Nurses vs MDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewEastCoastRN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a theme echoed throughout these discussions that I think should really be expanded on. I feel that the argument about doctors being "smarter" than nurses reflects the incorrect assumption that nurses became nurses since they weren't "smart" enough to become doctors. This is completely untrue, and all the current and future MDs on this board need to understand this. Nurses became nurses by CHOICE, not as a second choice. Doctors are thoroughly trained in the field of medicine. This training does not necessarily equate being smart. When I was in college, I tutored many PRE-MED students in areas such as physiology, pathology, and pharmacology, students one may say I was "smarter" than. I could have easily gone on to med school with my university record. But I chose to be a nurse for many reasons. I am PROUD to be a nurse. MDs are not smarter than me. They chose to follow the training of medicine, and all the power to them! But for all of you who think you are smarter than nurses because you are going to be a doctor, get off your high horse and open your mind a little bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, pre-meds aren't med students. Lots of people call themselves pre-meds without ever making it to medical school. In addition, tutoring them in any given subject may mean you're more knowledgeable than them in that subject, but that does not mean you are "smarter." In other words, I may know more about volcanoes, but that doesn't mean that I am intrinsically smarter than you.

Second of all, I think it's funny that you are saying you could have easily gotten into medical school. Maybe you could. Maybe not. Thing is, everyone thinks they can easily make it into medical school. My college roommate, with his 2.1 GPA, thought so. The only way to actually know is to apply and get in. Not that I'm saying you have to do that, but otherwise you have no credibility making that statement.

Lastly, I don't know why everyone has this ******ed notion that "everyone is equal -- nobody is better than everyone else -- and that shows that I am a fair-minded person." So we have to say that nurses are equally as intelligent as physicians. :rolleyes:

addicted2hope said:
P.S. So, are more nurses smarter than MDs or more MDs smarter than nurses? :laugh:

I think that was the entire point of the conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP must be having a tough time trying to deal with his/her inferiority complex.
who cares who smarter than who. do your job- take care of your patient, make them better and at the end of the day, go home, realizing that you made a difference in someone's life.

NewEastCoastRN said:
There is a theme echoed throughout these discussions that I think should really be expanded on. I feel that the argument about doctors being "smarter" than nurses reflects the incorrect assumption that nurses became nurses since they weren't "smart" enough to become doctors. This is completely untrue, and all the current and future MDs on this board need to understand this. Nurses became nurses by CHOICE, not as a second choice. Doctors are thoroughly trained in the field of medicine. This training does not necessarily equate being smart. When I was in college, I tutored many PRE-MED students in areas such as physiology, pathology, and pharmacology, students one may say I was "smarter" than. I could have easily gone on to med school with my university record. But I chose to be a nurse for many reasons. I am PROUD to be a nurse. MDs are not smarter than me. They chose to follow the training of medicine, and all the power to them! But for all of you who think you are smarter than nurses because you are going to be a doctor, get off your high horse and open your mind a little bit.
Feeling insecure about your occupation?

Every non-MD (DO, FMG, RN, PA, Pharmacist, lab tech) has run across a couple to a few physicians considered "dumb". Sometimes, the physician IS dumb. Other times, they simply didn't have the whole picture and the physician didn't feel the need to explain his/her own reason to the non-MD (as I sometimes feel). I imagine that it is true the best RNs in the country are probably smarter than the worst MDs from the country, but at the same time it is probably also true that the majority of the MDs have had more training than the majority of the RNs. Smarter or not, MDs are trained differently from RNs and MDs are given more responsibilities in the hospital hiearchy for one reason or another.

this is rediculous. This shows everyone that you are years aways from maturity. Absolutly rediculous even to speculate.

FMG's aren?t MD's anymore? So I guess as a non-physician, if i ever come across a US-MD grad and think their dumb I should say wait...maybe...they arnt giving me the whole picture.

P.S. As long as we are talking about intelligence I think I'll graph mine for you.

TS5.jpg

...This is stupid

Cowboy,

You're graph is classic. You should submit it to the new t-shirt thread.

Rock on,
Dave

Hey, by any chance do you have a tablet pc?
:)

Cowboy DO said:
FMG's aren?t MD's anymore? So I guess as a non-physician, if i ever come across a US-MD grad and think their dumb I should say wait...maybe...they arnt giving me the whole picture.

P.S. As long as we are talking about intelligence I think I'll graph mine for you.

TS5.jpg

...This is stupid

I agree, that was hilarious cowboy DO. :laugh: Anyways, I didn't read the entire first post (my attention span is reading ~2 lines of what anybody has to say these days), but I agree, MD's aren't neccessarily smarter then nurses and vice versa. A lot of where we end up depends on what type of environment we grew up in and what our priorities in life happen to be. Nursing is an excellent career, and the pay for some nurses is currently higher then some physicians when you add up our med school and residency years. However, for a lot of people, income isn't a priority and nursing does actually allow for more patient time (although one of my classmates who was a nurse told me that as a nurse, she hated spending so much time with her patients but as a physician, she liked patients again once she was able to limit the amount of time that she 'had' to spend with them). Personally, I think that any with an IQ greater then 90 could be a physician (70 is medically ******ed), all it takes is a lot of desire to learn the material. It's not rocket science!

dredd said:
I agree, that was hilarious cowboy DO. :laugh: Anyways, I didn't read the entire first post (my attention span is reading ~2 lines of what anybody has to say these days), but I agree, MD's aren't neccessarily smarter then

This is all I managed to read of your post before my attention drifted.

Members don't see this ad :)
kinetic said:
This is all I managed to read of your post before my attention dri..........................................................

:sleep:

BTW - you beat me to every post kinetic - are you always logged on.. ;)

It only seems like it. ;) There's a good five minutes every day that I log off in order to use the restroom.

Remember that there are some very smart people who don't have any common sense. :laugh:

zenman said:
Remember that there are some very smart people who don't have any common sense. :laugh:

Common sense is overrated :laugh:

j/k

There are smart and dumb people everywhere. It does sound like you have a bit of a complex about not going to med school. So may some of us in this profession. But for me I chose nursing due to its flexibility, the choice of changing specialties, and the total patient care aspect. Otherwise I would have gone to med school.

On second thought....nah. Nursing is where I want to be.

Medikit said:
On average pre-nursing students are far cuter than pre-medical students.

Nursing: a bachelor degree.
Thus, pre-nursing students = high school students.

Medicine: a post-bac degree
Pre-med students = college students.

So you think high schoolers are "far cuter" than college students.... just remember to check your local statutory rape laws (unless you are in Mississippi or Alabama).

tofurious said:
So you think high schoolers are "far cuter" than college students.... just remember to check your local statutory rape laws (unless you are in Mississippi or Alabama).

You apply to the nursing program at my school after you take college prereqs. The prereqs usually take two years to complete.

As far as I know, DOs/MDs are higher on the hierarchy than nurses. However, nurses do much work.

My mom is a nurse and my dad's a doctor...They are both really smart and went into their professions by choice.

Cowboy DO said:

TS5.jpg

...This is stupid

dude, I will end this thread with your post. I am feeling more smartur thank you.
:smuggrin: