Nurses Against Pharmacists Giving Shots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😡 .... don't try this at home. I took apart a camera lens. Granted, this lens has not been used in over 20 years...maybe 30 and it's an antique... I thought looked a little dirty and I could take it a part, clean it and put it back together. Well, I can't put it back together.. crap.

mg9695.jpg
 
Another hard freeze tonight. I never did get around to buying that windshield scraper. Damnit. Gotta wake up 10 minutes early. Arizonans shouldn't have to do this. Tomorrow's high: 45.
 
Another hard freeze tonight. I never did get around to buying that windshield scraper. Damnit. Gotta wake up 10 minutes early. Arizonans shouldn't have to do this. Tomorrow's high: 45.

Down here in Tucson it is only suppose to get up to 38. I guess I will have to put away the shorts and flip-flops for a day or two.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen a flu shot adminsitered through a drive thru window (one of the windows that opens up like at McDonalds). The ability to vaccinate has been bastardized by the retail companies.

I figure the next thing will be a pharmacist standing out in the parking lot giving shots to people in thier car. 30 minutes outside then run back inside and check scripts for 30 minutes then back outside.....Don't laugh! Just remember I predicted it.
 
I figure the next thing will be a pharmacist standing out in the parking lot giving shots to people in thier car. 30 minutes outside then run back inside and check scripts for 30 minutes then back outside.....Don't laugh! Just remember I predicted it.

i have had to this a couple times in the last 2 years. always with an 94 y/o lady who cant walk into a store. sorry to break the news to you but this is already happening and as part of your jobs we kinda have to

on another note, i think a thread should be started on Pharmacists against CrNPs/PAs being able to prescribe anything. Ever.
 
I am at a full service immunizing center Walgreens. We have pretty much every vaccine. In reality, we only regularly administer flu and Zostavax. They bought a special freezer for the zostavax.
My old store was last in flu shots. There was a lot of pettiness between the manager and supervisor about this issue. The rxs blamed the manager solely for the problem. I wasn't blamed for this because the rxs believed I was trying my best to sell the vaccines. This long standing dispute between them ended when the rxm decided to step down.
 
Nevermind.


You must be bored. So since schools are closed, it feels like a holiday...but I'm not...I have a load of work to do but don't feel like it. I could use a student... hmmm... do you think any one would want to rotate through my office? I would have them do so much stuff... like fix my lens.
 
You must be bored. So since schools are closed, it feels like a holiday...but I'm not...I have a load of work to do but don't feel like it. I could use a student... hmmm... do you think any one would want to rotate through my office? I would have them do so much stuff... like fix my lens.

No one wants to come rotate through your office. You would make the poor soul do your crap work like shine your clubs.

My friend in fw says power is spotty......at least we have power. We may not be able to get out of the driveway till next Tuesday, but by God we have power.
 
No one wants to come rotate through your office. You would make the poor soul do your crap work like shine your clubs.

My friend in fw says power is spotty......at least we have power. We may not be able to get out of the driveway till next Tuesday, but by God we have power.


That's why FW sucks. Evidently they never heard of underground utility. Worst case scenario, I can bring my RV here... self sustainable for about 3 to 4 days... only because I need to empty the tanks..

I would actually let the student do interesting stuff...like make antibiograms... answer my phones ... make me coffee and stuff.
 
Down here in Tucson it is only suppose to get up to 38. I guess I will have to put away the shorts and flip-flops for a day or two.

I am in Tucson. Last night's weather service said 45. If it's 38 though, I am happy. I have been in class all morning though so I don't know how cold it is right now. Guess I will find out soon. I love the cold! Just not scraping my windshield or slipping on ice.
 
😡 .... don't try this at home. I took apart a camera lens. Granted, this lens has not been used in over 20 years...maybe 30 and it's an antique... I thought looked a little dirty and I could take it a part, clean it and put it back together. Well, I can't put it back together.. crap.

How old is that camera?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think you can.... it's pretty complicated. It's not as simple as an engine...

Take it to a camera shop, preferably one that's been around for a few years. Someone who's been working with cameras awhile and is a tinkerer could probably fix it.
 
i have had to this a couple times in the last 2 years. always with an 94 y/o lady who cant walk into a store. sorry to break the news to you but this is already happening and as part of your jobs we kinda have to

on another note, i think a thread should be started on Pharmacists against CrNPs/PAs being able to prescribe anything. Ever.

Okay, you should NOT be delivering flu vaccines through drive-through windows, or to 94 y.o. women who can't/won't come into the store. I hope she didn't drive herself there. If she got in the car, she can certainly get out. If not, she needs to be in a home, where they can give her a shot there.

