Nurses will be called Doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I'm going to spend all that time in school so I can practice independently, then I'm going to go to med school, not to a doctoral program in nursing. (But since I'm too old to go to med school, I'll just stay satisfied as an RN in a specialty that allows me a lot of independence...palliative care.)

Members don't see this ad.

ProZackMI said:
That is simply NOT true. In academia, even JDs, who in practice never are referred to as "doctor", are called doctor. A professional doctorate is still a doctorate. In academia, especially in the professional schools, PharmDs, ODs, etc., are called doctor.

i've got to say that this has not been my experience with jd's. in law school, we referred to all of our professors as professor x, not dr. x, and i never came across a single jd in the law school setting who expected to be referred to as "doctor" instead of "professor." as a possessor of a jd, i know that calling a jd "doctor" is just ridiculous, especially in an academic setting. i had to do virtually no independent research to get my degree, and i certainly never had to write anything like a dissertation. imo, it would display a huge amount of gall for a jd to display themselves as academically on par with a ph.d..

ProZackMI said:
The same was true with law school. It's irrelevant that a law degree is three years (so is medical school actually, the last year is all clerkships). I worked my ass for my JD. I was buried in books all the time and slept, drank, and shat law for 4 years! If you think an MD or a JD is an undergrad degree, then I recommend intensive therapy and pharmacological treatment for you, because you are not only uninformed, but delusional.

i know i'm going to sound like a troll here, but that was also not my experience with law school. imo, law school wasn't that much harder and was certainly no more time consuming than undergrad. i studied pretty hard around finals, but i didn't do much other than that -- honestly, i didn't even study on a daily basis. the one caveat here is that i'm a really quick reader. slow readers seemed to need to spend a lot more time studying. also, i wasn't on law review -- i probably would have needed to study a lot to make law review grades. however, that being said, i managed to graduate with honors (3.6 gpa) from a top 15 law school, so it's not rocket science, and it can certainly be done with less effort than you're describing. i still have infinitely more respect for someone who managed to complete something like a dissertation than someone who attended law school. they, imo, are much better educated than i am.

Members don't see this ad :)
exlawgrrl said:
i've got to say that this has not been my experience with jd's. in law school, we referred to all of our professors as professor x, not dr. x, and i never came across a single jd in the law school setting who expected to be referred to as "doctor" instead of "professor." as a possessor of a jd, i know that calling a jd "doctor" is just ridiculous, especially in an academic setting. i had to do virtually no independent research to get my degree, and i certainly never had to write anything like a dissertation. imo, it would display a huge amount of gall for a jd to display themselves as academically on par with a ph.d..

No one said it's on par with a PhD. And, outside of law school, JDs who teach crim justice, admin of justice, and business law are referred to as doctor. If an optometrist or chiropractor can envoke the title, and they are most definitely not on par with a PhD, then so can a JD.

I have never heard of a JD being called Dr. FYI, being better EDUCATED does not mean you are better trained. My wife has a PhD in biochem, but doesn't know prozac from advil.... Nurses being called Dr. is unnecessary...there are too many doctors of different professions as it is.... I am one of them.

Can you imagine the confusion in court if all JD's were called Dr.

;)

BSN said:
Yes RNs carry out the nursing process in which they follow an order of steps such as mentioned. But they do these things within the scope of practice of an RN. For example the diagnosis is a nursing diagnosis not medical diagnosis. It does not mean that they are carrying out the work of a medical doctor that would not only be illegal but unethical.

My point is that the ANA does not clarify this point at all. No layperson, and a good number of students, aren't going to realize this. It would have been simple for the ANA to somehow mention that nurses work with and under the direction of doctors, and that they contribute their own form of dx, tx, etc. But no, they just state that they diagnose and treat. Look at what they say about what nursing is:
Nursing has many definitions, but the essence of nursing is that nurses combine the art of caring with the science of health care. Nursing places its focus not only on a particular health problem, but on the whole patient and his or her response to treatment. Care of the patient and a firm base of scientific knowledge are indispensable elements.

