nurses are miserable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleep_addict

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every time a nurse has spoken to me, it's either "what did you do?!?!" or "stopping leaning on my door board."

Today was the worst so far. My 5 year-old patient was screaming that her IV hurt, and when I told the nurse about it, she gave me this nasty rant about who's in charge. I was just shocked and felt like crap at that point, but when the intern came over to give me some comforting advice, my eyes teared up.

I know it's not a big deal, but why do they get to be so abusive? I'm in general not an unpleasant or arrogant person, but I refuse to take some people's advice of sucking up to them to get them to behave like decent human beings. Apparently no one can do anything about this, and interns can have completely miserable nights on call from having to deal with bitchy nurses.

The plan from now on is avoid them at all cost.

Members don't see this ad.

They could be miserable for any number of reasons, so I am of the belief (and practice) that I will only judge a person after repeated exposures to them in different circumstances.
If you find a trend in their behavior, chances are they've got inferiority complexes, a personality disorder, or a nasty boss(*)... and med students are traditionally the psychotic-midlevel/nurse-displacement pegs of the medical world :).

* Note: Above does not apply to practitioners of any level within Ob-Gyn as misery is teleological there.

Every time a nurse has spoken to me, it's either "what did you do?!?!" or "stopping leaning on my door board."

Today was the worst so far. My 5 year-old patient was screaming that her IV hurt, and when I told the nurse about it, she gave me this nasty rant about who's in charge. I was just shocked and felt like crap at that point, but when the intern came over to give me some comforting advice, my eyes teared up.

I know it's not a big deal, but why do they get to be so abusive? I'm in general not an unpleasant or arrogant person, but I refuse to take some people's advice of sucking up to them to get them to behave like decent human beings. Apparently no one can do anything about this, and interns can have completely miserable nights on call from having to deal with bitchy nurses.

The plan from now on is avoid them at all cost.

Ironically enough, the thread under this one is entitled "jerk residents". You will find insecure idiots in any field. Just say "sorry, I didn't know" and walk away. Pick your battles and don't lose any sleep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent several months volunteering in the ER on the same shift, so I was with the same nurses the entire time. I noticed that most nurses are very bitter and miserable. I never noticed any of the doctors acting "superior" but I did overhear several nurses talking negatively about them. I did not understand it at all. Maybe it is an inferiority thing.

Ironically enough, the thread under this one is entitled "jerk residents". You will find insecure idiots in any field. Just say "sorry, I didn't know" and walk away. Pick your battles and don't lose any sleep.

Excellent point about the "jerk residents" thread, or the "nurses who don't know their limitations" thread right next to that.

But, is the take home point that there are jerks at every level, or that there are whiners/complainers at every level.

In the surgical forum, the residents are b@#ching about the students. In the nursing forum, they are b@#ching about both of us. My opinion is that our broken antagonistic medical culture just produces a lot of b@#ches.

It was common practice as a medical student when we got together to basically complain about and make fun of everything around us. That has changed somewhat in residency, but not that much........

Today was the worst so far. My 5 year-old patient was screaming that her IV hurt, and when I told the nurse about it, she gave me this nasty rant about who's in charge.

Beg pardon, but wtf does being "in charge" have to do with a screaming 5 yo? Stupid bint. Get off myspace and go check your patient.

I hope you get some slightly less crappy nurses.

Nothing can be done b/c the system has been allowed to grow that way and people won't/can't take the resources to reset it.

The ridiculousness continues...

I had to get DFA's from a toddler (suck up some snot from his nose) today, and the mother advised me to grab some help to hold him down. I found his nurse in the break room chatting with all the other nurses to ask for a minute of her time, and she basically tells me she can't help me because she doesn't want to mess up her relationship with the patient. -_-

I know this environment makes us all a little hostile, as people have pointed out, but this is just obnoxious.

The ridiculousness continues...

I had to get DFA's from a toddler (suck up some snot from his nose) today, and the mother advised me to grab some help to hold him down. I found his nurse in the break room chatting with all the other nurses to ask for a minute of her time, and she basically tells me she can't help me because she doesn't want to mess up her relationship with the patient. -_-

I know this environment makes us all a little hostile, as people have pointed out, but this is just obnoxious.
... give him a sticker later and he'll forget all about it. WTH.

Yeah yeah, STFU.

Is "bint" short for something? I've heard the term "bitty" from people in my grandparent's generation, but never "bint".

And when did nurses get offices (and therefore "door boards")?

:love:

Apparently it is originally from the Arabic, meaning "girl" and was absorbed into English by soldiers in Egypt during service there. Nowadays, depending on inflection, it has a meaning anywhere from the original to b!tch.

As to the nurses, I've no idea. Only ones I know with them aren't on the floor.

Is "bint" short for something? I've heard the term "bitty" from people in my grandparent's generation, but never "bint".

:confused:

You've seriously never heard the word "bint" before? Come on, it's famous!

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

I love to yell "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

Anyway, although it's a problem commen to both our fields, a LOT more nurses go into the medical field without a passion for it than doctors do. I mean, two years at a CC and you can be an RN and pull down a very respectable income with great job security. So you get a lot of nurses who are doing a job they hate but it pays well so they don't quit and make everyone's lives miserable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or Buffy? Sheesh!

:laugh:

I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom this came to mind.

(PS my old SDN signature quote used to say, "It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They don 't have a rock this big.")

Anyway, although it's a problem commen to both our fields, a LOT more nurses go into the medical field without a passion for it than doctors do. I mean, two years at a CC and you can be an RN and pull down a very respectable income with great job security. So you get a lot of nurses who are doing a job they hate but it pays well so they don't quit and make everyone's lives miserable.
Yeah, I do know a number of people who are going into nursing just for the money and job security, and they don't mind the work. They'd go into something else if they could.

I think you will find that nurses who take care of peds/young children are very protective and always in a bad mood....the same can be true in certain icu's

I've seen this a lot as well - especially at the VA (I just finished a rotation there so I'm especially negative about it right now). A number of the nurses there are just putting in their time until they can cash in on the federal retirement benefits.

Yes, but didn't realize that word was in the movie!

The TV show? Nope. But I am old enough to remember the movie. :)

Ugh. I'm sorry. The Buffy movie is one of the worst tragedies of modern film. The TV show is NOTHING like it, and is one of the best things ever.

I (like many others) had always assumed that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was like "Legally Blond" with vampires...or something...but that's about the furthest thing from the truth. It really is an excellent show...

Everyone in medicine should watch "The Body" (Season 5, Ep. 16). It's probably the best treatise on dealing with the death of a loved one in modern film.

Yes, but didn't realize that word was in the movie!

The TV show? Nope. But I am old enough to remember the movie. :)

Ahhh... I thought your confusion was that you had never heard that quote before.

I've never seen anything Buffy, but I remember going to the Planet Hollywood in Costa Mesa, and they had some stuff from the movie. That's the only thing I know about Buffy.

I loved the Buffy movie- thought it was hilarious. I can't say I like the TV show as much though