Nurses making 10k per week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just going to throw this out there but I'm still a resident and seeing moonlighting WEEKENDS for 10k. As a psychiatrist if you want to eat, you can EAT.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
So how much does that money really get you?
CA state tax will take roughly 2 vs 5% up to 100k. This difference is based upon filing as married vs single.

Last edited:
Cost of living?

This is an assignment in California one could travel to complete over a weekend. You don't necessarily have to live in California.

But yes generally California has a higher cost of living. For some what it offers is worth it, for others not so much.

Edit:I actually misspoke before. CA state tax doesn't really touch that until you start earning more within the state. Effective tax rate up to 100k is 2.94% (married) vs. 5.84% (single). So if you were traveling from out of state, CA taxes don't really make much difference since you are only being taxed on the income you make in the state.

This is an assignment in California one could travel to complete over a weekend. You don't necessarily have to live in California.

But yes generally California has a higher cost of living. For some what it offers is worth it, for others not so much.

Edit:I actually misspoke before. CA state tax doesn't really touch that until you start earning more within the state. Effective tax rate up to 100k is 2.94% (married) vs. 5.84% (single). So if you were traveling from out of state, CA taxes don't really make much difference since you are only being taxed on the income you make in the state.
What do you do for the weekend shift? One day, two days, call? Er, inpatient, prison?

On the one hand, yeah those rates are amazing!

On the other hand, nurses doing this sign up to move across the country to wherever they are needed (probably leaving behind families, mortgages etc). The places desperate enough to pay this are probably flaming dumpster fires of stress and burnout. And within months to years the pandemic will settle down, so these rates will not continue.

It's nice while it lasts for these nurses, but some will cash in briefly and then (probably) things will go back to the old status quo. I do hope, though, that costly lessons like these train healthcare admins to value all of us as healthcare workers more (staff adequately, actually make efforts to retain people, etc). In that sense we might even benefit from the current craziness. And I know physician staffing is different from ICU nursing, but we have had major problems with psychiatrist staffing where I am leading to expensive solutions like locums coverage.

Reactions: 6 users
On the one hand, yeah those rates are amazing!

On the other hand, nurses doing this sign up to move across the country to wherever they are needed (probably leaving behind families, mortgages etc). The places desperate enough to pay this are probably flaming dumpster fires of stress and burnout. And within months to years the pandemic will settle down, so these rates will not continue.

It's nice while it lasts for these nurses, but some will cash in briefly and then (probably) things will go back to the old status quo. I do hope, though, that costly lessons like these train healthcare admins to value all of us as healthcare workers more (staff adequately, actually make efforts to retain people, etc). In that sense we might even benefit from the current craziness. And I know physician staffing is different from ICU nursing, but we have had major problems with psychiatrist staffing where I am leading to expensive solutions like locums coverage.
Travel nursing always pays more. I had a friend who did this. But these rates are way more than she was getting. She lived in an apt. Not much to leave behind. And these places paid for her new living arrangements. She had alot of fun in these new towns! For the short term assignments she didn't say they were stressful. I used to visit her.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just going to throw this out there but I'm still a resident and seeing moonlighting WEEKENDS for 10k. As a psychiatrist if you want to eat, you can EAT.
Even the normal weekend work around here pays 4k for a relatively reasonable workload as a resident

Reactions: 1 user
Even the normal weekend work around here pays 4k for a relatively reasonable workload as a resident

Yes this is a very heavy workload, on site for the entirety of each long shift.

I literally just got a locum ad 2 hours ago:
  • Monday - Thursday 8 hour days
  • March - May (potential for extension)
  • Adult Inpatient
  • 12 patients per day
  • 2 other Physicians in group
  • EPIC EMR
  • Adults only (100% Ages 18+)
  • Must be BC in Psychiatry
  • Must have active NY license
  • Must have COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Hourly Rate: $245
  • Malpractice and Travel: 100% Covered
This kind of job is literally EVERYWHERE.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, you can do this in CA now as a psychiatrist. You'll work hard, but probably not as hard as the travel nurses. But 1099's...eh...no thank you. I'll stick to my salaried job.

Yeah, you can do this in CA now as a psychiatrist. You'll work hard, but probably not as hard as the travel nurses. But 1099's...eh...no thank you. I'll stick to my salaried job.
Why not both? Who isn't side giging these days? Be a millennial and be more #overemployed.

Reactions: 3 users
I literally just got a locum ad 2 hours ago:
  • Monday - Thursday 8 hour days
  • March - May (potential for extension)
  • Adult Inpatient
  • 12 patients per day
  • 2 other Physicians in group
  • EPIC EMR
  • Adults only (100% Ages 18+)
  • Must be BC in Psychiatry
  • Must have active NY license
  • Must have COVID-19 Vaccine
  • Hourly Rate: $245
  • Malpractice and Travel: 100% Covered
This kind of job is literally EVERYWHERE.
While I believe the sentiment you're trying to get across, it's interesting that the job you posted as an example is only $7,840 a week (245x8x4). Even if it were 5 days a week it would still be just as shy of $10k per week. I trust that you do receive ads for jobs paying slightly more.

While I believe the sentiment you're trying to get across, it's interesting that the job you posted as an example is only $7,840 a week (245x8x4). Even if it were 5 days a week it would still be just as shy of $10k per week. I trust that you do receive ads for jobs paying slightly more.
  • ASAP Start - 6+ Months
  • Mon-Fri 40 hours
  • No weekends, no call
  • Must be BC
  • KY license preferred
  • $290 per hour plus travel!
Just received this PM lol

As a travel nurse myself, the supply of 10k/week jobs hasn't been super high. Mostly 2-4 week contracts with lots of competition to get in, and you'll work 60-72 hours in very bad conditions to get it. 5-6k for 36 has been more reasonable to expect nationally.

The response from the hospitals here in Michigan has been to do anything but pay the core staff better, unfortunately. You'd think they'd learn, but, well, Thedacare and all... I'm not sure healthcare administration have enough neuroplasticity to change.

I'm not sure healthcare administration have enough neuroplasticity to change.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."