You could place that text onto the webpage of a medical school and replace "nursing" with "medicine" and it would fit right in.

ProZackMI said:
I have this strong hunch that you have a potent version of something I call "degree envy". According to the DSM-IV, degree envy is a condition that primarily affects holders of associates or bachelors degrees who truly, but erroneously believe that they are somehow inferior to those who hold advanced degrees. In your case, you're compensating by diminishing the status and nature of the advanced degree by making it more comparable to the degree you hold. Of course, I am joking, but it sure seems like you're bitter or envious.

ONLY someone who has gone beyond the BA/BS knows what kind of hard work and perseverance is required to earn a master's or doctorate of any kind, be it professional, clinical, or academic/research. Your analysis of degrees betrays your profound ignorance on the subject of higher education. It also shows your bitterness, anger, and jealousy of those who have actually gone beyond the BA/BS. .

I work in higher education. :)

ProZackMI said:
In law, especially in the area of constitutional law, there tend to be two types: strict literalists and liberal interpretationalists. A literalist, like Justice Scalia, believes that the Constitution is clear and says what it says without need for interpretation. An interpretationalist believes that the Constitution (or any body of codified laws such as statutes, ordinances, tax codes, etc.) are living laws and change and evolve with society. An example of this can be found in adjusting criminal laws to accommodate technological advancement (e.g., computer crimes, ATM crimes, etc.). Also, in law, there is a movement toward "plain English" judgments, decisions, decrees, and of course, statutory construction. The theory behind the plain English movement is that if a law is clearly written, and words are assigned their ordinary meanings, then there would be no need for the interpretationalist/literalist dichotomy..

Why are you confusing law with education? I get your point, but it's not working for me!

exlawgrrl said:
i know i'm going to sound like a troll here, but that was also not my experience with law school. imo, law school wasn't that much harder and was certainly no more time consuming than undergrad. i studied pretty hard around finals, but i didn't do much other than that -- honestly, i didn't even study on a daily basis. the one caveat here is that i'm a really quick reader. slow readers seemed to need to spend a lot more time studying. also, i wasn't on law review -- i probably would have needed to study a lot to make law review grades. however, that being said, i managed to graduate with honors (3.6 gpa) from a top 15 law school, so it's not rocket science, and it can certainly be done with less effort than you're describing. i still have infinitely more respect for someone who managed to complete something like a dissertation than someone who attended law school. they, imo, are much better educated than i am.

Based on your comments, someone with a PhD in art history or 18th Century Lithuanian Literature is better educated than you are. You can't compare a PhD with a JD since the JD, like the MD, is a fairly uniform degree, whereas the PhD not only varies from discipline to discipline, but school to school. A PhD can be in any field. Many PhDs are in soft disciplines that require very little intellectual work, others require an inordinate amount of work. It is not a uniform degree, so you really can't/shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about a PhD being "much better educated" than a JD. Some would find that offensive.

In many ways, the first two years of medical school are not much different than the last two years of undergraduate -- a continuation of the basic sciences education. The third year is definitely more advanced, and the clerkships/internships are nothing like undergraduate. I found law school to be consistently more advanced than undergraduate school, and I don't consider myself to be slow, a slow reader, or a ***** (others may disagree, however).

Your JD is a professional doctorate. It's no different than an OD, DDS, DVM, MD, or PharmD. The only difference (other than being non-health) is that JDs don't normally refer to themselves as "doctor" by custom, practice, and convention, whereas most health related professional doctorates insistent on using the title.

lawguil said:
Why are you confusing law with education? I get your point, but it's not working for me!

I thought my post was quite clear. I was using a legal concept to illustrate another concept in higher education. You may not have understood the point, however.

ProZackMI said:
A professional doctorate, like the MD, JD, DDS, PharmD, etc., is a graduate degree because it is classified as a doctor's degree (the title DOCTOR is there for a reason; it's not an undergraduate degree, nor is it a master's degree); it is a degree that has a subject matter that requires a scope, breadth, complexity, and depth far beyond that of an undergraduate degree (usually in analysis, problem-solving, and application of skills as well as a copious amount of subject matter, principles, jargon, and nomenclature). In addition, a professional doctorate is also, usually, but not always, awarded after the receipt of a bachelor's degree.

Let me ask you this: Who classified it as a doctor's degree? It wasn't academia! The professional organizations have the autonomy to decide what the entry level degree will be as they are in control of the accreditation of the programs. The academic institution is at the mercy of the accreditating body. Example: The PharmD, DPT, AudD, so and so on. They were BS trained just a few years ago, however, for political reasons (autonomy, reimbursement, direct access.....) have mandated that entry level is at a clinical doctorate. The only thing that changed for the student is more undergraduate coursework and financial dept. It wasn't changed because the material has the depth, complexity, and scope beyond that of an undergraduate degree! In fact the complexity and depth of the material in a DPT, PharmD, AudD isn't that impressive. There are many undergraduate degrees that offer more depth and complexity than any clinical doctorate that exists. I might add that a MA in philosophy requires a level of intellectual curiosity and academic sophistication that a biology degree cannot match.

I would also add that if a dissertation or thesis aren't relevant to the nature of the profession, neither is a masters or doctorate degree and the profession provides even more evidence of bachelors level education!
You're basically comparing trade school to graduate school. The difference is that professions like medicine, physical therapy, pharmacy, ect need PhD's to teach the material that is academic in nature. Basically you need the PhD's for the didactics before a student becomes a journeyman/woman for their clinical. It's the same thing that auto mechanics, electricians, and plumbers do. I'm not saying that a physical therapist or physician couldn't teach PT or medical student’s gross anatomy, but a physician or PT could never teach anatomy to the level and depth that a student studying to be an anatomist/physiologist would require.

I think that we can agree that medical school is demanding and a lot is thrown at a student over a short period of time. The problem is that the complexity and depth of the material isn't on par with graduate level work. In fact the complexity and depth of the material doesn't compare to undergraduate degrees in physics, chemistry, mathematics, ect. It may very well have equal or more volume, but the complexity and depth aren't there. It has been said best by somebody else on this forum. Medical school is 6 miles wide and 1 mile deep while academic degrees are 6 miles deep and 1 mile wide. I thought this was a neat observation.

Perhaps you don't agree with anything that I say, but I can understand why! It's a hard realization to think of what you have accomplished and then have somebody marginalize what it is you have done. My battle is more about higher education and for students than anything else. Education is a huge, very successful marketing scheme. Truly! At just about every academic institution you will see the faculty vs. administration battles/debates. Clearly the administration have PhD's, but the academic deans are faced with the burden was balancing finances with ethics in academia. For the president it's about balancing quality education, fiscal responsibility, attractive degree programs, and ENROLLMENT! Enrollment means offering to students what sells. In our "graduate programs" the clinical doctorates are selling very well. This is in some ways fueling the problem as it also helps the real graduate programs financially and it helps with grants ect. for research purposes, but it comes at a huge sacrifice. It really has distorted the minds of students who think they are earning a doctorate degree in physical therapy or pharmacy ect. They walk around saying, "I'm working on my doctorate in physical therapy" while the faculty simply laugh. It's embarrassing to work at such a respected institution and see that education itself has been marginalized by professional organizations that mandate these silly titles for political purposes and then the academic institution go along with it. Trust me - it's discussed a fair amount where I work, but there doesn't appear that there is anything that we can do about it in our current academic climate! So long doctors!

lawguil said:
I work in higher education. :)

This may explain why so many American undergrads leave college with a BS/BA and no skills, poor thinking and writing skills, and an inability to engage in critical analysis.

All of your posts have been profoundly negative and quite off base. You've also made some misstatements of fact that serve no basis on this forum. For example, you stated, in one previous post, that a PharmD, DPT, OD, etc., in academic is referred to as Mr./Ms. That is utter nonsense. No one said that a professional degree is = to a PhD in academia. In law and medicine, an MA/MS or a PHD is often required for tenured faculty positions, but it is not always required. Nevertheless, in every symposium I have attended, all the non-PhD and non-MD/DO presenters with PharmDs, ODs, DVMs, DPTs, etc., were referred to as "doctor". In fact, it seems that the DDSs, ODs, DPMs, and DVMs that I know, would insist on being called "doctor" and would find it rude to refer to them as anything else. PharmDs and PhDs don't appear to be as pretentious. I don't know what school you work for, but your comments are grossly inaccurate.

ProZackMI said:
This may explain why so many American undergrads leave college with a BS/BA and no skills, poor thinking and writing skills, and an inability to engage in critical analysis.

All of your posts have been profoundly negative and quite off base. You've also made some misstatements of fact that serve no basis on this forum. For example, you stated, in one previous post, that a PharmD, DPT, OD, etc., in academic is referred to as Mr./Ms. That is utter nonsense. No one said that a professional degree is = to a PhD in academia. In law and medicine, an MA/MS or a PHD is often required for tenured faculty positions, but it is not always required. Nevertheless, in every symposium I have attended, all the non-PhD and non-MD/DO presenters with PharmDs, ODs, DVMs, DPTs, etc., were referred to as "doctor". In fact, it seems that the DDSs, ODs, DPMs, and DVMs that I know, would insist on being called "doctor" and would find it rude to refer to them as anything else. PharmDs and PhDs don't appear to be as pretentious. I don't know what school you work for, but your comments are grossly inaccurate.

If you work at my institution and you hold a clinical doctorate in physical therapy, pharmacy ect, the academic dean and all writen correspondence refers to the individual as Mr/Ms. The clinical doctorates aforementioned are not recognized in academia! The academic degrees that are recognized are written are part of faculty contracts. It is very clearly written what qualifies a person for a faculty position and what education is recognized. If presenting at a conference, I have no dought that these individuals are referred to as Dr, but with the exception of medicine, the clinical doctorates have no recoginition in higher education. They are discussed in our contracts as post-undergraduate training. This is similar across the board in higher education. The individual can introduce themselves however they want - for that matter, so can anybody regardless if they've been to college or not. L.

Members don't see this ad :)
diabeticfootdr said:
Nurses don't make a diagnosis, they perform assessments

Nurses do make nursing diagnoses, which are distinct from medical diagnoses. These diagnoses are, of course, made within the scope of nursing practice, and are a part of the 8,000 care plans that nursing students are required to develop during each clinical rotation.

Check out http://www.nanda.org/ for more information.

diabeticfootdr said:
Nurses don't make a diagnosis, they perform assessments

Assessments are made to come up with a diagnosis. Even my auto mechanic brother has been diagnosing for 30 years,

Merovingienne said:
Nurses do make nursing diagnoses, which are distinct from medical diagnoses. These diagnoses are, of course, made within the scope of nursing practice, and are a part of the 8,000 care plans that nursing students are required to develop during each clinical rotation.

Check out http://www.nanda.org/ for more information.

8,000 care plans during EACH rotation! Wow, that's hardcore. ;)

Not to be a cynic, but from poking around NANDA it seems they just want to sell their books. Even under "internet resources" where they link to the ANA, AACCN, etc they have a link to buy their book. I have yet to learn jack squat about what a "nursing diagnosis" is from that site. But thanks for the link, as from what I'm guessing, this NANDA group is a major force in nursing diagnosing.

