was watching it from my couch! 🙂