After every vaccine, a patient should be monitored for 15 minutes. Every time. Yes, the chances that a bad reaction will happen are slim, but they're there. The patient certainly shouldn't be driving. Just what we need, some person to faint after receiving a shot from a drive-through pharmacy and to crash. Talk about lawsuits and potentially losing a pharmacist license.

If these things are happening, then the nurses have a point, provided they themselves keep the patient in the office for 15 minutes after the patient gets a vaccine. Seriously, doctors should want pharmacists to distribute vaccines. It's expensive to keep them and somewhat of a pain to distribute them. Personally, I think it helps to have the vaccines so readily available in drugstores, from a public health standpoint. I don't like how some of the chains are working the vaccine process and the staff, but not all pharmacies work like that.
 
Maybe the 94 yo woman's caregiver drove her to the store? Maybe she can walk assisted but it's really difficult or painful? I don't think shots should be given through the drive through window (and think thats logistically difficult anyway) but don't really have a problem with the RPh walking out to the car and doing it, if the pharmacist feels he has time to do so.

And as far as monitoring the patient for 15 minutes, it doesn't happen. At least not at many doctor offices and definitely not at the "drive through flu clinics" that they have around here. We had a huge drive through clinic for H1N1 last year. You got your shot and then drove off.
 
I was thinking I could just work from home on Mondays to Thursdays or work extra hard on Mondays to Wednesdays and have Friday, Saturday and Sunday as PARTY DAYS!!! 😀 I can go out on the weekends and have fun, but just work at home during Monday to Thursday or maybe even Wednesday only.

A4MyD did you try to schedule some days off so that you can go OUT?

I mean obviously I wouldn't stay at home FOREVER. I am hoping I get a few days off or even just the weekends OFF to go out and party! 🙂

That has always been my plan all along! Tell me if I am being too naive please. I have never had a full time job in my life so I don't really know what to expect when I finally have to work full time.

:laugh:

Umm. Life doesn't work like that. Seriously. Finding a job you like takes compromise. And a lot of pharmacies are open 24/7/365. They need to be staffed, and usually, the newer you are, the worse shifts you get. Plus, if you do work the night shift, it's hard to switch back to being up during the day, especially the older you get.

And exactly how are you supposed to be a pharmacist from home? I'm sure there's a few jobs out there, but they're few and far between.

Have you ever thought about writing romance novels? Sounds like it'd be a perfect fit. You can work at home, go out when you want to, and be famous. Plus, you can go on those romance writers cruises. So much more fun than pharmacy, too.
 
Maybe the 94 yo woman's caregiver drove her to the store? Maybe she can walk assisted but it's really difficult or painful?

And as far as monitoring the patient for 15 minutes, it doesn't happen. At least not at many doctor offices and definitely not at the "drive through flu clinics" that they have around here. We had a huge drive through clinic for H1N1 last year. You got your shot and then drove off.

I just don't think we should be going out to a car to give someone a shot. It may be painful for someone to walk, and I understand that. My mom spends a lot of time in a wheelchair, and it's not easy for her to get around. But I don't see a doctor's office going out to a car to help someone unless it's an emergency. I'm sure this woman has to get out of the car to talk with her doctor. If she has a hard time coming into the pharmacy, then she should be getting her flu shot at the doctor's.

Drive-through clinics sound like a really bad idea to me. Eventually, someone will have a bad reaction to a vaccine, and the results will not be good if they're driving (or even if they're in a car with no medical help around). With as many anti-vaccine people there are now, the last thing we need is someone to get in a wreck after getting a vaccine.

When my husband got his flu shot at the pharmacy, the pharmacist told us to stick around in the store for 15 minutes, just in case. I don't think we need to stare at people and make them sit around, but telling them not to drive would be a good standard of care, whether they get their vaccine from a doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.
 
:laugh:

Umm. Life doesn't work like that. Seriously. Finding a job you like takes compromise. And a lot of pharmacies are open 24/7/365. They need to be staffed, and usually, the newer you are, the worse shifts you get. Plus, if you do work the night shift, it's hard to switch back to being up during the day, especially the older you get.

And exactly how are you supposed to be a pharmacist from home? I'm sure there's a few jobs out there, but they're few and far between.

Have you ever thought about writing romance novels? Sounds like it'd be a perfect fit. You can work at home, go out when you want to, and be famous. Plus, you can go on those romance writers cruises. So much more fun than pharmacy, too.