Well...the advanced practice nurses {NPs} DO DIAGNOSE. Although they are not doctors, it's within their scope of practice to come up with actual medical diagnosis. ;) I've heard some of them saying it's the best way to practice medicene without ever entering a medical school :D

zenman said:
Assessments are made to come up with a diagnosis. Even my auto mechanic brother has been diagnosing for 30 years,

I really wish that there were just one governing body for all health care professions so that we could eliminate each profession self-defining what it is that they do. It's confusing. Lets face it, nurses do a lot of things and can identify many problems, but diagnosis as we know it the responsibility of practitioners.

Assessment vs. diagnosis as I know it:
Assesment is the process of measurement and quantification or labeling a condition versus the evaluation of a practitioner ends with a conclusion or judgement based on the measurement or evaluation. Basically, with an assessment you don't interpret the results. As far as I know, nurses are not suppose to interpret the results.

NANDA is a joke. The only thing care plans are good for is teaching nursing students what the expected problems are with different diseases and what the appropriate interventions are.

fab4fan said:
NANDA is a joke. The only thing care plans are good for is teachig nursing students what the expected problems are with different diseases and what the appropriate interventions are.

Yep. Most nurses eventually figure out that the nursing diagnosis stuff is a bunch of hogwash. It has been quite helpful for the nursing lobby to use as a tool to say that nursing is totally different than medicine, when in reality it isn't. Of course there are differences in training and practice, but not totally different.

NP's do practice medicine, they just don't admit that to the state governing boards. That is how they maintain independent practice in most states. The state medical boards cannot intervene as it is called "nursing". If they called it medicine, their independent practice would be squashed. Quite brilliant, really. Those RN, JD's are really quite sharp.

Pat

I know that when my pt has a temp, my first thought is "Alteration in thermoregulation (fever) related to infection." :rolleyes:

Well, to be honest, the non-NP clinical instructors at school ram NANDA-approved diagnoses and mark off if we don't use them. But the NP instructors don't think much of nursing diagnoses.

However, diagnosis is part of the nursing process (assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation). If a patient has a prn anti-pyretic prescribed, and the patient spikes a temp, shouldn't the nurse be allowed to 'diagnose' a fever and respond by giving the medicine?

Merovingienne said:
If a patient has a prn anti-pyretic prescribed, and the patient spikes a temp, shouldn't the nurse be allowed to 'diagnose' a fever and respond by giving the medicine?

There's nothing wrong with a nurse making an assessment and responding to a PRN order, but fever is not a diagnosis, it is a symptom.

The diagnosis would be . . . post-op infection, nosocomial pneumonia, drug associated fever, fever of unknown origin, etc. That is made by a physician (or clinician PA,NP).

LCR

diabeticfootdr said:
There's nothing wrong with a nurse making an assessment and responding to a PRN order, but fever is not a diagnosis, it is a symptom.

The diagnosis would be . . . post-op infection, nosocomial pneumonia, drug associated fever, fever of unknown origin, etc. That is made by a physician (or clinician PA,NP).

LCR

Exactly.

It's been over twenty years since I graduated, but I still remember writing those circumlocuitous care plans. ("Alteration in elimination [bowel] related to inactivity, medication, inadequate hydration, yada, yada, yada.")

OK, well the "yada, yada, yada" phrase had yet to come into our lexicon, but you get my drift. Paperwork for the sake of paperwork.

Merovingienne said:
Well, to be honest, the non-NP clinical instructors at school ram NANDA-approved diagnoses and mark off if we don't use them. But the NP instructors don't think much of nursing diagnoses.

However, diagnosis is part of the nursing process (assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation). If a patient has a prn anti-pyretic prescribed, and the patient spikes a temp, shouldn't the nurse be allowed to 'diagnose' a fever and respond by giving the medicine?

When you say non-NP instructors, I hope you mean RN's because I cannot see anyone else in the world being familiar with or using those silly NANDA phrases.

Recognizing a fever is important. It is not a diagnosis. Medical diagnosis will require examining the patient and ordering tests to try and figure out why the patient is having the fever. That is what NP's do and they call it nursing. It is practicing medicine.

