Nurses (RN's and NP's) immigration to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C2H5OH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has any of the forum participants holding a RN/NP degree immigrated to Australia?

If so, could you please share your experience and provide some guidance through the registration and licensure procedures ?

Members don't see this ad.

A Nursing degree is a guaranteed PR, they get 60 points plus more if you have an offer, considering the fact that the country is facing a serious shortage of nursing staff, there is no problem with them finding work offers, especially in regional areas of the country.

A Nursing degree is a guaranteed PR, they get 60 points plus more if you have an offer, considering the fact that the country is facing a serious shortage of nursing staff, there is no problem with them finding work offers, especially in regional areas of the country.

Thanks, but that I already know ...

I'm a dentist myself, and have gathered quite some information about licensure procedure for foreign trained dentists. Now I'm asking around for the same info for nurses (my wife is a RN, soon to be certified as Critical Care NP) ... like how many exams need to be undertaken, what are the working hours and the pay, etc ...

So if you have information (preferably 1st hand info) about those subjects, please enlighten me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What's better in terms of getting a PR status in Australia - a nursing degree from Canada or obtaining a nursing degree as an international student in Australia, THEN applying for PR? I would think the latter, but I'm not sure.:confused:

What's better in terms of getting a PR status in Australia - a nursing degree from Canada or obtaining a nursing degree as an international student in Australia, THEN applying for PR? I would think the latter, but I'm not sure.:confused:

A local degree from an Australian university will always be looked on more favorably and I do think you get extra points for having obtained a locally accredited degree. However, I do think because of the nursing shortage that it isn't really much of a problem. I'm sure you won't have any problems with a Canadian nursing degree. However, if I were you I would possibly contact the Australian Embassy in Canada and ask to be sure.