There are definetly work at home mail order jobs. I know people that do that and here is a website on it. Those pharmacists just verify prescriptions from home without dealing with anyone. http://www.medcohealth.com/medco/corporate/home.jsp?ltSess=y&articleID=CorpDiversity

But I am not sure how hard it is to get a dream job like that. I am sure everyone wants that job so I am sure the competition is keen.

I do read a lot of novels and I would write novels if the paid is guarantee six figures. I can't live without at least a six figure salary. You are definetly right though romance novels are much more fun and interesting compare to pharmacy.
 
I do read a lot of novels and I would write novels if the paid is guarantee six figures. I can't live without at least a six figure salary. You are definetly right though romance novels are much more fun and interesting compare to pharmacy.
Romance novels? If only I could find the link a friend sent me once, with the most ridiculous quotes out of romance novels... please don't tell me someone presumably rational enough to go into pharmacy school could seriously write something this trashy and not die of laughter in the process. 😀
 
Romance novels? If only I could find the link a friend sent me once, with the most ridiculous quotes out of romance novels... please don't tell me someone presumably rational enough to go into pharmacy school could seriously write something this trashy and not die of laughter in the process. 😀

LOL...I was just joking around. I love reading novels and if I can be as good as the author of Harry Potter then I would consider writing for a living...but it most likely won't be romance novels! lol...I read some romance but I usually don't read romance novels.
 
But I don't see a doctor's office going out to a car to help someone unless it's an emergency. I'm sure this woman has to get out of the car to talk with her doctor. If she has a hard time coming into the pharmacy, then she should be getting her flu shot at the doctor's.

This. If we start going out to people's cars to administer non-emergency care, it will become an expected standard. Millions of disabled people manage to get themselves into their doctors' offices one way or another. If they can get out of their car for their doctor, they can get out of their car for us.

In general, I deplore the rise of drive-thru pharmacy. We should never have allowed that to happen.
 
This. If we start going out to people's cars to administer non-emergency care, it will become an expected standard. Millions of disabled people manage to get themselves into their doctors' offices one way or another. If they can get out of their car for their doctor, they can get out of their car for us.

In general, I deplore the rise of drive-thru pharmacy. We should never have allowed that to happen.

The VA where I did medical school offered drive-through flu shots every year. I'm with you on perception though... I think having a drive-through pharmacy is ridiculous and added flu shots to that doesn't help.
 
The VA where I did medical school offered drive-through flu shots every year. I'm with you on perception though... I think having a drive-through pharmacy is ridiculous and added flu shots to that doesn't help.

Back in my home town one of the largest physician groups does drive up flu shots every year out in the parking lot.

The Univesity of Kansas has thier nursing students do a drive up flu shot clinc every year to train them on giving shots. I remember my wife doing it and I think it was in December and was cold as hell outside.

That is why I predict retail chains will take the next step and offer drive up flu shots in the parking lot. It is the next logical step to bastardize the profession. I can see some poor pharmacist sitting in one of those folding camp chairs out in the parking lot freezing there ass off giving shots in December. Add a 50 gallon barrel with a fire in it and the picture is perfect. Don't laugh it will happen soon.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Back in my home town one of the largest physician groups does drive up flu shots every year out in the parking lot.

The Univesity of Kansas has thier nursing students do a drive up flu shot clinc every year to train them on giving shots. I remember my wife doing it and I think it was in December and was cold as hell outside.

That is why I predict retail chains will take the next step and offer drive up flu shots in the parking lot. It is the next logical step to bastardize the profession. I can see some poor pharmacist sitting in one of those folding camp chairs out in the parking lot freezing there ass off giving shots in December. Add a 50 gallon barrel with a fire in it and the picture is perfect. Don't laugh it will happen soon.

Oh c'mon, can't I at least laugh at that part?
 
An LPN at $14 an hour is qualified to give shots. Hell, a medical assistant with a GED is qualified to give shots.

If that's what pharmacists think of as the future of their profession, then they deserve to be unemployed.

Hint, hint, physicians rarely do immunization shots. You're not playing doctor by giving shots, you're playing second-rate nurse.
 
An LPN at $14 an hour is qualified to give shots. Hell, a medical assistant with a GED is qualified to give shots.

If that's what pharmacists think of as the future of their profession, then they deserve to be unemployed.

Hint, hint, physicians rarely do immunization shots. You're not playing doctor by giving shots, you're playing second-rate nurse.

Agreed! Except I would say we are playing second rate GED medical assisatant. If a minimally trained $10 medical assistant can give shots why can't pharmacy technicians?
 
I've heard of some Kaiser's that offer a drive-up flu shot option. Of course they tell them that they should stay around for 15 minutes to be sure they dont have any adverse reactions. Ive even heard that they have a little 'driving course' to keep them occupied during that time.