I think I have alteration in my sense of reasoning as evidenced by the existance of nursing diagnosis:D

Pat

Pat

fab4fan said:
No Pat, you have an "aura displacement." :p

I'm so hot I think I'm going to do some astral projection.

fab4fan said:

That is my all-time favorite.

I actualy came across it while making a decision about my undergrad for PA.

That careplan should be the litmus test for compatability with nursing school for everybody."Here look at this. Think you can put up with that kind of diagnosis for 4 years without shooting yourself in the head?"

If I had been shown careplans without having to go through a semester of it, it would have been a deal-breaker. I had seen nurses work and talked with them about it and thought I knew what I was getting myself into.
LOL! What they have to learn in school is nothing like what they actualy do.

Nursing Dx are such bullsh*t its unreal. Not only does it make the students frustrated but makes the nursing profession look stupid. They need to go away and nursing needs to refocus on the medical model. I was luck enough to goto Nursing school at a 4 year university science program in Canada. We were very medical model focused where I went (but for a few fossil-like instructors). It make me a better RN and translated into better care for patients.

Stupid NANDA... geez

fab4fan said:

I like that. It's funny. I used to be the master of this stuff in undergrad. I could make up all kinds of crap that the PhD's would think was profound. They actually thought I believed in that garbage! Maybe I should have been an actor :D

Pat

Nursing instructors are so easy.

During my psych rotation we had to do a "process recording," which meant basically that you taped an interview with a psych pt. Then you had to write out what the pt. said, what you said, why you said it, etc., etc., etc.

So I picked a Spanish speaking pt. Since my instructor didn't speak the language, she had to take my word for what I said was going on during that interview. :D

I could have been writing pure fiction and no one would have been the wiser.

FAb4fun and HospPA

So are you guys saying all I have to do is write a bunch of existential nonsense for these care plans in my nursing clinical classes and I'll be a golden child?

I've always been good at BS'ing my way through a college paper.
:p

Is that the secret guys? :D

sunnyjohn said:
FAb4fun and HospPA

So are you guys saying all I have to do is write a bunch of existential nonsense for these care plans in my nursing clinical classes and I'll be a golden child?

Precisely.

Also, even if the pt. doesn't have the problem, there is always the potential for that problem, so make sure you include every single potential problem. (This may mean you write a care plan the size of the phone book for a major city, but your nursing instructors will think you're a genius.)

Forgive the stupid question...but how does the 'nursing model' differ from the medical model?

fab4fan said:
Everything you ever wanted to know about the "nursing model."

I was in a Dean & DeLuca store in Soho and saw Kate Moss breast feeding her kid, now THAT'S A NURSING MODEL.

fab4fan said:
Precisely.

Also, even if the pt. doesn't have the problem, there is always the potential for that problem, so make sure you include every single potential problem. (This may mean you write a care plan the size of the phone book for a major city, but your nursing instructors will think you're a genius.)

Thanks! I was really starting to get nervous about those care plans. I have heard horrors stories of instructors bashing students for "incomplete" plans.

Could you give me an example?

ER-ER-Oh said:
I was in a Dean & DeLuca store in Soho and saw Kate Moss breast feeding her kid, now THAT'S A NURSING MODEL.

I'm calling this **** out...ROTFL!!!!!

sunnyjohn said:
FAb4fun and HospPA

Yep. Look at their facial expressions when they read something, if it shows "good job". Keep feeding them more.

Pat

sunnyjohn said:
Thanks! I was really starting to get nervous about those care plans. I have heard horrors stories of instructors bashing students for "incomplete" plans.

Could you give me an example?

An example of an incomplete care plan problem or a complete one? (I don't want to overexert myself with extra typing. :p )

hospPA said:
When you say non-NP instructors, I hope you mean RN's because I cannot see anyone else in the world being familiar with or using those silly NANDA phrases.

Yes, in RN school our instructors are at the very least RNs w/Master's Degrees in various areas of Nursing. Some are Ph.D's, some are ND's, some are NP's, and I'm getting a CNM for OB this semester.

hospPA said:
Recognizing a fever is important. It is not a diagnosis.

Well, according to NANDA it is! And by gosh I don't think it's my or anyone here's place to second-guess NANDA!

But seriously--it seems like the posters here seem threatened by some organization saying that nurses can 'diagnose' a fever. All of the NANDA 'diagnoses' are equally as innocuous, and they are little used if at all in the hospital, so if they don't even have any bearing on the practice of medicine, why all the passionate feelings against them? It's not like they are training us that a nursing diagnosis is more relavant than a medical one...

I'm just against them because they have no practical merit in the clinical seting. Unfortunately, many of the "leaders" in the nursing profesion take NANDA very seriously, which is why many of us are stuck having to deal with them. :rolleyes:

Like I said, they're OK for teaching students. Funny how when I was a student (a long time ago) we stressed out over having to write nursing dx.; now students can just buy a book with all of the NANDA dx. already written out. (We also had to hand write our drug cards and carry them around in recipe boxes...remember those days, Pat?)

Merovingienne said:
All of the NANDA 'diagnoses' are equally as innocuous, and they are little used if at all in the hospital, so if they don't even have any bearing on the practice of medicine, why all the passionate feelings against them? It's not like they are training us that a nursing diagnosis is more relavant than a medical one...

Bottom line: because they make nurses look FOOLISH to everyone else in the healthcare arena. That's all. It's that strive to try and convince everyone that nursing is different from medicine in every way that make doctors and other medical people resent the profession as a whole. Too bad really, because nurses do a lot of good. Their time could be spent much more appropriately than on nursing diagnosis.

Pat

hospPA said:
Bottom line: because they make nurses look FOOLISH to everyone else in the healthcare arena. That's all. It's that strive to try and convince everyone that nursing is different from medicine in every way that make doctors and other medical people resent the profession as a whole. Too bad really, because nurses do a lot of good. Their time could be spent much more appropriately than on nursing diagnosis.

Pat
As an RN I feel the same way, and it was voiced to me by other health professionals as well.So Amen to that :D

Subjective-Objective-Assessment-Plan. Now y'all give it a whirl.

My friend just got a bartending certificate that is called "Doctor of Mixology"

I've got one of those. From back in the day (Before I was even an RT and a NAVY Corpsman!)....But I don't wave it in front of my patients;)

Since when did MDs/DOs corner the market on "Doctor?" I thought JDs, PhDs, PharmDs, EdDs, SciDs,etc held doctoral degrees....I once had an MD tell me that he was a doctor and the PhDs held advanced degrees in "thinkology."

Maybe MDs/DOs need to ease up a little or find a new name. Sadly enough, referring to physicians as "Doctor" is appropriate but this act seems to forget the rest of the folks that studied for many years to receive doctoral degrees in their areas of interest.

It's probably to late and to difficult to reeducate society...............

Frankly, the only title I get hooked up on is "Dad."

WMUPAS said:
Since when did MDs/DOs corner the market on "Doctor?" I thought JDs, PhDs, PharmDs, EdDs, SciDs,etc held doctoral degrees....I once had an MD tell me that he was a doctor and the PhDs held advanced degrees in "thinkology."

Maybe MDs/DOs need to ease up a little or find a new name. Sadly enough, referring to physicians as "Doctor" is appropriate but this act seems to forget the rest of the folks that studied for many years to receive doctoral degrees in their areas of interest.

The problem is not people being called "doctor," The problem is people being called "doctor" in a clinical setting since there are inherent expectations that go along with the title (from staff and patients). The bottom line is that only physicians should be referred to as "doctor" in a clinical setting, outside of that setting I doubt that anyone really cares what people call themselves.